Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mince pies and when to eat them…

(58 Posts)
GrannySeaside51 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:08:44

Mince pies are appearing in the shops now and I find them a terrible temptation to not buy now. Unless I have a weak moment I do try not to eat mince pies until December - what about you?

Prentice Tue 11-Oct-22 15:26:30

GrannySeaside51 I have weak moments all the time, we are human after all.
Some shop bought ones are better than others, can you recommend some?
On another Christmas thread, there are ideas for out of date jars of mincemeat, it is a lovely Christmas treat, a warm mince pie with a cup of tea.My husband has burned his mouth more than once eating them from the oven, also our son, men can never wait.

Grannybags Tue 11-Oct-22 15:28:47

I try and wait till December although when there are so many different types you have to start trying them out early to make sure you choose the nicest ones for Christmas… wink

Nell8 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:29:52

Granny Seaside I do like mince pies, especially warmed up. Sadly they don't like me and give me heartburn. I need to find a milder version. (M&S will probably offer us a Marmite flavoured mince pie, like they did for hot cross buns.)

I'd say enjoy your weak moments and don't deny yourself the pleasure in advance. There's plenty more Christmassy foods to wait for and it's not as if your tucking into a turkey dinner every day!

aggie Tue 11-Oct-22 15:30:21

I have some I made last year in the freezer , had one today ?

Blondiescot Tue 11-Oct-22 15:44:30

If in doubt, dig in! Why deny yourself the pleasure? I love the icing topped ones, so if I spot them on my next shopping expedition, I may well give into temptation.

AGAA4 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:46:25

I used to always wait till December but now if I want a mince pie I will have it. The season is quite short anyway. I don't deny myself an odd treat at my age.

GrannySeaside51 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:46:39

Nell8

*Granny Seaside* I do like mince pies, especially warmed up. Sadly they don't like me and give me heartburn. I need to find a milder version. (M&S will probably offer us a Marmite flavoured mince pie, like they did for hot cross buns.)

I'd say enjoy your weak moments and don't deny yourself the pleasure in advance. There's plenty more Christmassy foods to wait for and it's not as if your tucking into a turkey dinner every day!

OMG the mere thought of Marmite mince pies ?‍♀️. I will do my best to wait until 1sr December for my first pie otherwise its like eating Easter Eggs in January ? Theres a time and place for all good things - thats what I tell myself.

GrannySeaside51 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:49:22

Prentice I have always preferred M&S but you can’t beat home made. My late Dad made scrummy ones with puff pastry.

Greenfinch Tue 11-Oct-22 16:29:17

I bought Tesco’s own last week but did not think they were very good.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 11-Oct-22 17:01:12

Aldi’s were very good last year.

I’ve not been tempted yet.

Lucca Tue 11-Oct-22 17:24:43

It’s early October ….. have you got the sprouts on ?presents wrapped ? Spontaneity binned ?

NotSpaghetti Tue 11-Oct-22 17:25:58

Mince pies are only made just before Christmas here.
And I wouldn't buy any ahead of Christmas week.

Fleurpepper Tue 11-Oct-22 17:35:33

Only for Christmas, and home-made, with mincemeat cut with apple. Commercial mince pies are so so sickly sweet, yuk!

kittylester Tue 11-Oct-22 17:49:42

I am happy to buy mince pies nowadays but I remember making dozens and dozens when the children did stuff at school so for the class party (x5), the cricket team, hockey, drama, brownies, guides, football teams both lots of grand parent's, a patient of DH's who always brought me a plant,the Plymouth Brethren couple next door - ooh and us - possibly!!

Fleurpepper Tue 11-Oct-22 17:57:54

Really have gone back to food in season and celebration. Strawberries in June, mincepies for Christmas, and so on.

Sago Tue 11-Oct-22 17:59:37

Only homemade too!
I make in November and freeze ready for December..

Happysexagenarian Tue 11-Oct-22 18:02:35

Ooh bring on the mince pies, I love 'em at any time of year. We eat hot cross buns all year round too.

Redhead56 Tue 11-Oct-22 21:44:45

I make mince pies all year as my mum did having eight children she made what would all eat. She made big tray mince pie and sliced it up. I do exactly the same I don't concern myself with when it should be made we love it any time. Home made butter pastry jazzed up jars of mincemeat and dredged with icing sugar.

swampy1961 Tue 11-Oct-22 21:51:39

We test all the mince pies - all for a good cause!! Then we know the best mince Pies to get in for Christmas!! grin

Jackiest Tue 11-Oct-22 21:55:51

Christmas mince pies have little pastry holly leaves on. If they don't have the holly leaves on then you can eat them all year round.

BigBertha1 Tue 11-Oct-22 22:16:40

None of the supermarket ones seem to have decent mincemeat in them...more like brown jam.

Blossoming Tue 11-Oct-22 22:29:22

Our local family run bakery sells the best mince pies I’ve ever had, but they don’t start selling them until December. We usually have a bakery treat on a Wednesday, when Mr. B collects the bread order. It’s gingerbread just now, that will change after Hallowe’en. If you fancy a mince pie then go for it!

Cabbie21 Tue 11-Oct-22 22:58:54

One of my pet hates! Served at every event in December!
I just feel pleased I don’t like them as they are so high in calories. Feeling pleased today as my blood sugar count has gone down below diabetes level!

cornergran Tue 11-Oct-22 23:23:28

We eat them whenever we feel like it. No matter the season. Sometimes home made sometimes bought, as a snack or a pudding, it matters not as my waistline can attest grin.