Gransnet forums

Christmas

Kitchen tidying

(15 Posts)
Mikkima Thu 15-Sep-22 14:25:16

Oh lord, can't believe what I've gound in the remote corners of my kitchen cupboards! Among which is a job lot of mincemeat which I remember buying cheap in asda. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use when it is out of date? Some of it is almost 12 months past it best before date

boheminan Thu 15-Sep-22 15:54:28

I discovered a jar of mincemeat lurking in the back of my food cupboard, it was well over 3 years old, and as I hate wasting food, I decided to 'give it a go' and made a mince pie. It was lovely, and I'm still here to tell the tale! The mincemeat was a bit dried out (but a small glass of sherry helped it over that).

Witzend Thu 15-Sep-22 16:00:03

Unopened mincemeat lasts for ages. I’ve even used opened, out -of-date jars that were fine. As boheminan said, a drop of sherry, or I’ve used a mix of a little brandy and fresh orange juice to moisten it if a mite dried up.

Mapleleaf Thu 15-Sep-22 16:03:41

Best before dates just advise when the product is at its best, after that date, it begins, over time, to deteriorate in flavour or/and texture. However, it’s still perfectly fine to use, especially after only 12 months. It’s the “use by” dates you need to pay more attention to - food can go off and cause illness if you ignore these dates by a long time (a day or two will probably be ok, depending what it is).?

Redhead56 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:13:31

Last week I unearthed two jars of mince meat not long out of date I added brandy and sherry to it. I made a rich buttery pastry and made a big tray bake dusted with icing sugar. Its full of sugar so it preserves it very well.
If it is way to out of date you could mix it with breadcrumbs and give it to the birds.

Kim19 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:19:46

Whilst feeling poorly I unearthed a tin of FB sreak & kidney pudding from my cupboard. It was delicious and hit the spot perfectly. On clearing up I inadvertently noticed the use by date. 2004. I'm still here and feeling much improved. Funny old world.........

MerylStreep Thu 15-Sep-22 16:21:08

Scrape the mould off the top and enjoy.
*Redhead, that’s sounds gorgeous ?

Allsorts Thu 15-Sep-22 16:23:11

I made a lovely fruit cake once using a jar out of date mincemeat, dread to think of the calories in it though.

Farmor15 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:25:33

Out of date mincemeat is fine - actually improves with age! Mixed with apples it makes a lovely tart any time of year smile

sodapop Thu 15-Sep-22 21:02:41

Ooh yes Farmor15 one of my favourites

Grammy666 Fri 07-Oct-22 11:06:26

Yes I think Delia Smith had a receipe for a Mincemeat Cake and it was very easy and delicious .. no weighing needed only the one jar of mincemeat ..

Yammy Fri 07-Oct-22 11:49:52

Delia Smith had a quick mincemeat cake and Mary Berry has loaves in her Christmas book. I usually make two with leftover mincemeat and sugar etc from Christmas and DH takes it when he walks.

Grandmafrench Fri 07-Oct-22 11:58:42

Mincemeat takes forever to 'go off'. It's all cooked and sealed and mixed with alcohol and mostly dried fruit. Unless it's been left uncovered or is mouldy, I've used up jars made 2 years previously (and more!).
These posts may come as a relief to Redhead56 but not to her excited garden birds. If they were looking forward to party hats, some dodgy dancing and loud, off-key twittering, they're likely to be a bit disappointed !

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Oct-22 13:49:34

As long as it isn't mouldy it should be perfectly safe to use.

If you are worried don't use it. Or take the metal lid off and bung it in the microwave to kill any germs,

If you don't have a microwave, place the jar - minus lid in a saucepan of water and boil it for five or six minutes.

Prentice Tue 11-Oct-22 15:21:34

Am pleased to hear others have jars of mincemeat left over from other Christmases grin
I will now look up using one in a cake, something that I had never thought of doing before, although the traybake, and mixing it with apples also sounds delicious.
Thank you Gransnetters.