Gransnet forums

Christmas

Alternative Advent Calendar.

(32 Posts)
Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:28:42

Last year my daughter bought me a lovely wooden advent calendar and filled the drawers with little surprises.
I wanted to use it this year but the idea of filling it with sweets bit boring as I'd be doing it myself!
Then I remembered that I have a Mason jar full of little notes about nice things have happened or things to be grateful for. The notes are folded over so contents are a surprise. If ever you need cheering up the idea is to take a note out of the jar.
I have put a note in each drawer of the calendar. It will be a lovely surprise and I think a meaningful way to lead up to the end of a difficult year.
I think I will do it every year now?

Grannybags Mon 30-Nov-20 11:31:37

That sounds like a nice idea.

I wish I had written notes of nice things that have happened this year - it's difficult to remember any at the moment but I'm sure there must have been some!

Grannynannywanny Mon 30-Nov-20 11:40:35

My grandchildren bought me a lovely M&S Advent calendar and my mouth is watering looking at the selection of chocolates in it. I came close to opening it today!

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:46:50

Grannybags I must admit I'm not sure how many are in there from the latter part of this year,on the positive side I suppose I havent dipped into much to cheer myself either?.
I cant remember where I saw the original idea but it doesnt have to be massive events but little moments of happiness and contentment. Christmas can often be a time to reflect and maybe this year more than others.
Grannynannywanny I can totally relate?

Rosieroe Mon 30-Nov-20 11:54:51

As my grandchildren get an overload of chocolate I got them a beautiful nativity advent calendar for a change. It’s made of a thick cardboard and they set up the stable and then all the figures are numbered so they have to find the appropriate one, push it out of the card and build it up day by day.

AllotmentLil Mon 30-Nov-20 22:43:08

Some lovely ideas here - I give my DGD one which tells the Christmas story which she likes. It also has chocolate which she also likes! ?

Witzend Tue 01-Dec-20 06:58:21

I’ve just opened the first little window of my just-little-pictures one. We never had them as children, so I buy myself one every year to make up for it. ??

LadyStardust Tue 01-Dec-20 07:28:30

This has just given me an idea for next year! I'm going to make little notes on my phone daily this month, regarding the current covid situation, take screenshots and they will appear in my Timehop during December every day next year and also subsequent years. It will hopefully serve to remind me that the sacrifices we are making/have made, this year were all worth it!. You could do it with paper notes too.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:42:32

I think there may be a trend to more creative calendars. I vividly remember my glitter festooned one and the excitement of opening each window! I remember the chocolate ones becoming popular when my daughters were younger.
Now of course there are some incredible ones,including eye wateringly expensive ones for adults.
My daughter doesnt like my grandsons having excessive sweets which I support. I remember when my first grandson was old enough to appreciate one(hes 5 in January) it was quite hard to track down a more traditional one! Now there are some really lovely ones either online or WH Smith did some gorgeous ones last year. I always try to find ones that involve an activity of some sort.
For some reason this morning I was thinking of the Blue Peter advent decorations involving tinsel and coat hangers. Is it me or did the early ones involve real candles??.
I think recording briefly positive events in whatever format is important,it can be so easy to focus on how awful things are.
I take lots of photos but along with a lot of other people they often remained on my phone or on a virtual cloud! When I inherited my fathers photographs I think as a family we all reconnected with the pleasure of looking at real photos.
I now use photo Apps to turn these photos into books etc,its a much easier process than used to be. Its lovely to look back on holidays and family time.
This year initially felt a bit of a challenge as family events had been very different! Fortunately we are quite good of sending photos to each other of the things we get up to! So, despite Covid there is a book this year with everything from lock down baking,gardening,socially distanced visits,video calls with funny filters and craft projects. It may have been a different year but life has gone on!

MawBe Tue 01-Dec-20 09:13:21

I had posted this on the GM thread before I realised there was one dedicated to Advent Calendars.
So here it is again - with some apologies.

NanaandGrampy Tue 01-Dec-20 09:21:12

Our little boys have a reverse advent calendar this year - each day they have a suggestion about doing something nice for someone else , friends, neighbours, family or an activity like a litter pick with their parents.

Its a nice reminder about giving rather than getting .

GinnyH Tue 01-Dec-20 09:51:26

I remember as a child (60ish years ago) I had card Advent Calendar with a nativity scene and lots of glitter! I loved it. Every year, after Christmas, the little windows were closed and it was put away to use again the following year. I was always so thrilled and surprised each time it was reopened! Not a chocolate in sight.

25Avalon Tue 01-Dec-20 10:00:02

I sent my grown up dds Jacque Lawson’s animated Cotswold Advent Calendar as I am staying home. They are lovely but I really like your idea Dorsetcupcake61. Bit late this year but a brilliant idea for next and you could personalise it with the types of quote.

Tanjamaltija Tue 01-Dec-20 10:00:50

We have a reverse calendar where, each time we go shopping, we buy something off it, and put it in a box, to be delivered later to a woman's shelter. Re the 'drawers' I saw it - and it's be a good idea to put a tiny book, a toy, a gadget, and so on, in it.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:01:07

MawB, love it?. Yes GinnyH I even remember trying to sneakily see what was in the christmas crackers?. Simpler times,and times that in many ways are having a revival . I think there will always be those that feel something has to be new and shiny. PreCovid I think many were particularly concerned about the environmental impact of our throw away society. Certainly I think one of the positive things about this year is people questioning how much they need things. Its oven overused on social media but let's hope the concept of kindness and giving rather than receiving continue.

Craftycat Tue 01-Dec-20 10:02:51

I'd rather have chocolate!!

Auntieflo Tue 01-Dec-20 10:04:14

Rosieroe, your advent calendar sounds lovely.
Can you tell us if we can still buy them, for next year, and where from?

Thanks.

winifred01 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:11:05

We do a reverse Advent Calendar too, as last year. Put something every day into a box for the local food bank, tend to deliver weekly as it can get a bit heavy. Like to add some seasonal offerings.

hicaz46 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:26:07

I am doing a reverse calendar, which means that instead of taking something for myself every day, I am putting a gift into a box to donate to a homeless charity. These gifts will be tinned or packet food, toiletries, gloves and gifts. ( not being entirely altruistic as I have a Pringles calendar too)

Rosieroe Tue 01-Dec-20 10:41:11

Auntieflo

*Rosieroe*, your advent calendar sounds lovely.
Can you tell us if we can still buy them, for next year, and where from?

Thanks.

Auntieflo this is it. I found it on Amazon.

Rosieroe Tue 01-Dec-20 10:51:07

Oops. Trying again

schnackie Tue 01-Dec-20 10:56:15

I don't really do Christmas, but I received a sweet advent calendar from the Postcode Lottery and each door you open tells about a charity that they are supporting. Gives me a smile each day.

Aepgirl Tue 01-Dec-20 11:17:37

My daughter has bought me a lovely Advent Christmas tree. It is about 12” inches high, made of good quality, decorated card, and comes with coloured card ‘baubles’ which can be hung on each day. So nice, as after Christmas it can be disassembled and used again.

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:32:27

I've 'settled' for the gift of a scrumptious chocolate every day. Bliss. However, one of my regular wee practices is to reflect on the best and worst happenings of my day when my head reaches the pillow. Often the worst turns out not to be so bad and the good is clung to until sleep takes over.

knspol Tue 01-Dec-20 12:09:39

Dorsetcupcake61, really love your idea of notes to remind you of good things that have happened in the year and then to open one every day in Dec. Will start that very same thing myself in January, a great way to make us all thankful.