Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee table books...

(16 Posts)
CanadianGran Wed 07-Dec-22 19:33:06

Do you have any large-format books that are always 'out' for browsing? We call them coffee-table books, I'm not sure if you use the term there.

I have a stack, from large to smaller... a large, heavy gardening reference book (I believe Reader's digest), a large format reference book for animals of British Columbia (my grandchildren love that one), and a smaller bird-reference book. We have a lower shelf on our coffee table, and these books have a permanent home there.

I used to own this one - I was a huge James Herriot fan, but sadly it was down-sized out of my collection.

What's in your collection, or do you keep all books on a bookshelf?

Urmstongran Wed 07-Dec-22 19:37:59

I don’t but a good friend did. “Sister Wendy” is one I recall. On a trunk in her main room. It was heavy and full of glossy photos of famous art paintings plus a guide as to what to notice and explanations of what each painting was illustrating. I loved browsing through it while she was getting ready.

Sago Wed 07-Dec-22 19:44:44

We have coffee table books at home and in our holiday let.
Some I have bought in charity shops for a couple of pounds they have originally been £30 +.

Blossoming Wed 07-Dec-22 19:49:08

Currently I have a large volume of Cézzane’s works, a book about the architecture of Aberdeen and a history of the battles of the Somme. They just reflect whatever I’m interested in at the moment.

Yammy Wed 07-Dec-22 20:08:51

I confess I have just bought yet another coffee table book. Christmas by Donna Hay. It looks lovely the illustrations are so festive, and the recipes inviting. I briefly pick it up and know it will be back to Mary Berry or Delia for Christmas recipes.
I am lucky as I will pass it on to DD who will be delighted she reads recipe books for pleasure at night to get to sleep.
DH gets quite a few in his stocking and they are neatly filed in a bookcase never to be opened again. He has all his old textbooks, they come in handy for putting the bed head on when my hernia plays up.

CanadianGran Wed 07-Dec-22 21:08:33

Urmstongran - I love a good art history book, and I loved the TV series by Sister Wendy (I had forgotten her name). She managed to simplify themes and symbolism to bring paintings to a deeper understanding.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Dec-22 21:12:55

I do have a few of them but they live on the bookshelves.

Oldbat1 Wed 07-Dec-22 21:35:59

Yes our house is full of many such books. Inherited mostly.

Kim19 Wed 07-Dec-22 21:39:43

I've some in the guest room. People tend to take them and leave others.

JackyB Thu 08-Dec-22 08:16:25

I am trying to get rid of books but DH keeps buying them. At present we have a huge heavy book on out coffee table with all the exhibits from an exhibition we saw recently about the fall of the Roman Empire. I never have time to look at it though. Would love to go into more of the exhibits and read some of the articles about the history of the time.

yggdrasil Thu 08-Dec-22 08:18:49

I have 2 Discworld books that are too big to fit on any of my numerous bookcases, so by default sit on the coffee table.

MawtheMerrier Thu 08-Dec-22 08:29:12

“A bookshelf” @ CanadianGran ? I should be so lucky!
Floor to ceiling book shelving on 8 walls in the house at present .

Witzend Thu 08-Dec-22 09:04:26

We don’t have a coffee table, just side tables, so any such books are on shelves. Several of those are double stacked and in need of a bit of ‘weeding’.

Yammy Thu 08-Dec-22 09:15:55

MawtheMerrier

“A bookshelf” @ CanadianGran ? I should be so lucky!
Floor to ceiling book shelving on 8 walls in the house at present .

We have a bedroom/study and a small sitting room exactly the same. I noticed when I went to the post yesterday the village telephone box has been turned into a bring-and-borrow Library, I will be donating when a certain someone is up a fell.
Does anyone fancy "How to survive when falling into a River in Chest waders?"
As I said in another post the 50-year-old textbooks come in handy for putting under the bed to steepen the headboard end.

CanadianGran Thu 08-Dec-22 17:43:11

Maw, I actually got rid of a bookshelf years ago, and haven't had one since. I found that I tend to read novels only once and pass them along, and have just a few cookbooks and reference books, a few of which are on said coffee table.

I am guilty of having a stack of books at the bottom of my closet that I haven't passed along yet. I've been a library patron all my life, so tend not to feel the need to keep them if I do own them.

kircubbin2000 Thu 08-Dec-22 21:15:10

That reminds me that I have a great collection of art ,bird and cook books. I don't have a coffee table and my room is very cluttered so they are all stored away in the study. I must tidy up and display them again for they are mainly untouched sadly.