Gransnet forums

Chat

Opening the Festive Calendar backwards

(10 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 07-Dec-22 10:52:36

Very lighthearted thread...apparently an Aussie mom says she always open the calendar backwards so you start from 24 and go down to one as being Xmas Day... as in countdown to rocket taking off....mad isn't itgrin

henetha Wed 07-Dec-22 11:08:35

How very strange, but fun! After many years of buying Advent Calendars for grandchildren, I decided to buy one for myself this year. Silly I know, but I don't care... I look forward to my little piece of chocolate every day, whether it's 1-24 or 24-1.
grin

Bea65 Wed 07-Dec-22 11:28:43

henetha grin chocolate is chocolate love it too much! Just wondered if this was an Aussie thing..where is Aussie Gran on here maybe she can confirm this or not?

Spice101 Wed 07-Dec-22 11:34:02

Not an Aussie thing but it does make sense to me if you take the countdown as number of days until Christmas which is what most children want to do rather than go by the date which has less meaning to children.

Aveline Wed 07-Dec-22 12:08:10

I always buy an Advent calendar each year. None of your frivolous chocolate nonsense though. A beautiful picture each day for me.
(Plenty of chocolate in the cupboard though!)

GrannySomerset Wed 07-Dec-22 12:18:43

Just received (thank you for the delay, Royal Mail) a beautiful Advent calendar from DD. No chocolate but the small pleasure of opening a little window every day. Teenage GC pleased to receive theirs, too. You are never too old for an Advent Calendar.

Oreo Wed 07-Dec-22 12:48:06

Never heard of anyone opening backwards, but why not it’s your own calendar.
Does anyone remember in Father Ted when the young priest opens the last window of the calendar to look at the picture, he says ‘Ted! Look at this, it’s a load of people in a stable, I’d never have thought of that!’😆

Aveline Wed 07-Dec-22 13:00:40

Father Dougal!
What a great programme 'Father Ted' was.

Bea65 Mon 12-Dec-22 10:59:14

Yes loved Father Ted and the tea lady - can't think of her name but saw her in another good TV programme recently and can't remember that name either...losing my memory cells..grin

Aveline Mon 12-Dec-22 12:59:15

Mrs Doyle. 'Ah you will you will you will you will father!'