Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC World Service

(6 Posts)
Lollin Sat 03-Dec-22 11:31:47

Thought I’d share, as there is a really interesting mixture on their website. This section is “people fixing the world” but you do have to be able to listen (some are about 30 minutes in length).
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cc6w4f

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 00:48:40

World Service radio is interesting too quite often.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Dec-22 22:18:13

The World Service saved me more than once back in the day, when I was on call to sort out ailing computer systems and sometimes had to work through the night to get something critical going again. It kept my sanity intact.

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 23:21:20

We love the good old World Service - an essential during many years abroad, and we still listen a lot now. During Christmases abroad - all pre internet - my absolute must was Carols from Kings on the World Service - it just wasn’t Christmas without it.

They used to broadcast cracking serials, too - I particularly remember The Woman In White aeons ago, when we lived in Cyprus. I absolutely could not miss the next episode!

yggdrasil Tue 06-Dec-22 08:13:18

I have World Service on the radio all through the night. I wake quite a bit, and listen , then go back to sleep. I hate it being totally quiet in the night, that is more likely to wake me

Mogsmaw Tue 06-Dec-22 08:26:25

yggdrasil

I have World Service on the radio all through the night. I wake quite a bit, and listen , then go back to sleep. I hate it being totally quiet in the night, that is more likely to wake me

Me too, although I now lister to 4extra at night. After many years DH got me a headphone/headband thing. I hate wearing it but it’s better than silence and disturbing him.