Gransnet forums

Chat

Is revenge sweet?

(169 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 10-Feb-20 10:10:26

Have you ever taken revenge on someone? Do you know someone who had? Did it make you/them feel better?

My sister was comfortable in her life when she met her husband. She had a nice house with a mortgage that she could afford and a good job. During their time together they bought a much bigger house with a much bigger mortgage (he worked in banking) and she left work when they had a baby. She hadn't been sure about leaving work but he earned a lot of money and they could afford for her to be a stay at home mam. Sadly, what she didn't know was that he had a mistress. He wanted to have his cake and eat it. At first she was in a panic but then decided that enough was enough. OK so she had baby and a mortgage that she couldn't afford but houses could be sold and tbh she didn't like living in such a huge place. He made her life a total misery. How dare she kick him out etc. etc.? He withheld maintenance payments and generally messed about as much as he could. She struggled but he was still buying expensive clothes and accessories. He demanded his clothes etc. back but kept changing when he was going to collect them. So she carefully folded each item including Armani suits and packed them into black bin liners. Then in the middle of bag she put a pair of wet socks and stored them in the garage. Six months later he finally came for his stuff. The bags must have been so mouldy by then. Was revenge sweet for her? Well she admitted to feeling a sense of satisfaction because if he'd come when he first insisted that she pack his stuff ready for him it would have been OK but he'd kept making arrangements so that she would stay in then cancelling at the last minute. The socks were dry by the time he came so he assumed it was because the bags were in the garage.

Elegran Mon 10-Feb-20 10:35:02

Someone was in the news a few years ago whose (well-off) husband cheated on her in much the same way. she took all the bottles of expensive wine out of his wine cellar and left one on the doorstep of each of the neighbours. It was an expensive collection, amassed over years to "mature" so it probably stretched into nearby streets.

Another cut off the legs of all her ex's Armani suits.

Yes, revenge is sweet.

vampirequeen Mon 10-Feb-20 10:48:39

I love those stories. I read recently about a lady who had discovered that her boyfriend wasn't working overtime....well at least not at work....so she sewed up all the button holes in his favourite shirts and then left. I bet his face was a picture when he went to get dressed up lol

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 11:00:26

I once reported someone for benefit fraud.
I was sick of seeing this person driving an expensive car, having numerous holidays and flashing £1000 handbags around.
She openly admitted she knew every angle re benefits and offered to help her friends and neighbours claim.
It turned out the fraud was huge! She had a house she claimed she lived in but it was in fact owned by her and let to relatives. Her post went to the modest address whilst she lived in much grander style with a partner.
She was claiming as a single mum.
She was investigated and found guilty.
I was thrilled.
Her lifestyle changed overnight!

Smileless2012 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:05:56

I once read about a wife who before leaving the marital home her ex was going to be living in with his new GF, sewed prawns into the hems of the curtains.

I remember that incident with the expensive wines Elegran, it did make me smile.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Feb-20 11:07:19

I do like the one about stuffing the round metal curtain poles with fish and leaving the house after being chucked out by the husband - over the next months the house is getting smellier and smellier but they can't work out why - in the end husband can't stand the smell and tries to sell but of course it won't because of said smell. Eventually ex wife says she will buy it off him very cheap, moves in and changes the curtain poles, job done!

Smileless2012 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:10:21

Fabulous MadeInYorkhiregrin. I wonder if she managed to resist the temptation at some point to tell him.

Yennifer Mon 10-Feb-20 11:16:34

When I was younger I once used cheating ex toothbrush to clean the loo. I'd never take revenge now tho, I think it's best to just live your best life. Especially when children are involved x

Opal Mon 10-Feb-20 12:23:54

That's brilliant MadeInYorkshire,!!

paddyanne Mon 10-Feb-20 14:03:37

I dont understand a need for revenge ,its taking yourself to a level thats probably as bad as the behaviour you're angry at.
Be calm and dignified and get on with life in the best way possible,surely thats the right way...let the ex or whoever see you're doing just great without them .Isn't that how adults behave?

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 14:49:39

I suppose I am fortunate not to have encountered anything that makes me want to carry out revengeful acts such as depicted on this thread. I don’t think I could though, even if things had been really awful.

Greenfinch Mon 10-Feb-20 14:56:17

After a small argument with her DH my DD put marmite ( which he hates ) in his sandwiches. He was not happy when he went to eat his packed lunch but we all laugh about it now.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Mon 10-Feb-20 15:02:26

When I was young I had an boyfriend who was quite a drinker. Once when he did something I didn't like (I cannot even remember what it was! smile) I threw away ONE of pair of awful, ugly boots he used to wear that I hated! He thought he had lost one while drinking!

BlueSky Mon 10-Feb-20 15:19:38

Agree with Calendargirl here. I think contempt is the best action. I've blatantly ignored people who had been nasty to me in the past and thought they could just talk to me as if nothing had happened.

GagaJo Mon 10-Feb-20 15:27:50

I can't be bothered with revenge. Best to just ride it out and move on, in my opinion.

I had an ex that was vengeful. Took revenge after I ended our relationship by taking me to court to try to force me to repay a debt in a lump sum (for a holiday we went on together, that I didn't really want and was coerced into). I was already repaying in monthly installments. The court REDUCED the monthly payment. I remember finding it hilarious at how it backfired.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 15:48:04

No I don’t feel revengful at all I ve had nasty incidents happen to me but I ve never felt the need to resort to that it just wouldn’t help me That sounds really pious and I m not but it just would t be on my radar
I think your post is not really revenge missA but about justice and I think that’s a very different thing

AGAA4 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:03:32

A neighbour's husband left her when her new baby was a few months old to move in with a 17 year old from work. He was in his 30's. She was devastated and a male friend, she had known for ages started to help out and they became close. 17 year old got fed up with the old guy and she left him after 6 months. He returned full of remorse to his wife and was shocked to find she had found someone better. No revenge on her part just the way it turned out

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:14:42

I can understand wanting revenge but surely it takes you down to their level?
I'd rather be the better person and 'live my life well' as they will get their come-uppance in the end.
However, I was bullied terribly by a very nasty PE teacher and I enjoy my fantasy of pushing her into the large wicker hamper where we kept the equipment and fastening the buckle, then leaving her there all summer. I'd never actually do that though, it remains a fantasy. Does that make me wicked?

M0nica Mon 10-Feb-20 17:11:08

I have never been in a situation where revenge was an option, but I think I would act with utmost casualness and move on so whoever was the object, was left knowing that I was totally untouched by their exit.

Revenge may be satisfying but the person at the receiving end can then boast about how angry/upset/dependent on them their partner was that they acted they way they did when they (the recipient) left.

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Feb-20 17:29:54

A lot of these stories are classic examples of the old saying:-
Revenge is a dish best served cold!

I particularly loved the fish in the curtain pole story especially as it led to the wronged woman being the winner by eventually buying the house at a knocked down price!

Grandad1943 Mon 10-Feb-20 17:44:15

Yes, and another thread where it is only men who ever cheat in any personal relationship.

Of course we are all aware that so many of the women on this forum are perfect in every aspect of their lives, especially in their dealings with their partners.

Same old singers with the same old songs.

Elegran Mon 10-Feb-20 17:54:48

Well, grandad, the posters on here are mostly women, so they are bound to post things from a female point of view. I am sure that if we had more men we would get more stories of how men got their revenge on cheating partners. Have you any stories to add?

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 17:54:50

Not me but a co-worker left a fish behind a radiator after a horrible experience with a landlord.

It DID make her feel better

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:00:34

I enjoy schadenfreude which is probably a similar feeling to revenge.

An old wealthy neighbour had a thing for barely legal boys from poor backgrounds

Nothing you could report as they were just about over age, and not mentally vulnerable but all poor and he dangled money under their familys noses.

The last family he did this to ripped him off! Prettu much cleaned him out. Legally. He lost his house and the power he had over poor families and boys.

I wasnt the only one who loved that it happened!

Grandad1943 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:03:04

Elgran, in regard to your above post, I can honestly state that I have never cheated on my wife and would never dream of doing so.

I do very much agree with you though on the need for more diversity in this forum as threads such as this go far in proving that point.