Gransnet forums

Charities

Snubbed again

(21 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Thu 24-Nov-22 16:48:34

What is it with people this year?
I have offered several charities things that I thought would be helpful, ranging from plants for a Christmas fayre (some very rare and beautiful) and handmade items to be sold for charity too.
I have offered my help at various things and to be honest, it's the same old cookie for me. I don't understand it and it doesn't make sense.
I'm also waiting for someone else to get back to me on another thing I offered to do...

AND on top of that the delivery person left a local person's parcel here by mistake a week ago and they haven't even bothered to pick it up .

Im starting to think it's me. Maybe its the time of year or just a combination of things but I'm starting to wonder what is the point of offering to give people things/ volunteer. 99% of everything I've offered to do/make has been ignored and I'm feeling hurt by it.

On the upside I managed to successfully donate a pile of fabric to a community group today.

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 17:16:15

The local person may not realise you have their package. Sometimes the delivery person doesn’t put a card through their door. Could you take it round to them, or is that not possible?

LovelyCuppa Thu 24-Nov-22 19:12:44

Don’t give up hope, I’m sure someone will gladly take up your offer at some point. We have volunteers at my work, and while we really appreciate them, it’s a lot of work for us and some people’s wishes don’t align with our needs so it’s not always as straight forward as it seems. People are Really busy too so can’t always get back to you as quickly as you might like.

Harris27 Thu 24-Nov-22 19:18:25

They could be away. And I’ve got neighbours who take a parcel in for me and don’t deliver it but I’m notified by text so I always lick them up and thank them.

notgoneyet Thu 24-Nov-22 20:06:53

Haha Harris27 I have to say the thought of you licking the neighbours for taking in your parcel did make me chuckle {grin}

OnwardandUpward Mon 28-Nov-22 08:19:15

Licking :D

I sent the neighbour a message through Facebook and she is never at home any time I pass her house. I would have thought she would have come by now, but really its her responsibility to chase it. I may give it back to the delivery person next time they call, so they can keep trying.

As far as things go its almost three weeks since I worked a trial in a new job and they have not let me know whether I got it yet (which is the real reason I was feeling upset)

The other slights probably just seemed worse because of that.

M0nica Mon 28-Nov-22 08:37:30

Sadly, these days, when you are interviewed or trialled for a new job, you do not get a rejection letter, the company just do not contact you again, no news, in this case is probably bad news. You could always ring or email them and ask what the outcome is.

Nannagarra Mon 28-Nov-22 08:41:25

Three weeks? Do you have another job on the horizon?
This time of the year can be quite pressurised I find. 🤞that today is a better day for you OaU.

OnwardandUpward Mon 28-Nov-22 08:43:08

Yes. I didn't really want to do that because first they lost my form and I didn't hear anything for weeks, then I checked and they'd lost it so asked me to apply again.... then I waited weeks to hear and they asked me to do a trial day.

I don't think they are very oganised. Some of their IT equipment is broken and it seems like the manager is very vague. I suppose I need to stop making excuses for them and find out. But it feels horrible to keep chasing.

M0nica Mon 28-Nov-22 08:47:36

OnwardandUpward It shows enthusiasm and a keenness to do the job, All positive points in a new employee.

OnwardandUpward Mon 28-Nov-22 08:50:54

Thanks Monica, I suppose so but it also feels to me like I am chasing them and I'm very uncomfortable with that.

@Nannagarra I am self employed doing other work so I am just looking to this job as a little top me up job. It's part time.

lemsip Mon 28-Nov-22 09:32:10

you have to bear in mind it is not only you applying . you are one of very many these days and they can take the pick.

Oldwoman70 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:38:52

I do wonder about some charities. In the middle of a particularly bad winter I contacted several local homeless charities offering warm good quality clothing and some blankets. Several didn't bother replying and those that did said their store rooms were full and couldn't take any more donations.

Why were the clothes in store rather than handed to those trying to keep warm on the streets?

I eventually went into the city centre and handed out the clothes and blankets myself!

Boz Mon 28-Nov-22 10:50:34

Often what you cherish does not fit the modern age.
People don't want wool blankets; they want fleece because you can wash it.
Craft items are also unwanted - not quite sure why in this case - probably too personal to the crafter.
It is no good offering a designer cashmere/alpaca "statement" woolie because such things are high maintenance and not everyone wants the trouble of washing them!

biglouis Mon 28-Nov-22 10:56:04

What really annoys me about parcels is when the delivery person just plonks them by my gate/door and leaves them and they turn out to be for someone else.

I have mobility issues and am not able to go trekking around the area delivering parcels. Nor do I exchange phone numbers with neighbours.

Last year over the holiday period I had no fewer than 4 mis- delivered parcels left. Two were Royal Mail so I gave them to the regular postie. However two were Hermes (or whatecver they call themselves now) and I had to get my nephew to deliver them. One person was not at home so he just left it on the step as the delivery person had done with me.

Nephew suggested if it happens again (and a courier firm as opposed to Royal Mail) just leave it on the step of the nearest house I can walk to and then it becomes someone elses problem.

If it gets stolen not my circus, not my monkeys.

V3ra Mon 28-Nov-22 10:58:48

OnwardandUpward you wouldn't be chasing them, you would be being proactive.
It sounds like they need someone like that!

OnwardandUpward Mon 28-Nov-22 18:02:58

V3ra

OnwardandUpward you wouldn't be chasing them, you would be being proactive.
It sounds like they need someone like that!

V3ra, I think their lack of enthusiasm has made me feel quite rubbish. I was probably expecting them to be saying YES we want you, come at this time on this day.... or NO we have decided to employ somebody else. Either would be ok but it's the not knowing and my confidence is hit.

biglouis Sat 08-Apr-23 09:32:07

My nephew lives in a large block of flats and people regularly leave items they want rid of in the foyer by the door. They are gone the next day as someone will find a use for them.

I have got rid of a number of small ornaments and bits and pieces this way. During the first lockdown people even left tinned food there and it was quickly snapped up. Similarly he got a nice runner for the hall and some bits and pieces for the kitchen and tool box.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Apr-23 09:49:30

If I have anything too big or not needed at the charity shop I put it outside my back gate and it’s gone within minutes

Most charity shops can’t take everything They may seem picky but sometimes they just aren’t allowed to sell everything for instance duvets/ sleeping bags unless new (hygiene) kids cycle helmets or other safety gear again unless new we don’t know the history or if it can do more harm than good… rubber rings, floats, arm bands they may have a fault and lose a life Big items of furniture no storage space it’s not being picky it’s practical
My granddaughter got a nice chair for her bedroom from outside a house with a ‘please take me’ notice
Unfortunately if you haven’t heard from the interview you may have not been picked I don’t think any send out rejection letters now
I can’t understand the plants though they usually go like hot cakes

pascal30 Sat 08-Apr-23 11:06:33

Oldwoman70

I do wonder about some charities. In the middle of a particularly bad winter I contacted several local homeless charities offering warm good quality clothing and some blankets. Several didn't bother replying and those that did said their store rooms were full and couldn't take any more donations.

Why were the clothes in store rather than handed to those trying to keep warm on the streets?

I eventually went into the city centre and handed out the clothes and blankets myself!

Good for you, wonderful initiative and I bet they were gratefully received...

Caramme Sat 08-Apr-23 11:21:08

I had an email from Mencap just this week saying they were low on stock and asking for donations.