Gransnet forums

Charities

Chuggers

(38 Posts)
Ellie Anne Tue 12-Apr-22 16:23:16

Today I was approached by a young lady campaigning for a deaf childrens charity. She was very nice but obviously going through a script and very hard to interrupt without being rude. She only stopped when she got out the iPad to get information and I managed her to tell her I would not be signing up for anything and told her which charities we support on a regular basis. I know it’s a difficult job and she was only trying to earn a living but I find it a bit threatening and usually manage to avoid them.

Jaylou Tue 12-Apr-22 16:28:43

I think the trick is to stop them before they launch into their script, then it becomes difficult if like me you are polite and looking for a polite exit. I always say (truthfully) I have covenants for other charities and have no spare income. I am not sure I find them threatening, because they are representing charities, just a bit annoying.

Daisymae Tue 12-Apr-22 17:21:59

I refuse to be accosted in the street. I just say no thanks and keep walking. A few years ago it was almost impossible to walk in the high street without being stopped every few yards. I think that it's poor practice.

nexus63 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:29:17

i have two direct debits that go to charity, but living on a busy west end road i am always being stopped, i now just say i am so sorry but i am bankrupt and can't sign up for anything.

crazyH Tue 12-Apr-22 17:34:26

nexus - aren’t you lucky to be living in the West End ! Your house is probably worth a fortune !

eazybee Tue 12-Apr-22 17:48:48

They knock on doors here; I simply ask if they are chuggers, they affect ignorance, and I say thank you and goodbye.

Blondiescot Tue 12-Apr-22 17:51:14

I just say no and keep on walking. I have a few small local charities I support, so I refuse to be bullied into supporting these ones.

Millie22 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:35:01

I just smile and walk on. The only charities I support are childrens ones as it's impossible to give to everyone. It must be quite soul destroying trying to stop people all the time.

Esspee Tue 12-Apr-22 18:43:31

This form of solicitation should be banned in my opinion.

Hetty58 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:53:17

Ellie Anne, I always interrupt them, early on, saying I don't want them wasting their time. I support several charities already - and I'm out of work at the moment (well, I am - being retired).

Pittcity Tue 12-Apr-22 21:16:37

They are not working directly for charities. The same faces stop me every week in our town asking for a different cause each week. They work for an agency and are paid commission.
Our town only allows them to work on certain days.

I have been asked if I like children, animals etc. I always say that I don't.

Grantanow Tue 12-Apr-22 22:38:48

I used to get approached in central London a lot, especially on Kingsway, when I was working as a strategic fundraiser for a national body. I used to say 'I'm a fundraiser and I'm immune' - they always gave up at that point.

jennek Tue 12-Apr-22 22:47:15

Oxford Street is another place where they stop you. Apparently a lot of them are ex drama college students who can't find work. They can be persistent.

annodomini Tue 12-Apr-22 23:32:48

My sister and I once got 'chugged' in Paris. To a chorus of French curses, we were able to say a very firm 'Non'!

Kalu Wed 13-Apr-22 00:05:19

I don’t appreciate being accosted in the street by charities. I simply shake my head and keep walking.

Ellie Anne Fri 15-Jul-22 18:13:06

So I m back moaning again. Yesterday they were in tesco entrance. Impossible to avoid. Jumping in front of you very enthusiastically! This time it was for Alzheimer’s. Good cause but I hate this way of raising money. If they had a can or a bucket I’d be happy to contribute but they don’t want that. I don’t think supermarkets should allow it.

Elizabeth27 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:22:43

As many people do not carry cash charities are going more for the direct debit way of donating.I had a door knocker yesterday asking me to sign up, I declined but offered some cash, she said they were not allowed to accept cash so they ended up with nothing from me.

Lexisgranny Fri 15-Jul-22 18:23:01

I too, hate being canvassed in the street, but must admit to (after the initial relief that I can get on my way without interruption) a secondary reaction of “OK, so why don’t you want my opinion/why do you think I couldn’t afford double glazing/ do I look too miserly to donate to charity.” My reactions are, to say the least perverse.

foxie48 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:29:07

I support several children's charities and a couple for the homeless, I know at least two were as a result of "chuggers" and tbh I don't regret signing up. Charities do what brings in income, if it doesn't bring in income they don't do it. I know one of my regular donations has been going for nearly 15 years, it's updated to reflect inflation and it's for a well known children's charity. I have no problem in saying no and I don't find chuggers intimidating, they are just doing what they are paid to do.

SpringyChicken Fri 15-Jul-22 21:51:13

I'd never give my bank details to a stranger who stops me in the street.

Witzend Sat 16-Jul-22 12:58:39

I donate online if I want to. Chuggers just get a polite ‘No thanks’.
The first time I ever encountered one, ages ago now, was in central London. I agreed to sign up for a small monthly sum, but declined to give my age (irrelevant) or my phone number, since I didn't want them or anyone similar phoning me.

Several days later there was a letter saying that they were ‘unable’ to process my ‘application’ without this information!!
How’s that for barefaced cheek?

Letter went in the bin, and needless to say £x started going out of my account every month anyway.

biglouis Sat 08-Oct-22 15:04:06

As soon as I see them approaching me from a dstance I hold out my hand in a "barring" gesture and shake my head. This usually does the trick.

On one occasion in London's Oxford Street one took great offence and began to follow me shouting insults. I saw two police standing nearby and made a complaint to them about "aggressive begging". I dont know how it turned out but they immediately accosted the "chugger" and began questioning him. I dont believe he was genuinely collecting for a charity at all.

Joy241 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:12:34

I sometimes tell them that I have DDs to several charities and any more could result in me having to ask for charity for myself.

Charleygirl5 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:17:00

I was caught out a few days ago at my local shopping centre. I was approached so I told the woman I did not carry cash (untrue) so she produced a card reader! I just walked on but unfortunately, she and her colleague appear to be there daily.

I also hate it when they are actually inside my local supermarket. It is difficult to avoid them going in or out. I can hardly say I am down to my last £ as it is Waitrose, my local!

Nell8 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:33:41

I've been caught out by charity collectors who keep most of the takings for themselves. Two men dressed as superheroes were collecting "for children" in a local shopping mall. I asked a security guard if they were bona fide. He said the two men were running a business and would have applied for a licence to be there. Sadly it's not always like the situation where genuine volunteers give up their time for free.