Gransnet forums

Charities

Unwanted meds for Charity?

(20 Posts)
Leah50 Sat 27-Nov-21 08:52:32

I was unable to cancel delivery of a large of prescribed meds for my husband who died peacefully at home last week. There's everything from heart & diabetes tabs to catheter supplies. Is their really no way to recycle these expensive items? All are sealed & have long (or no) use by dates.
Thanks.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Nov-21 08:59:09

So very sorry to hear that you have lost your husband but a blessing it was a peaceful death
I don’t think there is a way Leah maybe others will be more knowledgable

ShazzaKanazza Sat 27-Nov-21 09:06:30

That’s such sad news to hear. So sorry for your loss. My stepfather died at the end of August and my mum took alot of his meds to the pharmacy. There was still a lot they wouldn’t take back mind and told her to throw it in the bin. If you have a pharmacy close to you it’s worth seeing if they’ll take them.

Katie59 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:32:28

I took dads unused back to the pharmacy who expressed sympathy and wisked them away.

Certainly not to a charity shop.

CafeAuLait Sat 27-Nov-21 10:06:45

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. You can return medications to the pharmacy but they will not be able to give them to someone else.

silverlining48 Sat 27-Nov-21 14:53:56

I am very sorry about the loss of your husband Leah.
We were in a similar situation, it was a shocking waste but I persisted and successfully re homed the items at the local
Hospice

Blossoming Sat 27-Nov-21 15:03:00

So sorry for your loss Leah

Unfortunately medicines safety regulations mean that any unused drugs must be returned and destroyed. There is no way to guarantee a secure supply chain once they’ve been dispensed.

choughdancer Sat 27-Nov-21 15:17:04

There used to be ways of doing this but I think they are banned now; there are several charities still accepting medical items (e.g. equipment bandages etc.) in the UK, but not drugs/medication. One possible unofficial way could be to offer them online to people in the US who have difficulty affording medication. I have Facebook friends in the US who I would go to, to ask if they knew people in need, if I were in your situation.

choughdancer Sat 27-Nov-21 15:20:40

I too am sorry to hear of your husband's death, and I think it is so kind of you to try to help others at this time flowers

Jane43 Sat 27-Nov-21 15:21:29

Sorry for your loss Leah50. Hopefully your pharmacy or GP practice will be able to help you dispose of the items.

Grannynannywanny Sat 27-Nov-21 17:07:53

So sorry to hear you’ve lost your husband Leah50 ?

The pharmacy will accept the drugs and safely dispose of them. Sadly, they will not reuse any medication that has been in the possession of another patient, even if it’s unopened.

It might be worthwhile contacting the district nurses about the catheter supplies. They possibly will accept them for their stock.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Nov-21 17:37:52

choudancer I really don’t think that’s a possibility they would just not get through customs to another country can you imaging sending drugs to USA or anywhere else
Once a drug has left the pharmacy they cannot give it to someone else as they have no knowledge as to what conditions it’s been kept in so even when pharmacies take them back it is just to safely destroy them

Leah50 Sat 27-Nov-21 18:47:08

Thank you all for your help & suggestions, I'll keep trying!

LauraNorderr Sat 27-Nov-21 19:01:55

I’m so sorry for your loss Leah50.
Very sad for you, I hope you have friends and family around you for support.
I think previous posters are right. Just take everything to your nearest pharmacy and let them deal with it.

welbeck Sat 27-Nov-21 21:35:21

choughdancer, i don't think that would work.
there are v strict laws about supplying drugs.
unfortunatley anything already dispensed, or sold, has to be destroyed.

sorry for your loss, Leah50.

Calistemon Sat 27-Nov-21 22:28:56

Condolences for your loss Leah

When I was prescribed the wrong tablets some years ago a nurse at the hospital said they had a scheme whereby these unwanted medicines were sent to Third World countries.
I don't know if this still happens but you could enquire.

choughdancer Sun 28-Nov-21 11:09:28

I think you are probably right, Welbeck and BlueBelle. It is such a terrible waste.

miranda1 Sun 19-Dec-21 06:46:06

Hi Leah,
I am very sorry to hear about your husband. Please accept my condolences. I have inboxed you regarding how these medical supplies may be donated.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Dec-21 06:53:22

miranda if there is a bone fide way to use medication why send it in a pm why not tell us all about it
Leah won’t be the only person with unwanted meds

Gagagran Sun 19-Dec-21 07:04:41

So sorry to hear of your loss Leah. My condolences to you and yours.

You can send catheter supplies to this charity:

Jacobs Well Appeal
Yard
Swinemoor Lane
Beverley
HU17 0JX

Tel: 01482 881162
[email protected]

They were very pleased to receive a big box of my DH's surplus catheters and ancillaries. You could ring or email them and ask what they can use. They send them to countries with little or no supply system One case quoted was a poor man with a tin can strapped to him to catch the urine.

Hope that helps.

All the best as you get through these hard days.