Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Finding care from Social Services

(10 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Wed 28-Sep-22 10:25:36

I have been struggling for some time to clean and look after myself properly. I have tried to manage but illness and, now, sciatica have made life very difficult.

Does anyone know please how to ask for help? I know it is not free but I desperately need someone to come in.

Blossoming Wed 28-Sep-22 10:32:54

I would contact your local Age UK, they will be able to tell you what’s available in your area.

kittylester Wed 28-Sep-22 10:52:13

Or look on your council website for Adult Social Care,.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 11:01:35

It's a bit of work to get the initial contact but well worth it as you will then know who to contact if things change. I do hope you get some help as we all want to be as independent as possible, and a bit of help can enable that.

I would agree with either (or both) of the previous suggestions.

pandapatch Wed 28-Sep-22 11:36:41

Age UK have a booklet
www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/information-guides/ageukig23_getting_help_at_home_inf.pdf
Suggets contacing your local council is the first step

PollyDolly Wed 28-Sep-22 11:43:27

Sounds as though you would be eligible for Attendance Allowance

Cabbie21 Thu 29-Sep-22 12:54:53

My local Community Service Volunteers offer a service to help with shopping, cleaning etc at £15 an hour. There may be something similar near you.

Caleo Thu 29-Sep-22 14:31:29

Lilyof the Valley, some people are referred to social services by doctors or nurses, and others refer themselves. Go online and type in your city or county and find the phone number of your local social services. They will make up a 'care package' to suit your needs and finances.

Yammy Thu 29-Sep-22 14:39:42

I agree with the first two posters and you might be eligible for Social care help.
The last time I filled in forms for someone, one of the questions was can you wash and keep yourself clean, the other was can you change your sheets and wash them yourself. You would be able to answer no to these questions because of your health problems.

brandonward Sat 18-Mar-23 06:41:27

Finding care from Social Services was a great experience. They were very helpful in providing information and support throughout the process. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly and made sure all our needs were met. We were able to get the care we needed in a timely manner and were very pleased with the outcome. Highly recommend!