Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Gift suggestions for a 98 year old lady

(13 Posts)
GrannySeaside51 Wed 07-Sep-22 16:20:27

An elderly neighbour of mine, who will be 98 next month, is going into a care home next week. She had a very nasty fall recently and has decided living on her own is now beyond her. Also she will be nearer to her family. I am going to miss her but she has made the right decision for her. I’d like to give her a little gift before she goes and stuck for ideas. I did think a pretty wash bag with a flannel etc but if anyone can come up with a better suggestion please do.

maxlakonsky Wed 07-Sep-22 16:28:37

I think comfy slippers or magnifying glass will be useful)
But whatever you choose, make sure it comes from the heart to let her know how much she means to you and how much you appreciate her flowers

midgey Wed 07-Sep-22 16:41:03

Something pretty for her new room? A small vase or similar.

TwiceAsNice Wed 07-Sep-22 16:44:05

Nice toiletries
Her favourite biscuits
A lap blanket
A small clock for her room?

GrannySeaside51 Wed 07-Sep-22 17:06:07

??

Granny23 Wed 07-Sep-22 17:17:09

Maybe completely off the mark but this sprang to mind (but only if she loved it) A framed picture of the house she is leaving.

MrsKen33 Wed 07-Sep-22 17:38:20

We bought my 96 yr old aunt an Historic Newspaper book. Front page of the Telegraph for every one of her birthdays. She thought it amazing and shows everyone who calls in to see her

Elrel Wed 07-Sep-22 17:48:14

If there is one, a book with photographs of a place she knows and loves. It could be where she grew up, somewhere where she spent happy holidays, anywhere with good memories for her.
A relative in her nineties liked a calendar of her home town. Another appreciated a small cushion filled with lavender.

Georgesgran Wed 07-Sep-22 20:45:36

Some good ideas here. I was going to suggest a nice photograph frame with a picture of ‘something relevant’ she’d like - perhaps family or a place she’s fond of or familiar with. I’ve just seen a little character statue for holding spectacles (Next). Is she able do crosswords or word puzzles - perhaps a colorful ballpoint pen that’s easy to see and hold.

sukie Wed 07-Sep-22 20:53:52

Thinking of things my own dm found useful when she went into a care home at 97. TwiceAsNice had good suggestions. My mother found a little talking clock very helpful as her eyes were not good and she was always wanting to know the time so pressing the button and hearing it was great. The lap blanket and biscuits are also good ideas. Mom liked to be able to offer visitors a treat of some kind as she'd always done at home. Once she was in a wheelchair, a side organizer that strapped to the armrest was very useful. If I think of more, I'll chime in again.

GrannySeaside51 Sun 11-Sep-22 16:57:27

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have given my neighbour a new wash bag with a pack of tissues, emery boards, a small tin of Vaseline and some hand cream. I have lavender bushes in the garden, and made a couple of lavender sachets from home grown local lavender.

LOUISA1523 Sun 11-Sep-22 21:34:24

I expect she will be made up with whatever you give her....as you've put a lot of thought into it and its given with affection...hope she settles well in her new home

LauraNorderr Sun 11-Sep-22 23:29:43

I was going to say that if she’s moving from a home to a small room then don’t add to the clutter. I thought that the wash bag and flannel sounded lovely, even more so now that you’ve added some useful bits and some fresh lavender. Lucky lady to have had you as a neighbour.