Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Car boot hoist for mobility scooter

(13 Posts)
Carenza123 Wed 31-Aug-22 12:18:51

Hi - I cannot continue to get my husband’s go go mobility scooter in and out of our car boot as I can’t manage it anymore. Trying to look at getting a hoist fitted in our car boot by this would cost roughly £1,500-1,800 to have one fitted which we just cannot afford. Any suggestions?

MissAdventure Wed 31-Aug-22 12:27:47

VOUNOT Folding ramp | Loading ramps 400 kg max | Folding ramp for Moto and access ramp | Resistant and convenient | Size 160 x 22.5x 4.5cm amzn.eu/d/94wHKxv

Would a ramp be any good?
There is a question from someone asking if it would be suitable for a scooter/car transfer, and others have said it works for them.

Georgesgran Wed 31-Aug-22 14:51:30

Sorry you haven’t had a lot of replies OP. Is this the kind of item that might appear, second hand, on e-bay?

Carenza123 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:07:05

Thank you for replying. There are second hand hoists on EBay, which would solve my dilemma. Then I would just need someone to fit it.

MissAdventure Wed 31-Aug-22 21:16:37

I wonder if your local council would have a scheme of some sort, to fit it?
The trouble is, a lot of these things have been closed down.
Perhaps your gp may have information to help find someone who could safely fit it?

midgey Wed 31-Aug-22 22:07:19

Is it a Motobility scooter or your own? At one point we had a hoist for my husband’s wheelchair that was provided by Motorbility. Have you tried asking in wheelchair/scooter shops, sometimes they have second hand goods. Good luck!

Carenza123 Thu 01-Sep-22 08:10:57

Again, thank you for your comments. It is for my husband’s scooter that we paid for. I cannot manage to keep dismantling it and reassembling it in future, so will need to do some further research.

MissAdventure Thu 01-Sep-22 08:23:39

I've just been googling, and there are plenty of companies who will supply and fit a hoist, but it looks as if it's an expensive outlay.

midgey Thu 01-Sep-22 11:30:21

Had another thought, having used a hoist and a ramp in the past in your shoes ( depending on your car etc) I would go for a ramp.

MissAdventure Thu 01-Sep-22 11:43:04

On amazon there is the option on some of the ramps to type in what car you have, so they can show the right ones to you.

Hithere Thu 01-Sep-22 12:56:33

I was going to suggest ramps too, although those can be a lot of work and heavy, as well as expensive

Here in the US, Medicaid may help with expenses like this, would NHS provide partial funds for this?

It is sad that solutions for mobility issues are so expensive and hard to find.

Hithere Thu 01-Sep-22 12:58:02

Maybe leave the scooter for local trips w/o car and have a wheelchair in the car?

They can be lighter and easier to take in and out

Carenza123 Thu 01-Sep-22 13:14:01

Again, everyone, thank you so much for all your comments. It is much appreciated and I will definitely pursue our gp,and mobility companies.