Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Caremark - out for excess profit?

(4 Posts)
Georgesgran Wed 10-Aug-22 18:32:50

I should add there were no social workers involved - it was all seen to by my friend, as her Aunt is just frail/elderly with memory and mobility issues.

Georgesgran Wed 10-Aug-22 18:31:12

I’d do what BarmeyOB suggests - perhaps using a smaller, local care provider.
A friend got one of the big ones for her Aunt - double time on weekends and bank holidays and when she said she’d see to her Aunt over the Jubilee break, they said they’d take that as ending the contract and as they had waiting lists, she’d have to go to the bottom. Her Aunt went into Res Care and enjoys the treatment she gets there.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 10-Aug-22 17:39:46

Can you have a go at looking for caters who will just do the times needed,

Dilemma Fri 08-Jul-22 15:59:12

My husband has Lewy Body Dementia and is immobile. For the last two years I have been his sole carer with lots of equipment to help, including a Ross Return to help with transfers.
He is now not safe on the Ross with only me there - he needs one person each side. So our social worker has been trying to sort out a care package - 4 times a day with a two person team was recommended by the Early Intervention Team who came to our aid on Wednesday when Jeff became stuck in the bathroom for want of a second helper. The social worker found a package with Caremark and a carer from Caremark visited us today to assess our needs. The care worker suggested and we all agreed that just morning & evening would be enough at 0700 and 2130. The other two times offered are 1415 and 1730. Care is due to start tonight and I thought all was well and sorted.

Next news, within 45 minutes of the care worker assessment, is that Caremark management say it is all 4 visits or nothing. There have been a lot of phone calls but no-one will tell me what these visits cost and I am awaiting the result of our financial contribution assessment. I expect to be asked to contribute £300-£450 per week, with social services paying anything above this figure.
I feel like we have been backed into a corner - my husband needs carers to be safe from falls but only to get him up and put him to bed. The inbetween times are very unlikely to coincide with his toiletting needs so Tena pants will have to cope as necessary ( I am able to assist with urination using a container).
Caremark say they can only do a four visit package due to it being a two person care team needed, but I think the company is seeking to boost its profits by being paid for awkward times.
I have told our social worker to accept the package for now but to look for another company who will just do 2 visits per day. My husband would then increase his days at a local daycare centre to fill the gap; this provides company and entertainment for him as well as having enough staff to toilet him safely anytime within 6 hours, which seems a better situation to me.