Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Audio Books Narrators

(7 Posts)
Blossoming Sun 01-Oct-23 14:16:51

I’m currently listening to Samuel West reading Tolkien’s Unfinished Tales. His voice is lovely, so pleasant to listen to. I find some actors can’t resist dramatising which spoils my enjoyment.

Do others find that the quality of the narration can make or break a book?

Littleannie Sun 01-Oct-23 14:24:38

I've given up on several because I didn't like the narrator.

Anniebach Sun 01-Oct-23 14:28:32

I am listening to all the Morse books, Samuel West reading them , love listening to him.

Caravansera Sun 01-Oct-23 14:40:15

Absolutely. The short sample isn’t always enough. I have returned many books if the reader starts to grate. Readers often fall down when they try to do multiple voices especially men trying to do female voices. We don’t read like this, do we?

Samuel West is a favourite of mine too along with Steven Pacey, Jonathan Keeble, Simon Vance, Sean Barrett and several others. Juliet Stevenson is my favourite female reader.

I’ve been listening to some of the early Midsomer Murders stories - Insp Barnaby is rather a different character to the TV adaptations. These are read by John Hopkins who played Sgt Scott in the series. Curiously, he can sound remarkably like John Nettles. Perhaps that's why he was chosen.

Boz Sun 01-Oct-23 14:46:55

I am listening to Benedict Cumberbatch read The Spire. So good.
I quite like Gareth Edwards who read the Maigret books even if all his concierges sound like Mrs. Huggett.
Juliet Stevenson, Anna Massey and Sain Philips are all good readers.

Oldbat1 Sun 01-Oct-23 15:18:09

Yes ive given up listening to some books due to the reader. Some garble and read far too quickly for my liking. As others have said Juliet Stevenson reads beautifully.

Caravansera Sun 01-Oct-23 16:46:02

For people who like Juliet Stevenson, Anna Massey and Siân Phillips, I can recommend reader Nicolette McKenzie whose reading of Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger was excellent.