Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply Again

(10 Posts)
seadragon Sat 22-Apr-23 19:37:31

I borrowed this book from our excellent local library and found it both so compelling and, at the same time, so frightening that I have ordered a copy to keep for reference. The section on education is particularly thought provoking but, best of all, the book vindicates my practice of sitting 'doing a lot of not very much' which apparently enables flow and is essential for creativity..... Just need to sort out the loft so's I can get at my felt making things... Here's a bit about the book: www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/57933306

Alexs09 Tue 21-Nov-23 17:54:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Callistemon21 Tue 21-Nov-23 17:59:27

Reported

xata012 Mon 25-Dec-23 09:36:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

TerriBull Mon 25-Dec-23 11:29:45

I read it a while ago, definitely a book for our times, much of it resonated, so much so, whilst reading it I thought this would be a good book for the classroom

pascal30 Mon 25-Dec-23 17:59:13

I've just ordered this, as I was only discussing my lack of focus recently with a friend. I find the only time I really focus nowdays is if I'm painting or meditating. So I'm really interested to see other insights.

Dickens Mon 25-Dec-23 18:21:14

pascal30

I've just ordered this, as I was only discussing my lack of focus recently with a friend. I find the only time I really focus nowdays is if I'm painting or meditating. So I'm really interested to see other insights.

I might follow suit.

The information in the link is very interesting. Thanks seadragon.

riddhi10 Tue 09-Jan-24 12:52:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

pascal30 Tue 09-Jan-24 16:09:56

Thankyou for recommending this book seadragon.. It was very interesting and really what I had been thinking for some time. It's now doing the rounds of my friends.

seadragon Tue 09-Jan-24 19:43:38

Delighted that Alexso9's post drew attention to my post albeit 7 months on and that some folk have been reading 'Stolen Focus'..as a result. Wondering, though, what Alexs09 and xata012 had to say that resulted in their comments being deleted....!