Gransnet forums

Books/book club

‘Spare’ by Prince Harry

(739 Posts)
NanKate Thu 27-Oct-22 16:08:30

To be published in January. Oh dear ?

MerylStreep Thu 27-Oct-22 16:11:49

I couldn’t believe the title. How crass.

sodapop Thu 27-Oct-22 16:16:19

Sad that he still has this chip on his shoulder.

Lexisgranny Thu 27-Oct-22 16:19:50

I just read it’s already being offered on advance order in the UK at half price.

Sara1954 Thu 27-Oct-22 16:22:18

No thanks, I won’t be snapping that up, not even if they were giving them away.

Joseanne Thu 27-Oct-22 16:29:29

sodapop

I agree. Even the title sounds very self pitying and preoccupied with his own troubles.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 27-Oct-22 16:35:55

I think it tells us, without even reading it, that it won’t be a happy memoir. Not a very attractive cover either.

GagaJo Thu 27-Oct-22 16:46:03

I think I'll probably read it. I won't buy it tho.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Oct-22 16:48:39

Driving his father and brother spare I should imagine
He will regret this to his grave

granmarie1 Thu 27-Oct-22 16:52:36

I understand that if you don't want to read the book you don't have too but exactly how much more self pitying bleating do we have to put up with from him and his wife??? I feel sorry that one day he may regret all this but it'll be far too late then!

gulligranny Thu 27-Oct-22 16:54:59

Will he, though, Fanny? He seems to have (like his wife) such an enormous sense of his own righteousness - or "truth" as I understand we should call it - that regret would probably never feature in his life because after all it's not him who's in the wrong, is it!

I feel so sorry for all the children who will never know their aunts/uncles/cousins, all of which were so important to me when I was growing up.

ixion Thu 27-Oct-22 16:57:59

A little soupçon of what awaits.

(That theme is picked up in) the publicity statement for the book, which says: "With its raw, unflinching honesty, Spare is a landmark publication full of insight, revelation, self-examination, and hard-won wisdom about the eternal power of love over grief."
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63413586

ParlorGames Thu 27-Oct-22 17:02:19

Second child syndrome springs to mind.

merlotgran Thu 27-Oct-22 17:14:39

Well, I’m a second child and I would never, ever treat or have treated my family or in-laws the way that Harry has.

It’s easy to blame Meghan’s influence but he is the one who had the privileged up bringing and continued support of his father. He should be ashamed of himself.

I hope his vengeful booky wook does not match up to the publisher’s expectations and they end up out of pocket having paid him an advance of many millions.

Joseanne Thu 27-Oct-22 17:14:58

ParlorGames

Princess Anne didn't bleat on and on.
Many studies suggest a 2nd child can often be more successful and well adjusted than the first.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Oct-22 17:17:16

sodapop

He's very well balanced, he has chips on both shoulders.

Oh dear, he has a lot of unresolved issues and really needs some professional help, doesn't he.

Did he really want to be King one day?
He should be honest with himself because I doubt he does want that and should be relieved that he is DC2 and that his brother has a family now.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Oct-22 17:19:43

I wonder which charity shop will have the first one ?

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Oct-22 17:25:11

GagaJo

I think I'll probably read it. I won't buy it tho.

Perhaps we shouldn't comment until we've read it.

What's the lowest amount I would pay as I don't know anyone likely to buy it. hmm

Prentice Thu 27-Oct-22 17:28:31

Lexisgranny

I just read it’s already being offered on advance order in the UK at half price.

It will soon be in the bargain bins in bookshops.

Prentice Thu 27-Oct-22 17:30:02

ixion

A little soupçon of what awaits.

(That theme is picked up in) the publicity statement for the book, which says: "With its raw, unflinching honesty, Spare is a landmark publication full of insight, revelation, self-examination, and hard-won wisdom about the eternal power of love over grief."
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63413586

Crikey!

Casdon Thu 27-Oct-22 17:31:35

Joseanne

ParlorGames

Princess Anne didn't bleat on and on.
Many studies suggest a 2nd child can often be more successful and well adjusted than the first.

Princess Anne wasn’t the spare though was she?

NanKate Thu 27-Oct-22 17:32:03

Meryl you did make me laugh. ?

My son writes for Penguin Random House and recently I saw one of his books in the local Oxfam shop. I thought he would be pleased it was being passed on. ‘Mum that’s awful they don’t want to keep my book’. ☹️ I wonder if they have charity shops in the US.

Sara1954 Thu 27-Oct-22 17:35:57

I can’t imagine the hurt it’s going to cause, no going back from this one Harry.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Oct-22 17:41:49

It could make a handy door stop, covered in a nice Chintz.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 27-Oct-22 17:44:06

Thing is, the tabloid press and others write what they like about the Royal family so why can’t Harry write his own book? People like Piers Morgan has been getting his knickers in a huge knot over this book, but he is happy to write reams of rubbish about Harry and Meghan. Look how many books have been written about Diana. When she did write her own version of events via Andrew Morton, it was if the sky had fallen in. So good for Harry. If he has written the truth and his family are upset, so be it.