Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The places we read about and are transported to.

(25 Posts)
Glorianny Thu 13-Oct-22 11:26:15

If you were transported to the setting of the book you are reading where would you be? And what's the book?

I'm in Junchow, China in 1928
Reading The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall

grannydarkhair Thu 13-Oct-22 11:50:55

Paris (mostly)/the rest of France during the Revolution. City of Darkness, City of Light by Marge Piercy.
Not as good as A Place of Greater Safety, the Hilary Mantel book on the same subject nor as good as Gone to Soldiers by MP which is one of my favourite books ever, but still enjoyable.

Lathyrus Thu 13-Oct-22 11:52:02

Oh gosh. I’ve just finished reading “Snow Widows” about the women left behind from Scott’s disastrous Polar mission.

I was there with them all, waiting and hoping and trying to maintain something of a normal life. even when I wasn’t reading the book!

fairfraise Thu 13-Oct-22 12:00:17

I'm in Siberia reading Through Siberia by Accident by Dervla Murphy. She was heading for the Far East Coast of the but she's had a few injur

I'm in Siberia reading Through Siberia by Accident written by Dervla Murphy. She's on the BAM railway, had intended to use her bike a lot but has had a few injuries.

Snow Widows sounds like a good read.

Yammy Thu 13-Oct-22 13:00:28

Burma, during WW2 after Reading "Quartered Safe Out Here",
by George MacDonald Fraser. He was stationed there with other Cumbrians. I have a relation buried near Mandalay.

Septimia Thu 13-Oct-22 13:16:11

Currently the area along the Thames around Buscot - I'm reading "Once Upon a River" by Diane Setterfield.

Before that I was reading Ann Swinfen's Oxford Mediaeval Mystery series, so around the Thames again but further downstream.

SueDonim Thu 13-Oct-22 13:17:45

I’m in Sydney, Australia, in 1788. My husband is an army officer but most other ‘expats’ are prisoners transported for life. ?

Juno56 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:34:08

I'm in London. I'm reading False Value by Ben Aaronovitch.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 22-Dec-22 23:13:52

I am in 17th century London and America as the killers of Charles 1st are hunted down. Reading Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris.

Gin Thu 22-Dec-22 23:37:12

Fairfraise, I love Dervla Murphy’s books. Her description of Afghanistan in ‘Full Tilt’ was breathe taking. Oh how I would love to have been there fifty years ago.

AussieGran59 Fri 23-Dec-22 09:01:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greyduster Fri 23-Dec-22 09:09:29

I’m in the Greek camp at Troy, after the battle, with the women of the ruined burning city, awaiting their fate which was mostly to be shipped into slavery, as Pat Barker outlines in her brilliant novel, “Silence of the Girls”. Each time I read it, it brings me to tears.

MerylStreep Fri 23-Dec-22 09:17:02

Cornwall. I’m reading Rebecca, again.

rubysong Fri 23-Dec-22 09:21:31

SueDonim what is the book please, about 1788 Australia?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Dec-22 09:28:54

Currently in a grand country house in Sussex.

It is a tradition of mine to read an 1930s murder mystery every Christmas.

Tomorrow it will be Victorian London - guess the book🎅🎅🎅👻👻👻😄

Calendargirl Fri 23-Dec-22 09:30:26

I’m on Lindisfarne, where DCI Maxwell Ryan is investigating countless murders.

It’s a ‘I’ve started, so I’ll finish’ book.

Sadly, does not encourage me to visit.

luluaugust Fri 23-Dec-22 09:33:45

I am reading Passion Killers by Linda Regan who gave a talk to our U3A, so I would either be in a police station or a strip club!

biglouis Fri 23-Dec-22 09:37:05

Im in a grand country house for a shooting weekend in the 1930s. There is a murder mystery to solve. Reading "The Remains of the Day" by author Kazuo Ishiguro.

Blondiescot Fri 23-Dec-22 09:39:46

Funnily enough, not far from home - Edinburgh. Just finished The Damage Done by James Oswald. I love crime books, especially those set in and around where I live.

Greyduster Fri 23-Dec-22 09:42:09

It’s a ‘I’ve started, so I’ll finish’ book. Sadly, does not encourage me to visit. They were my sentiments too, Calendargirl.

Glorianny Fri 23-Dec-22 09:50:46

It's so funny I'm in 1930's London. I'm reading Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn stories. Some were reprinted in a book in the early 2000s. Is it something about Christmas that drives us to historic mystery stories?

Calendargirl The latest "Vera" story is set on Lindisfarne. They are filming there now. Do watch it. It might change your mind about visiting.

TerriBull Fri 23-Dec-22 10:38:21

Right now I'm reading the latest Srike "The Ink Black Heart" which is pretty London based. I love the Ellie Griffiths Ruth Galloways they always transport me to North Norfolk, particularly her cottage on the edge of the Salt Marshes they really gave me the impetus to visit that part of the country twice now!

I do enjoy books that evoke both a different era and various parts of the world, the more descriptive of both those themes usually adds to the overall enjoyment for me.

VB000 Fri 23-Dec-22 10:43:34

Recently read this one - cat lovers will like it, and it's set in modern Japan.

www.goodreads.com/book/show/40961230-the-travelling-cat-chronicles

Calendargirl Fri 23-Dec-22 10:51:55

Glorianny

Not so much the place, but the actual tale is pretty dire. More ‘chick lit’ than a proper crime story.

Am sure Lindisfarne is a lovely place, but the strange characters in this novel put me off.

And I don’t warm to the dastardly handsome policeman either. Too hunky to be true.

teabagwoman Fri 23-Dec-22 13:24:06

I’m on the Isle of Skye having just started Lin Anderson’s Time for the Dead. Too soon to say what I think about the book but I would love to visit the island.