Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Still Life by Sarah Winman.

(11 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Mon 12-Sep-22 00:03:07

Has anyone read this? I bought it as it had fantastic reviews. However, I am up to page 69 and not sure if I will go on much further if it doesn’t improve. I am hoping someone will tell me it is worth continuing and that they enjoyed it. I usually finish books but I can’t say I am enjoying this one. Look forward to reading any opinions on it.

teabagwoman Mon 12-Sep-22 06:59:48

It took me a little while to settle into it but I was so glad that I did. It made me both laugh and cry and I was sorry to finish it.

J52 Mon 12-Sep-22 07:21:21

It is a bit of a slow starter, but worth continuing, it became two stories that were intertwined.
It’s enhanced, if you’ve ever been to Florence and you can imagine yourself there.
Quite a few twists and surprises.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 12-Sep-22 08:50:24

Thank you teabagwoman and JF2. I will now definitely continue. So pleased you both enjoyed it. Yes I have been to Florence and I love art so was hoping to enjoy it.

SueDonim Mon 12-Sep-22 11:58:22

I didn’t enjoy it, it seemed wooden and with unlikable characters.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 13-Sep-22 10:40:13

Well *Sue” I have continued in hope and so far I have to agree with you. She tells you what is happening but not what the characters are really feeling. It’s a strange style which I don’t feel is really literary if you know what I mean !!!

SueDonim Tue 13-Sep-22 10:45:23

Ah yes, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there, Lovetopaint! It did feel as though the characters were dissociated from the events around them.

It could have been so much better - a missed opportunity.

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Sep-22 10:45:56

I loved it as did all my book group.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 16-Sep-22 09:33:17

Still pushing myself to continue and yes it brightened up when Ulysses is gifted a fantastic home in Florence which seemed so unlikely that the sense of unreality continued. I am now with Evelyn Skinner and hoping that will have some more substance though so far her art lessons which so beguile her students sound more annoying than informative. I am forcing myself to stay the distance.

fairfraise Fri 16-Sep-22 09:45:37

I loved Still Life and after reading this have ordered Evelyn Skinner from library.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 22-Sep-22 19:26:30

I’m obviously in the minority as I was three quarters through and I gave it up. Now loving The Lamplighters which was recommended on here