Gransnet forums

Books/book club

For those of you who enjoyed resding Where the Crawdads Sing

(38 Posts)
CocoPops Tue 19-Jul-22 04:02:09

I went to see the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

tiredoldwoman Tue 19-Jul-22 04:10:01

Oooh , I loved that book but didn't realise that it had been made into a film ! I'll have to see if it's playing in St.Andrews .

Hiraeth Tue 19-Jul-22 05:03:27

A beautiful book .looking forward to seeing the film

nanna8 Tue 19-Jul-22 05:32:54

One of my favourite books. The movie is released here next week.

CocoPops Tue 19-Jul-22 06:32:24

The movie is 2 hours and 5 minutes long. It is true to the book with a few omissions (which you might spot) but that did not diminish the film at all .

MerylStreep Tue 19-Jul-22 06:58:48

When I love a book so much I’m a bit loathe to see the film. Just in case they don’t capture what I have in my head.
And I do love this book.

Lucca Tue 19-Jul-22 07:56:03

I’m phobic ..seriously.. about alligators. Can’t even look at a photo of one.
Do they appear a lot in the film ? If so I’ll not go as I’d be peering through fingers.

Beechnut Tue 19-Jul-22 08:24:57

I enjoyed the book. I am looking forward to seeing the film so am glad to hear it’s true to the book.

Mollygo Tue 19-Jul-22 09:51:49

I couldn’t get into the book, but I’ll try the film. After all, it worked for Captain Corelli’s mandolin.

Davida1968 Tue 19-Jul-22 10:02:46

Like tiredoldwoman I enjoyed book but I'd no idea about the film. Sounds like one to watch, when it comes over my way.

TerriBull Tue 19-Jul-22 10:12:54

I read the book and really liked it, saw a trailer from the film when I recently saw the Elvis film, thought it looked good, of course trailers show the highlights, nevertheless thought it appeared true to the book. I would definitely like to see it.

JackyB Tue 19-Jul-22 10:55:44

I can't say I "enjoyed" the book. I think, though, that I would prefer to keep it in my memory as I read it and won't be going to see the film (if it should ever be screened here in the original English)

Lucca Tue 19-Jul-22 11:37:01

Mollygo

I couldn’t get into the book, but I’ll try the film. After all, it worked for Captain Corelli’s mandolin.

Other way round for me. Took a while to get into the book but loved it, film was awful. Nicholas cage completely miscast !

CocoPops Tue 19-Jul-22 14:42:23

Lucca. I remember seeing one alligator at the beginning.

watermeadow Wed 20-Jul-22 19:27:26

I knew it had been filmed but won’t go to see it. I didn’t think much of the book. The descriptions are lovely but the murder story is clumsy and stupid and the poems are awful.

Prentice Wed 20-Jul-22 19:47:24

JackyB

I can't say I "enjoyed" the book. I think, though, that I would prefer to keep it in my memory as I read it and won't be going to see the film (if it should ever be screened here in the original English)

I think this is how I feel too.
It is a really well written book and I felt so sorry for that brave girl but also upset that so few people helped her.
I did feel bored too at times and think maybe it needed to be a shorter book? There were a lot of drawn out descriptive pieces.Perhaps others liked those though.

Mollygo Wed 20-Jul-22 21:23:04

It made me go back and reread East of Eden.

Lucca Wed 20-Jul-22 22:15:03

CocoPops

Lucca. I remember seeing one alligator at the beginning.

Thank you !

M0nica Sun 24-Jul-22 20:50:27

I haven't read this book, but when searching for something else, I came across this review of the book/film and article on the back ground of the author. www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2022/07/where-the-crawdads-sing-movie-review-delia-owens/670533/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB ,, which left me feeling very uneasy about whether the author is fictionalising a very troubling (to others) period in her life.

CocoPops Mon 25-Jul-22 05:45:37

Yes, I see what you mean Monica. Delia Owens was a wildlife biologist and worked in Africa for 20 years before writing fiction. She said using her experience as a nature lover helped her to write "Where the Crawdads Sing". When she, her husband and stepson worked in Zambia part of the conservation work involved an anti-poaching patrol to try to prevent the killing of elephants. An unidentified, alleged poacher person was shot. Delia Owens said she had nothing to do with the killing and has not been accused of anything.
Apparently the Zambian authorities do not believe she was directly involved in the killing but view her as an important potential witness. I don't know if the publicity is good or bad for the movie ratings.
The movie has had mixed reviews and I agree that the marshes look beautified (super photography) on film as did Kya's dresses. The book location was North Carolina and the movie location was Louisiana. The movie is only 2 hours 5 mins long so not everything in the book could be crammed in. The romance was revved up a bit, great scenery and posh frocks gets bum on seats though!

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 08:11:23

I find it problematic that someone is making money from this while, as the link suggests, there are deeply problematic aspects to a crime that she was, at the minimum, a spectator of and where the Zambian authorities are still trying to interview her.

I think your version of the story, CocoPops is somewhat sanitised - compared with the link.

merlotgran Mon 25-Jul-22 18:01:29

I enjoyed the book and I’m going to see the film on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Riverwalk Mon 25-Jul-22 18:10:54

I enjoyed the book - it was a bookclub read and everyone gave a high mark.

From what I've read of the film it's a bit sanitised and glossy with not enough Southern swamp and grit. I'd like to see the film.

Shirley48 Mon 25-Jul-22 21:52:01

I enjoyed the book. Saw the film this week and found it very sanitised - you didn’t get the feeling of the likely filth and smells of the swamp. All the clothes were spotlessly clean and the environment was almost always bathed in glowing sunlight. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it!

CocoPops Tue 26-Jul-22 02:00:55

* Shirley* So pleased to hear you enjoyed it