Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books that everyone likes except you?

(158 Posts)
toscalily Fri 10-Jun-22 14:54:51

I remember reading Chocolate by Joanne Harris years ago, everyone seemed to rave about that at the time. I have now been given the Strawberry Thief and I'm struggling, several chapters in and not sure I can be bothered to continue. I went and looked it up on Amazon and apparently there are two earlier books in the series which I was unaware of. Did consider reading those first but don't think that would make any difference after reading a synopsis of both. hmm

winterwhite Fri 10-Jun-22 14:57:53

The Lord of the Rings.

fairfraise Fri 10-Jun-22 15:00:29

The Lord of the Rings, never got beyond first chapter. Same with Harry Potter series.

J52 Fri 10-Jun-22 15:02:10

This is Going to Hurt, I saw no humour in a situation that could be dangerous for both mother and child. But then remembered, it was written by a man.

aggie Fri 10-Jun-22 15:02:40

I decided to read all Dickens ! But Pickwick Papers defeated me ! Think I read most of the rest and enjoyed them

aggie Fri 10-Jun-22 15:03:57

I didn’t find This is Going to Hurt at all funny , but desperately sad

Elizabeth27 Fri 10-Jun-22 15:43:15

The books by Richard Osman, a lot of people raved about them but i read 2 and found them slow going and rather silly.

mrswoo Fri 10-Jun-22 15:44:12

I have read Jane Eyre a couple of times but have never understood why it is considered a classic. I'm sure I'm in the minority in disliking it.

Daddima Fri 10-Jun-22 15:49:39

Elizabeth27

The books by Richard Osman, a lot of people raved about them but i read 2 and found them slow going and rather silly.

I only managed the first one, and was distinctly underwhelmed!
I wouldn’t attempt Lord of the Rings, as I know it’s not my thing, but I saw all the plaudits for The Thursday Murder Club, and gave it a go.

Granmarderby10 Fri 10-Jun-22 16:05:45

The Catcher In The Rhye Irritating adolescent twerp

HousePlantQueen Fri 10-Jun-22 16:10:13

This is going to hurt was not the slightest bit entertaining.

Lord of The Rings or any fantasy novel bores me rigid.

I love Jane Eyre but cannot get into Wuthering Heights.

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. Awful

I don't persist with books, life is too short and there are too many books to read to spend time slogging through something I do not enjoy.

Oh, and anything by Salman Rushdie. Unreadable, pretentious, and nobody will say so. Except me

Greyduster Fri 10-Jun-22 16:12:54

The Hobbit. Never got as far as Lord of the Rings. My friend lent me both and couldn’t understand why I thought they were unreadable!

Blondiescot Fri 10-Jun-22 16:15:05

Oh, I loved most of those mentioned already! Read Lord of the Rings at a very early age and it's still one of my favourites. I could never really get into Dickens though.
More recently, I loathed Gone Girl, although almost everyone I knew who had read it raved about it. The Time Traveller's Wife also left me a bit cold. And don't even get me started on Fifty Shades of Grey...
And I have never ever NOT finished a book. Even if I'm not particularly enjoying it, I will read it to the bitter end.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 10-Jun-22 16:15:55

I don’t think ‘This is Going to Hurt’ was supposed to be entertaining. It gives an at the coalface view of how the NHS isn’t working properly. I remember over 40 years ago seeing a young doctor in hospital after I had a miscarriage. He looked exhausted. I saw him again a few hours later, looking even more exhausted.

I don’t often give up on books but I’ve never finished Ulysses. I have tried to persuade people in my Book Group to read ‘The first Circle’, the best book ever, but they won’t.

GagaJo Fri 10-Jun-22 16:17:44

Granmarderby10

The Catcher In The Rhye Irritating adolescent twerp

Thank you Granmarderby10. Whinging little rich boy. Spoiled brat masquerading as existential angst.

Lord of the Rings.

Anything by Dickens.

Don't hate Jane Austen but she bores me rigid.

GagaJo Fri 10-Jun-22 16:18:29

Ditto Ulysses Ladyleftfieldlover. Also War and Peace.

CatsCatsCats Fri 10-Jun-22 16:20:38

Read the first Harry Potter book, but didn't get into it enough to read any of the others.

I read the first Richard Osman book but didn't bother with the second, even after all the hype.

I adored A Christmas Carol, but none of Dicken's books have managed to live up to that one.

This is Going to Hurt I found both funny and sad.

And Time Traveller's Wife I didn't get beyond the first few pages, nor with Room (what 4 year old child speaks like that??).

But adored We Need to Talk About Kevin, so much so, I've read everything written by Lionel Shriver before and since.

SachaMac Fri 10-Jun-22 16:28:24

The Hobbit for me too, it was the first book we were given to read in English class at grammar school & I just couldn’t get into it. I tried reading it again in recent years but gave up!!

Luckygirl3 Fri 10-Jun-22 16:30:53

Lord of the Rings
All the Phillip Pullman stuff

DillytheGardener Fri 10-Jun-22 16:36:09

J52 I agree ‘This is going to hurt’ was not funny at all and deeply depressing.
When the ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ madness was at its peak I read one page from a book at a train lending library, and it was utter tosh. So poorly written.
I love Joanna Trollope but none of my friends do, but saw a thread on a tv adaptation of her book, which others seemed to have read and enjoyed so I’m not the only fan.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jun-22 17:12:16

I have read two Audrey Niffenegger’s books Time Travellers Wife and thought it was ok, I then read Her Fearful Symmetry and really struggled with it, I persevered to the end though.

SueDonim Fri 10-Jun-22 17:16:10

Harry Potter. I can see why it appeals to children but it did nothing for me.

Most Sci-Fi/fantasy is lost on me and I’m hopeless at crime books as I miss all the clues. grin

Greyduster Fri 10-Jun-22 17:20:04

C.P. Snow’s “The New Men”. A cure for insomnia.

Witzend Fri 10-Jun-22 17:20:30

I’m another who could never get into Wuthering Heights. Love Jane Eyre and a lot of other Victorian fiction though.

I couldn’t bear We Need To Talk About Kevin - couldn’t even finish it.

Yammy Fri 10-Jun-22 17:34:00

Any Dickens I was called a philistine for that so bought DH 'Hard Times ''for Christmas he got to page 3
Lord of the rings.
Harry potter
Ulysses
Flashman
This is going to hurt
Jamaca Inn.
Catherine Cookson,incest, illegitimacy and some one at the big house on the hunt.