Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Robert Galbraith

(16 Posts)
Jaxjacky Sat 05-Mar-22 13:32:37

I’ve just read that the new book - The Ink Black Heart, will be out on August 30th this year. I’ve really enjoyed them all so far.

TerriBull Sat 05-Mar-22 15:19:31

also read about the release date, It's a long wait Jaxjacky! but usually they are quite weighty, none of the 350 pages that seem to be the standard length for any crime novels. I loved the last one "Troubled Blood" far, far more than the predecessors. I'm looking forward to the dramatisation of that, Tome Burke and Holiday Grainger are very well cast imo.

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Mar-22 15:23:03

Agree Terri I did wait for the paperbacks of both Troubled Blood and Lethal White, big hardbacks are difficult to balance in bed or on a sun lounger!

Calendargirl Sat 05-Mar-22 18:41:59

The tv adaptation of ‘Troubled Blood’ is being filmed now.

Deedaa Fri 29-Apr-22 14:46:32

I love the Strike books. Addictive page turners like Harry Potter. I particularly enjoyed Troubled Blood with the Cornwall and Clerkenwell connections - and Strike's doomed attempts to buy Robin a present!

Ilovecheese Fri 29-Apr-22 15:27:46

I enjoy the books although they are a bit long, I think the TV series is very well cast, and they are such a likeable characters.

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Apr-22 17:09:52

I’ve just pre ordered it from Amazon, it’s half price £12.50

Rosina Fri 29-Apr-22 18:39:11

I really enjoyed the books too - and the TV adaptions, which have to be a very much slimmed down version, as otherwise there would be a possible twenty episodes. The casting is excellent - and I do agree that the books are 'unputdownable' once you start.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Apr-22 19:02:07

Jaxjacky

I’ve just pre ordered it from Amazon, it’s half price £12.50

Thanks for the info

Treebee Fri 29-Apr-22 19:23:18

That’s good news as I love the Strike books too. The telly adaptations are spot on.

Deedaa Sun 16-Oct-22 20:14:29

I've just finished The Ink Black Heart. It took me a while to get into it, partly because I was reading it in bed and it quickly becomes VERY heavy! I know some people have had problems with the pages of on line chat in it. I think the problem is that JK is so good at what she does. She perfectly replicates the mind numbing fanaticism of some of the fans and the depressing lack of education some of them display and it can make heavy reading. There are all the usual twists and turns and red herrings.

Jane71 Sun 16-Oct-22 20:16:34

I've loved her previous Strike books, but do find them heavy. Did I hear someone say this book is over 1,000 pages?

Calendargirl Mon 17-Oct-22 17:20:32

Yes, it’s over 1000 pages long, and I agree, the online chats are the least interesting part of the book.

Am a big Strike fan, but have to admit it’s the ongoing professional/personal relationship between Strike and Robin that keeps me hooked, far more than the actual crimes.

You can really relate to their feelings about each other.

I found myself spinning out the last 300 or so pages, just to make it last!

Cold Mon 17-Oct-22 17:37:02

I loved this book.

However I did struggle a bit with the kindle version as the "message board chats" had been typed in some sort of micro-text font size that could not be expanded and was hard to read. However a wrist problem means I would struggle to hold the 1024 page print version

NotAGran55 Mon 17-Oct-22 18:07:42

I’ve got this in my Audible library and is next on my list. Almost 33 hours!

Chardy Mon 17-Oct-22 20:00:07

I loved it on Audible but found the "internet" bits hard work. I listen for half an hour when I go to bed.
I've bought the book now (£12.50 for hardback on a well-known internet site) and when I re-listen (as I will), I'll use the book for those parts.