Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any recommendations on Kindle unlimited

(15 Posts)
62Granny Tue 15-Feb-22 17:36:27

Has anybody got any recommendations for kindle unlimited books? I am currently reading "The Library" by Bella Osborne which I am enjoying . I have read a lot of Amanda Prowse in the past but am finding her characters a bit tedious lately so not enjoying them as much. Don't like nothing too gruesome but don't mind a good detective story.

Elegran Tue 15-Feb-22 18:01:55

Can you read any book that is for sale on Kindle, or is it limited to specific titles? With a name like "Kindle Unlimited" it ought to be any!

Is you can choose any book, some series I can recommend, with fairly civilised murders and good characters, are:

"Death on a Longship" by Marsali Taylor (The Shetland Sailing Mysteries Book 1)
"Death in a Scarlet Gown" by Lexie Conyngham (of The Murray of Letho series Book 1)
"The Crossing Places" by Elly Griffiths (The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries Book 1)
"After the Armistice Ball" ( by Catriona McPherson (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery Series Book 1)

Peasblossom Tue 15-Feb-22 18:10:12

I tried it ages go and I think it was three books a month or something like that and it wasn’t anything like all the books in their lists. Poor value I thought.

I’d be interested to know if it’s changed.

Oldbat1 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:54:31

Just be very careful before you opt to join! I opted last month for a special offer of 99pence a month for a 3month trial and they promptly took £24. I tried to cancel immediately ie within 10mins but failed. On trying to contact Amazon direct Has proved impossible so I’ve paid for something I don’t want!!! Hate being duped.

Freya5 Tue 15-Feb-22 20:10:23

There are many choices of books on Kindle unlimited, more than enough to read without having to pay extra . Depends what you like really, I’d recommend Irina Sharpe for time travel romance,Michael Robertson jnr for supernatural, Elly Griffiths, although not all free. JM Dalgleish , LJ Ross, Joy Ellis, JR Ellis and Jane Adams. All crime. I hope you find something to suit you.

Mamie Thu 17-Feb-22 11:30:36

I pay 7.99 a month for Kindle Unlimited. Obviously no limit on the number of books in the KU section. I have never seen any Ellie Griffiths on there though. I have enjoyed the Beatrice Stubbs detective series recently.

Freya5 Thu 17-Feb-22 12:48:45

Mamie

I pay 7.99 a month for Kindle Unlimited. Obviously no limit on the number of books in the KU section. I have never seen any Ellie Griffiths on there though. I have enjoyed the Beatrice Stubbs detective series recently.

Yes I’ve just checked, borrowed some four years ago, have had a break from Kindle, but now seem only able to buy them. Shame but still authors have to earn a living. Will look at Beatrice Stubbs.

Elegran Thu 17-Feb-22 19:05:59

I reckon it is a bit of a cheek to call it "Kindle Unlimited" and then only let you read some of the books on their vast list of books for sale. If they have decided that it isn't commercially viable to open up all their stock, then they should have a very clear limit stated in all the blurbs "Limited to books priced at less than £XX" for instance.

I have tried unsuccessfully to find "Kindle Unlimited FAQs", to see exactly what it says about which books you can select from, after seeing a reference to it somewhere (but not a link) It doesn't seem to exist. It seems impossible to see a list of included books or authors until you are committed. How do you know before you subscribe whether you are paying £7.99 a month for books that you want to read, or gambling on a lucky dip?

nadateturbe Tue 28-Jun-22 09:12:20

I've just finished Waiting to Begin by Amanda Prowse. It's a very light read. I buy light reads for during the night when I can't sleep.
It was very good and kept my interest, almost made me cry.

Elizabeth27 Tue 28-Jun-22 10:14:12

Elegran On the home page click kindle books, then kindle unlimited, it will then only show books in the unlimited section and you can filter the genre from there.

martinthebandit Tue 28-Jun-22 10:33:23

I use kindle unlimited when Amazon are kind enough to put it on special offer. I believe for a book to be available the author has to agree as they get paid very little for books borrowed through ‘unlimited’

I also use uk.freereadfeed.com/ for free books although there is a lot of rubbish published, when I do find a good book though I tend to look up the author and buy any of the others they have published.

toscalily Tue 28-Jun-22 14:17:42

I disagree Elegran I think it can be good value if you choose wisely. You have to learn to use Kindle Unlimited to your own advantage. Watch for special offers, easy to sign up for various email reminders. Look out for special promotions on certain genres or authors and to prove it here is a link: www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/hz/subscribe/ku?ref=abpmku_22_2_uk_psr_gs_r_mn_x_3mft_lps_2wSOsEqcGS_r02&tag=gransnetforum-21
Sign up for 6 months, cancel, have a little break and then when you are ready sign up when they have another special deal.

Floradora9 Tue 28-Jun-22 21:38:24

Elegran

I reckon it is a bit of a cheek to call it "Kindle Unlimited" and then only let you read some of the books on their vast list of books for sale. If they have decided that it isn't commercially viable to open up all their stock, then they should have a very clear limit stated in all the blurbs "Limited to books priced at less than £XX" for instance.

I have tried unsuccessfully to find "Kindle Unlimited FAQs", to see exactly what it says about which books you can select from, after seeing a reference to it somewhere (but not a link) It doesn't seem to exist. It seems impossible to see a list of included books or authors until you are committed. How do you know before you subscribe whether you are paying £7.99 a month for books that you want to read, or gambling on a lucky dip?

You see the books you can borrow by looking at their web page there are hundreds. You get up to 20 books at a time so there is not much to grumble about I think . I really enjoy the books I get and read mostly biographies . This is in addition to the books I get from my local library. If you do not want to pay borrow library books both online and real books.

BigBertha1 Tue 28-Jun-22 22:34:03

Anything by Lisa Jewell but especially The Family Upstairs.

Egwin Sat 27-Aug-22 12:18:24

I use Kindle Unlimited and like toscalily's suggestion of a break, but have to say I never see special offers for it!

I enjoy Evelyn James, Clara Fitzgerald stories set in 1920s Brighton with Clara as a woman detective. Easy to read not gruesome, and nice characters.