Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2022 50 BOOKS - OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN MANAGE

(737 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 02-Jan-22 16:18:05

Happy New Year readers, welcome to the new 2022 "50" books challenge. All readers are welcome, as always that figure is aspirational, don't let that number deter you if you wish to partake and don't think you will reach that number, it really doesn't matter.

Please come to this thread to tell us what you are reading, whether you liked it or not. I would also mention audio/Audible can also be included in your tally.

Here's to a new year of enjoyable reading.

TerriBull Sun 02-Jan-22 16:20:49

Starting off the year with:

Magpie Elizabeth Day

grandMattie Sun 02-Jan-22 16:26:21

The story of Lucy gault by Wm. Trevor

maryrose54 Sun 02-Jan-22 16:47:09

One August Night, Victoria Hislop

Shelbel Sun 02-Jan-22 16:55:48

Book 1. Starting the year with
A son of the circus by John Irving.

It's a weighty tome so I might be a while.

Susan56 Sun 02-Jan-22 17:00:33

I have just finished The Heron’s Cry by Ann Cleeves and am about to start Unholy Murder by Lynda La Plante.

The Heron’s Cry is the second book in a series with a new detective,Matthew Venn.I really enjoyed it and will look forward to the next in the series.

NotAGran55 Sun 02-Jan-22 17:02:46

Starting with The Widow by KL Slater

nandad Sun 02-Jan-22 17:15:38

Just seen 2021’s thread which has given me loads of ideas for this year. I have just started The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

Calendargirl Sun 02-Jan-22 18:49:07

#1. The Summer That Never Was by Peter Robinson.

Am gradually reading all the DCI Banks books, not in the right order unfortunately. The books are so much better than the tv series, starring a mis-cast Stephen Tompkinson.

Greyduster Sun 02-Jan-22 19:32:57

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Leftari. I started this book last year, read a chapter, decided I didn’t like it and have only just picked it up again. Glad I did.

GrandmasueUK Mon 03-Jan-22 13:16:57

Bob Mortimer, The Autobiography. And Away ...
Just started it and it does look good.

GreyKnitter Mon 03-Jan-22 13:19:41

I’m rereading Winter Solace by Rosamund Pilcher

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-Jan-22 14:42:08

I’m currently still reading my Christmas choice:

1. Christmas on Coronation Street, Maggie Sullivan - a cosy, nostalgic read set in WW2 and starring a young Elsie Tanner

and I’m also halfway through

2. Little Darlings, Maggie Golding, which is a well written and intriguing mystery, but there are some other-worldly goings on that aren’t to my usual taste.

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-Jan-22 14:44:17

Sorry, Melanie Golding, not another Maggie.

Parsley3 Mon 03-Jan-22 14:49:44

I posted on this last year but kept forgetting. Will do better in 2022.
Starting with The Reckoning by John Grisham. A tad overlong with a predictable twist at the end.

Grannmarie Mon 03-Jan-22 15:06:41

Thank you, TerriBull.

In the run up to Christmas, I was re reading How far is it to Bethlehem by Norah Lofts. It was recommended on a GN thread like this last year, I really enjoyed it and it is now my December reading.?

After Christmas, I had a sofa ? day and read The Man Who Died Twice, the new Richard Osman. I laughed out loud a few times, also it was interesting to learn a bit more about the characters' back stories.

I have just started reading How to Fall in Love by Cecilia Ahern, not sure about it yet. I sometimes find her books a hit or a miss?

I have chosen Anxious People by Fredrik Backman for our Book Group meeting at the end of January. I read it last year and found it very different, quirky and heartwarming, set in Sweden with a particularly Nordic sense of noir and humour. I've just heard that it is now on Netflix, dubbed/ subtitles.

Reading ? has been my distraction during the pandemic. I come from a family of avid readers, my Dad took us to the local library every Saturday, I can't remember a day without reading.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations. ☺

TerriBull Mon 03-Jan-22 15:26:24

Welcome to the new thread Grannmarie, I always welcome recommendations, some of my favourite books were among those that seemed to go down well on MN. It's good to have our own smaller reading community here on GN too

Jaxjacky Mon 03-Jan-22 16:04:11

I’ll join this year if I may. I’m an avid reader, have been since I was a child and read for transitory entertainment. Generally murder mysteries or frothy novels, not historical.
Anyway, right now I’m reading The Weekends of You and Me by Fiona Walker.

Cs783 Mon 03-Jan-22 16:15:10

Just finished Ian McEwan’s Enduring Love. Exceptionally, listened to it as that was the only format available from the library. Beautifully acted, and kept me engaged with seesawing sympathies. But I think I might have stopped reading as the twists started to irritate, and I would have stopped reading the book. Will have to be very judicious about which books I’m prepared to listen to. Perhaps only very short ones!

Grandmabatty Mon 03-Jan-22 16:16:22

I going to start the year with Autopsy by Patricia Cornwell. It's the last Kay Scarpetta novel. She sent me a signed copy (I know, I'm a poser?) and I haven't started it yet. This is definitely a New Year's resolution I will try to keep.

Jaxjacky Mon 03-Jan-22 16:19:35

Not jealous at all Grandmabatty…ok, only a weeny bit, enjoy the book.

Juno56 Mon 03-Jan-22 16:26:59

Thank you for the new thread TerriBull. Looking forward to seeing what people will read this year.
My #1 is Death Comes to Pemberley P D James.
An homage to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice; the story starts six years after the weddings at the end of P and P and we remeet some familiar characters. The prose style is 19th century but being P D James it is also a well crafted murder mystery and police procedural. An interesting hybrid.

BladeAnnie Mon 03-Jan-22 16:33:21

GreyKnitter I love books by Rosamunde Pilcher and read Winter Solstice just before Christmas. I've just started reading one of my Christmas gifts from Mr BA - The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. It's one he heard a review for on Radio 2. Probably something different to what I'd have chosen for myself but so far so good - I'm very much enjoying it

sodapop Mon 03-Jan-22 16:34:22

For a bit of nostalgia I've started re reading some of the Georgette Heyer novels. Frederica at the moment.

25Avalon Mon 03-Jan-22 16:58:15

“Churchill and Orwell The Fight for Freedom” by Thomas E. Ricks. Very thought provoking and giving an insight into how and why both men were against totalitarianism whether of the left or the right and how close we came to defeat in WW11.

Lighter reading is “Strange Affair” by Peter Robinson, a DCI Banks story.