Gransnet forums

Bereavement

New to the forum.

(6 Posts)
Jane0 Mon 04-Jul-22 00:24:01

Hi. This's Jane, 16yo. I lost my dad to covid last year. Life has changed tremendously since then. It's still hard to cope with.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Jul-22 01:10:05

Hello jane.
The site tends to go quiet at this kind of time, but there are lots of people who are dealing or have dealt with the loss of a loved one.

I'm sure any of them will be more than willing to chat with you, if you check back.

It is hard to deal with the loss of a parent, I know, and your loss was recent.

Please accept my condolences.
flowers

BlueBelle Mon 04-Jul-22 03:29:02

That’s tough Jane I hope you have family around to help you

There’s a very good organisation called Winstons Wish who are very supportive of young people who lose a parent
They helped my grandkids when they lost their Daddy

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiM3s3Ll974AhWhS0EAHaxsDeMQFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.winstonswish.org%2F&usg=AOvVaw0d_c3YVHqn4ytQcsTrpRwf

sukie Mon 04-Jul-22 04:05:57

Hello Jane, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. Such a shock for you to lose him to covid. Dealing with the loss of a parent is always hard but especially so at your age. I lost my own dad to cancer one week before my 16th birthday. He'd been ill so it wasn't unexpected but still so difficult. It's been a long time ago but I remember well the tremendous changes his death brought to my life. I imagine you are missing your dad and the way your life was very much. You are wise to have reached out here. The grans that have responded so far are offering quite good advice. Grief counseling can help you to find ways of coping and moving forward. I wish you the best, always.

Whiff Mon 04-Jul-22 05:44:31

Jane I am sorry your dad died. My husband died aged 47 when our daughter was 20 and son 16. This was in 2004. They are 39 and nearly 35. They talked to me and their friends this was in 2004 but they had lived with the knowledge their dad was not going to live 5 years since they where 17 and 13.

You need to get in touch with groups that are available to help young people cope with the death of a parent. They will help you.

What I will say is the same thing I say to all widows/ widowers don't try and be brave if you want to cry ,shout,swear, scream or hit a pillow do it don't hold your feelings in it will only hurt you more. Talk to your dad out loud I promise it helps. I have been doing that for 18 years . I talk to my husband swore,blamed him for leaving us,shouted at him but it has helped me . If you keep things bottled up it will hurt more.

Your grief is different from your mom's. I can't promise it will get easier as you get older but you learn to cope. My husband made me promise to live the best life you can. I am sure that your dad would want that for you.

You are a young woman and have a whole life ahead of you. Grief at your age is not fair but you can learn to cope it just takes time. You will always love your dad and he will always be part of you. I am an atheist what has given me comfort our children and 5 grandson's all carry part of my husband's DNA . That's why I say your dad is part of you.

Find a group of young people coping with the death of a parent you need to be with others your age. As I said your grief is different from your mom's . That's how it should be.

Take care you will learn to cope so give yourself time. Love never dies. ?

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Jul-22 10:46:17

Hello Jane,
I knew someone who met other young people through this charity (below) which has area support services. You might find others there who truly understands.

www.childbereavementuk.org/Pages/Category/child-bereavement-uk-support-services

They found it was comforting (and ultimately was a happy place) to meet up with other young people who had been through the same terrible loss.

Thinking of you.
flowers