Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much to tip cleaner?

(51 Posts)
Mamma66 Thu 08-Dec-22 09:40:12

I have recently started having a cleaner for 2 hours a week. I work full time and realised something had to give as I have health issues and was beginning to struggle. She is through an agency and the cost is £25 for two hours. I am guessing she is on minimum wage or thereabouts. She is divorced, lives alone and works very many hours in what is a physical job, so I think she probably doesn’t have much spare cash. I was planning on giving a card, box of chocolates or similar and a £25 tip as a thank you and Merry Christmas. But never having a cleaner before I have no idea what the going rate is. Does this seem reasonable? TIA

Poppyred Thu 08-Dec-22 09:49:21

That sounds like a lovely gesture.

annsixty Thu 08-Dec-22 09:58:39

I used to double my cleaners charge when I had one so you are doing the same.
She must definitely be on minimum wage as that is a very low price especially through an agency.
My last cleaner charged £17:50 an hour and she was independent.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:12:02

I give mine double their weekly amount, good and reliable cleaners are like gold dust in my area.

(I do give the Christmas Tip in cash as opposed to usual bank transfer)

Mamma66 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:39:19

GrannyGravy13

I give mine double their weekly amount, good and reliable cleaners are like gold dust in my area.

Yes, I was planning on giving it to her in cash so that she definitely got it all 🙂

foxie48 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:44:10

I give my cleaner a double payment and if a Bank holiday is on a Friday (when she works for me) I still pay her. We also pay £17.50 ph and she works 3 hours per week.

BigBertha1 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:46:29

Yes indeed must look after a good cleaner they are rare. My one is fabulous and I can sleep with him too.

labradorlinda33 Thu 08-Dec-22 11:05:20

BigBertha1.... hilarious 😂.. I had to read that twice before the penny dropped...
I've had my cleaner for a long time now. She's marvellous and we get on so well. I used to ask her to come every 2 or 3 weeks but since I had my hip replacement surgery she is coming every week up Christmas.
I usually buy her a present, a bottle of wine and double her pay which is usually £35 for 2 and a half hours.

V3ra Thu 08-Dec-22 11:05:22

BigBertha1 I had to read your comment twice before the penny dropped 😳🤣

Aveline Thu 08-Dec-22 11:06:00

I pay £15 per hour and pay this also during annual leave and illness. That's fair. I had paid holidays and sick pay when I was working.

notgran Thu 08-Dec-22 15:14:46

Our Window Cleaner charges £9 every 2 weeks. He came to-day and said I won't be back until the New Year now. We got the hint and gave him £20. He is very reliable and we would have tipped him anyway. The Post Lady who is lovely doesn't these days always deliver to us but we usually Tip her at Christmas so it will be a bit tricky making sure she gets one from us.

Poppyred Thu 08-Dec-22 16:27:48

BigBertha1

Yes indeed must look after a good cleaner they are rare. My one is fabulous and I can sleep with him too.

Marvellous! What more could you want. Lol 😂

PaperMonster Thu 08-Dec-22 19:51:25

I’d be over the moon with that!

HousePlantQueen Thu 08-Dec-22 19:57:26

BigBertha1

I hope this isn't sexual exploitation or modern slavery? grin

Grammaretto Thu 08-Dec-22 20:25:52

I don't pay a cleaner but I pay a girl to look after the garden for me.
You have reminded me that I ought to give her something extra. Thanks; I shall.

Sara1954 Thu 08-Dec-22 20:36:33

I’ve always had independent cleaners, and have always tried to give them a thoughtful present at Christmas.
But I have agency cleaners at the moment who I never see, and who are quite expensive, there are three of them, so this year it will be three bottles of wine, same for the lads who do the garden.
I usually give the man who delivers logs a box of chocolates.

jaybee66 Sun 11-Dec-22 11:29:14

BigBertha1 - That has made me smile for the rest of the day! Very funny.

Bijou Sun 11-Dec-22 11:30:33

For the past ten years I have had to have daily help. For five years a lovely person who had to leave because her mother died and she had to care for her dad then another lady who does for me and comes for an hour a every morning. I pay £17 an hour and give her a Christmas present, wine and cheque the same on her birthday. The previous persons dad is now in care home so she comes Sundays or deputises for my present person. They are more like friends.

Norah Sun 11-Dec-22 11:33:45

GrannyGravy13

Same.

Cash in card.

Saggi Sun 11-Dec-22 11:34:48

£25 as a Xmas tip
Is very acceptable especially if it’s cash in hand!

morwenna Sun 11-Dec-22 11:40:28

And a paid (cash in hand) week off. That's what I do

morwenna Sun 11-Dec-22 11:41:56

And a paid week off (cash in hand) - that's what I do.

elleks Sun 11-Dec-22 12:00:38

HousePlantQueen

BigBertha1

I hope this isn't sexual exploitation or modern slavery? grin

Reminds me of a story I read where a man was cutting his own lawn. A lady driving by asked what he charged, and he said "well, the lady of the house lets me sleep with her". :D

GrannyZoom Sun 11-Dec-22 12:04:19

BigBerthal.
You made me laugh so much, just wish I still had one.

Humbertbear Sun 11-Dec-22 12:13:45

I give my cleaner an extra week’s pay. We also furloughed her on 75% wages in lockdown. I buy her a small gift when I’ve been away