Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Adjustable ( electric ) beds

(11 Posts)
Dibbydod Tue 06-Dec-22 23:07:47

I’ve been seriously thinking of investing in a adjustable bed as I suffer badly with chronic pain , do any other GN use them or have any opinions on them , all comments would be welcome . Thanks 🙏

Blossoming Wed 07-Dec-22 19:22:30

I have one but to be honest it doesn’t really do that much for me. I find it more comfortable to use pillows for support as required.

Redrobin51 Wed 07-Dec-22 19:46:07

Was hoping for more answers as like you I have been thinking about it for ages but not sure whether they are worth the outlay.

Fernbergien Wed 07-Dec-22 19:55:10

A friend bought a double one. She had not thought through about problems that could arise. Fitted sheets don’t work on them very well. I had guessed that. Not for me.

Blossoming Wed 07-Dec-22 20:36:46

Fernbergien they’re very easy to put fitted sheets on and you don’t need to bend. Fitted sheets are available in different depths for use over mattress toppers, etc. I just raise both ends of the bed, pop the sheet over the top corners, then the bottom corners, then lower both endsagain. The sheet tightens and flattens. Easy peasy smile

Blossoming Wed 07-Dec-22 20:38:44

In terms of comfort it doesn’t give me any great advantage over an ordinary bed and it was very expensive. I wouldn’t bother, with hindsight.

Dibbydod Wed 07-Dec-22 23:43:20

Redrobin51

Was hoping for more answers as like you I have been thinking about it for ages but not sure whether they are worth the outlay.

I’d recently spent couple weeks in hospital, they have adjustable beds , and what I found was that I didn’t experience the awful chronic pain like I do when I’m at home . Sounds good, but looking at the extortionate prices they are I’m having second thoughts . But that said , I just wondered if any GNs have benefited from having one , as I don’t know anyone personally who has one .

Blossoming Thu 08-Dec-22 00:13:29

The hospital beds may have had air mattresses in addition to being adjustable.

Dibbydod Thu 08-Dec-22 04:56:54

Blossoming

The hospital beds may have had air mattresses in addition to being adjustable.

No they just had ordinary waterproof mattresses . They were exceptionally comfortable as well as easing aches & pains .

Nanagem Thu 08-Dec-22 07:48:28

I really honestly can not live without mine, bought it about 5 years ago because my backpain and swollen legs, since then I’ve had to spend the odd night in a normal bed and I’m in so much pain and legs and feet so swollen.

I use fitted sheets, buy extra deep ones, and they’re fine. It’s so lovely to adjust it to watch tv in bed and be pain free, it’s so comfortable my husband bought one even though he’s as fit as a fiddle! You can get them as 2 singles that lock together and work independently to each other.

The only thing I will say is remember they are slightly bigger than a standard bed, and the frame is solid and heavy. In my old home the men struggled to get it up and down the stairs with a bend in, and we’ve now moved to a bungalow and they couldn’t get it into the bedroom I was going to use, just couldn’t get the turn room ( tbh it was a blessing in disguise this room is the better one in hindsight)

JackyB Thu 08-Dec-22 08:30:00

We spent a fortune on one - the demonstration in the shop really sold it to us. They measured us up and came and set it up.

I never use the various functions. I've forgotten what you are supposed to do to relieve back pain and they also showed us how it can help with digestive problems. All I use it for is to raise the top and bottom to make it easier to change fitted sheets.