Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Let's help each other through the winter months

(31 Posts)
Madwoman11 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:14:49

Apparently the weather is going to turn extremely cold this week which can have a huge impact on people's wellbeing, so let's have some suggestions to get through this and come out the other side healthier and looking and feeling better.

I like to do more indoor exercise during winter, so I do You Tube exercise videos and also dance to my favourite music.

I don't do salon beauty treatments but I would be interested to hear your home pampering tips as I do like to look my best.

Also it's essential to make phone calls to friends instead of texting.

❤❤❤

AGAA4 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:32:17

I like to get out for a walk even when it's freezing. It does give you a healthy glow!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:49:47

Just be careful you don’t slip up if you go out for walks, safer to stay indoors.

tanith Mon 05-Dec-22 18:01:04

I also take a walk everyday, even in the snow I have good boots and those things you pull over your shoes in snowy weather. I really miss it if I don’t go.
It’s a nice idea to have a cold weather support thread.

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 18:21:29

I like to use my foot spa and give myself a home pedicure. It’s important to keep your feet in good condition. I also like my soft woolly socks, if my feet feel warm the rest of me doesn’t feel so cold.

Redhead56 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:32:38

Have warming soups and stews comfort food essential when it's cold.

Coolgran65 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:54:19

I have a lightweight fleece throw at my chair which I often just pull over me and it makes all the difference. It's just big enough to go over me and takes up very little space when not in use.

welbeck Mon 05-Dec-22 19:34:24

trying to get by with heating on for about an hour.
after which it was 47F in my room, at 2am, and 44F at 9.30am.
am feeling a bit low. not too bad inside bed, as wearing 3 layers, but dreading weather getting worse.

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 19:54:57

I have an electric hot water bottle. Has a charge lead, takes about 5 minutes to get warm and stays warm for several hours. There are lots of them for sale on Amazon and other places. I think I’d get one if I were you Welbeck as 44°F (6.6°C) is too cold and it’s going to get worse. It won’t cost as much as heating.

M0nica Mon 05-Dec-22 19:58:24

Please do not stint on heat during the cold weather. Power companies are not allowed to cut off vulnerable groups during the winter months, so there is no danger of you being cut off or put on a prepayment meter.

Vulnerable groups include people who are retired, on disability benefits or with children under 5.

Ring your energy company, make sure you are on the 'vulnerable' list. If you think you may have problems with heating billd, contact your energy company before the need arises. Let them know you are struggling.

welbeck, before you turn the heating that low watch this link from the BBC. It shows what happens to your body when you are in a cold room and explains the damage it can do to your health. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501.

Please get in contact with Age UK tomorrow to ask them what help you can get. I am sure that if you are rationing your heat this much, it must be because you are not claiming all the help you are entitled to. There is a film clip within this link that lists all the money available for older people. Are you getting it all?

Do you have hot water bottles and are you using them? Can you get an electric blanket, whch will help to keep your core heat up. What you are doing is very very dangerous and putting your life at risk. Please contact someone to get help.

Grannynannywanny Mon 05-Dec-22 20:14:02

I had been using a cosy fleece throw over me while sitting reading or watching tv. But I felt it made me lazy as I was reluctant to throw it off to go to do something as I knew I was going to be cold again. I recently bought a full length fleecy cheap version of the “oodie” It’s so cosy and comfortable and I’m fully mobile while wearing it round the house. It cost £23 on Amazon and I love it. I’ve attached a photo.

I had my grandchildren and their dog here at the weekend and I came downstairs wearing it with the hood up to give them a laugh. The dog jumped back in horror and barked before he realised it was me 😆

MerylStreep Mon 05-Dec-22 20:20:57

Welbeck
That is a dangerously low temperature to be living in.

volver Mon 05-Dec-22 20:27:27

We had our gas boiler serviced recently and our lovely gas engineer told us that he's servicing boilers all around the place. He turns up at the homes of "older" people and they often answer to door in gloves, woolly hats etc, because they are scared to put on the heating. Its heart-breaking, and he tells them all to stop acting that way, you need to be warm.

We've turned the thermostat down a couple of degrees but that's our only concession. Also, I've got a plug-in throw that heats up. Best thing I ever bought.

Grannynannywanny Mon 05-Dec-22 20:31:03

Good grief welbeck that’s a shockingly low room temperature to be living in. You must be feeling miserable. You could easily slip into hypothermia and not realise.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 20:32:14

welbeck

trying to get by with heating on for about an hour.
after which it was 47F in my room, at 2am, and 44F at 9.30am.
am feeling a bit low. not too bad inside bed, as wearing 3 layers, but dreading weather getting worse.

Oh dear welbeck do you get the age-related heating allowance?
Can you economise in the warmer months so that you can be more warm and comfortable in the winter?

I don't like the heat on in our bedroom but the heat does filter through from the rest of the house.

I'm so used to Centrigrade I'll have to convert that.
Only slightly warmer than outside.

Have you taken advantage of all the initiatives for home insulation, welbeck?

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 20:34:37

www.government-grants.co.uk/home-insulation-grants/free-insulation/

There are various eligible categories but
If you do not fall into this category you are still likely to benefit from Government funding, please enter your details in the Insulation Grant Application Form below.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 05-Dec-22 20:43:11

I like to go out cycling in the cold weather, it makes me feel glowing, stops my back pain. I have all the cold weather gear and I only go on cycle tracks not roads. Also sleep like a log

Patsy70 Mon 05-Dec-22 21:12:09

Keep as active as you possibly can, wear light layers and warm socks and hats, gloves and a scarf when you’re outside. A hot water bottle in bed is a great help. Please do keep warm. Help is there should you need it.

Daisymae Mon 05-Dec-22 21:16:58

I walk every day unless it's actually raining or snowing. I've bought a heat pad in the shape of a hot water bottle. It's brilliant as you just switch it on and away you go, no risks of leaking and it will turn itself off after 90 mins.

AussieGran59 Mon 05-Dec-22 21:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 05-Dec-22 22:00:04

Octopus energy have electric blankets they are giving away to those in need, if that is any help to anyone. Also many towns have hubs where you can go during the day to keep warm and have free hots drinks etc. worth finding out what is available in your area.

SporeRB Mon 05-Dec-22 22:00:09

Welbeck,

Have you consider getting an oil filled radiator to heat just one room. Thre is one available from Dunelm priced at £28 and costs 22p per hour to run.

Here is the link
www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/shopping/dunelm-praised-28-portable-heater-7879826

nadateturbe Mon 05-Dec-22 22:28:42

A friend of mine is just heating her kitchen during the cold months, and spending all her time there.

Kate1949 Mon 05-Dec-22 22:36:12

Our boiler packed up yesterday. Fortunately we got it sorted today but 24 hours without hot water or heating made us wonder how we coped years ago but we did.

nanna8 Mon 05-Dec-22 22:41:05

It’s gone cool again here. One minute it is 30+ degrees, the next minute it is 15 or 16. The cat just fell into the swimming pool and I had to dry her out with a towel. She loved it, spoilt brat, much purring. I won’t be going in the pool until it is much,much warmer than now.