Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Non slip boots for winter

(21 Posts)
Lucca Fri 25-Nov-22 10:25:26

Im suffering post chemo from very weak legs and am worried about when it gets icy on the pavements. Can anyone recommend boots with a good grip (for town )?

Riverwalk Fri 25-Nov-22 10:43:35

Icy pavements are always a bit of a worry at the best of times - I was thinking of getting these Skechers boots, the grip look good. Their trainers have good grip, so these winter boots should fit the bill.

www.skechers.co.uk/women/shoes/keepsakes-wedge---cozy-wraps/167118.html

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 10:46:18

Hotter usually have good tread..

Sparklefizz Fri 25-Nov-22 11:06:38

I bought some of those grippers often advertised in the colour supplements which you can stretch over any boots. They work a treat, but are impossible to wear while driving, so it works well to drive in my boots and then quickly fix these on when I get out of the car.

Jaxjacky Fri 25-Nov-22 11:18:00

Sounds bizarre, looks odd, but very thick socks over boots or shoes grip brilliantly on ice and snow.

25Avalon Fri 25-Nov-22 11:18:39

Lucca, I find it difficult to wear grippers as Sparklefizz recommend. They made me feel off balance. I guess you could get used to them but just a warning.

PaperMonster Fri 25-Nov-22 13:29:59

I have some really good wellies from Decathlon which have really good grip and an insert which you can remove and wash which makes them very warm.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-Nov-22 13:37:48

It doesn't need to be socks. Any fairly strong piece of cloth torn into strips and tied round your boots will work.

I doubt there is such a thing as non-slip boots if pavements are not properly cleared of snow and ice and even when they are cleared, manhole-covers are lethal!

I take a walking stick with me in frosty weather for extra security.

You may feel old, doddery or stupid walking with a stick, but just remind yourself that it looks and feels a heck of a lot better than trying to move with a broken hip, leg or shoulder.

Norah Fri 25-Nov-22 13:49:53

I bought Sketchers Keepsakes 2.0 - Cloud peak @ £51.99 with additional 10% discount. Look to be boots that will be non-slip.

3dognight Fri 25-Nov-22 13:58:59

Most good cobblers can fit winter soles and heels on shoes or boots if you find them slippy to walk in.
Worth a try if the footwear is otherwise comfortable but you aren’t confident in the colder months.

Joseanne Fri 25-Nov-22 14:05:07

Shinamae

Hotter usually have good tread..

Yes, I've just ordered a pair of Hotter boots, 40% off today.
Mine are called Mist and I can honestly say I have never slipped in them on rocks, grassy moorland or pavements. They do look a bit "country" if you get my meaning, but they aren't heavy or clompy.

Lucca Fri 25-Nov-22 14:06:55

grandtanteJE65

It doesn't need to be socks. Any fairly strong piece of cloth torn into strips and tied round your boots will work.

I doubt there is such a thing as non-slip boots if pavements are not properly cleared of snow and ice and even when they are cleared, manhole-covers are lethal!

I take a walking stick with me in frosty weather for extra security.

You may feel old, doddery or stupid walking with a stick, but just remind yourself that it looks and feels a heck of a lot better than trying to move with a broken hip, leg or shoulder.

I don’t mind a stick. I already use one occasionally

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:12:44

These look trippy, Lucca
www.cottontraders.com/products/highland-boots/AQ13275012.html?src=JGO3&fix=1&source=pla&CAWELAID=320012860000023834&CAGPSPN=pla&utm_source=GoogleShoppingUK&country=uk&gclid=CjwKCAiA7IGcBhA8EiwAFfUDsRw_qbZZYQI2NQqQYpxkvc5g4xHJJTXg2X1S4Pw4_C_omwJpIoo00RoCxV0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought a similar pair for DD when she worked in Switzerland.
She never wore them as the pavements were all cleared.
They came in useful as I stomped to work a few times in them afterwards in icy, snowy weather!

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:13:36

Oh, fgs!
Not ^trippy*, that's the last thing you need.

G r i p p y

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:14:42

Yes we bought those grippers that attach to your shoes. Haven’t had icy weather enough to need them since.

That’s the way to go😄

Socks over shoes too, I remember my grandfather used to wear those post war.

I have a pair of timberlake snow boots - very sturdy, waterproof and good in none packed snow.

Lucca Fri 25-Nov-22 14:26:27

None packed snow ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:30:56

You know- snow that is packed down, hard and slippery😄😄

So none packed is really untrodden on snow.

🤣☃️🌨

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:31:40

Pact - bloody-hell

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:32:25

Timberland are very expensive, though; we might not get much snow, if any.

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:34:11

Yes, packed! 😁 ☃️🌨❄

The weather outside is frightful .....

Lathyrus Fri 25-Nov-22 14:49:25

Real walking boots, Berghaus or similar. Not elegant but purposely made to grip in all conditions.