Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice about any regrets re:changing working hrs

(13 Posts)
Ruby28 Thu 24-Nov-22 21:58:32

I am in my fifties and work full time in a stressful profession. I am in a dilemma about work/ life balance. I could afford to leave the profession and/ or look for a part time role and have less disposable income. I have experienced some bereavements over time which has made me re- evaluate things. Has anyone older been in a similar position, what did you decide and did you have any regrets if you left your career?

AussieGran59 Thu 24-Nov-22 22:11:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AussieGran59 Thu 24-Nov-22 22:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nannagarra Thu 24-Nov-22 22:15:37

Go for it as I did without regret.

GagaJo Thu 24-Nov-22 22:16:03

I've done this. I went from highly paid, full-time work, to being self-employed. I did it so I could be my grandson's full-time childcare.

It's still hard work (my own work plus the childcare) but if I hadn't done it I would have regretted it.

I do still have pangs of regret about missing my 'real' work. But I know I made the right choice.

Ruby28 Thu 24-Nov-22 22:16:43

Thank you

dogsmother Thu 24-Nov-22 22:16:57

I retired completely 2 years early.
Not stressed simply had it! Nice enough colleagues, some whom I still see regularly. But no mortgage to pay, OH pays my further contributions. I “work” in a voluntary role a few mornings a week, it’s as and when it suits me and I’m very, very contented.

Doodledog Fri 25-Nov-22 01:50:50

I retired early (57) and have no regrets. I do a bit of work in the same line as before, but on an occasional and part-time basis, so I feel useful and stay up to date with my profession, although quite why I want to I'm not sure grin.

As you say, my disposable income has gone right down, as there was 9 years between leaving work and getting my state pension (I still have 3 to go) and my occupational one is small; but it's surprising how much you save by not working. Commuting, clothes, coffee/lunches etc add up, and not paying them saves a lot.

If you can afford it, I would do it if I were you. I thought I would miss it, but I really haven't.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 25-Nov-22 06:06:05

Just make sure you are still building your Pension Pots.

Taylor2016 Fri 25-Nov-22 08:35:36

Yes! I was driving daily to London senior management position. I got to 58 and thought ….no more. I got a local job, much less pay ,part time ,help with childcare and not regretted my decision for one minute! Do it …….😘

eazybee Fri 25-Nov-22 11:32:26

I would think carefully about your reasons for giving up work. Is it down to stress, dissatisfaction, unsettling bereavements or lack of purpose in what you are doing? I retired at sixty-five on the advice of a friend who had a similar job, took retirement at sixty and regretted it because she missed her job, lacked purpose in her life and found her husband, family and friends were still heavily involved in work. Don't rush into a decision.

silverlining48 Fri 25-Nov-22 11:37:05

Can you reduce your hours at your current job, you don’t seem unhappy. A toe in the water with a 4 day week day may clarify better how you feel. Good luck.

Ruby28 Fri 25-Nov-22 20:25:39

Thank you all for your comments which have given me things to ponder.