Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

State visit

(21 Posts)
Newquay Wed 23-Nov-22 17:49:31

Just seen in today’s press about the state visit. I do hope the Royal Family have paid for all of this in these difficult times!

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 18:02:59

confused

Presumably that is a tongue-in-cheek remark 😂😂😂

It's very funny 😁

Newquay Wed 23-Nov-22 18:04:15

No not at all! Who pays for all these junkets? It certainly shouldn’t come out of the public purse at the mo IMHO!

Blossoming Wed 23-Nov-22 18:08:12

The information is available on YouGov (link below)

www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-and-guest-of-government-visits-march-to-october-2022

Casdon Wed 23-Nov-22 18:16:59

I’m not sure you’ve understood what a state visit is Newquay?
It’s a formal visit by a head of state to a foreign country, at the invitation of the head of state of that foreign country, with the latter also acting as the official host for the duration of the state visit. State visits happen in republics as well.

paddyann54 Wed 23-Nov-22 18:18:17

They've got to keep people sweet ,a wee ride along theMall in a coach must be worth a few million ....of course if it was Quatar it would be more.Ridiculous nonsense .Politics should be kept seperate .

Newquay Thu 24-Nov-22 08:40:29

Can’t download documents about state visits. I understand well state visits.
What I’m asking is, is it appropriate at the moment when SO many folk are really struggling to have this over the top show of wealth? I find it quite offensive.

annsixty Thu 24-Nov-22 09:21:15

‘‘Twas ever thus”

Callistemon21 Thu 24-Nov-22 10:09:43

Casdon

I’m not sure you’ve understood what a state visit is Newquay?
It’s a formal visit by a head of state to a foreign country, at the invitation of the head of state of that foreign country, with the latter also acting as the official host for the duration of the state visit. State visits happen in republics as well.

Thank you Casdon for a sensible and informative post.

Sorry, OP, I thought the idea that our Head of State should fund State visits from other Heads of State out of their own pocket was meant to be a joke.

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 10:47:02

Newquay

Can’t download documents about state visits. I understand well state visits.
What I’m asking is, is it appropriate at the moment when SO many folk are really struggling to have this over the top show of wealth? I find it quite offensive.

Click on ‘View Online’, it’s not a large document.

Namsnanny Thu 24-Nov-22 10:49:38

I wonder if Charles Camilla and President Ramaphosa will be seen wearing matching shirts?

Always a sign of a subject taken seriously, I find.

Presumably, this was scheduled quite a while ago?

Iam64 Thu 24-Nov-22 10:54:36

Thanks Casdon. Outrage from paddyann as ever

Namsnanny Thu 24-Nov-22 11:03:04

😂

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 11:25:56

The most expensive visit so far this year has been the President of Uruguay, 3 nights in May, total cost £48,378.98 paid from FCO funds. All other visits have been 1 night only.

The Emir of Qatar, 1 night in May, cost a total of £4,774.56.

vampirequeen Thu 24-Nov-22 12:52:13

Why does it cost anything? The visitor must come on his/her own plane so that won't cost us anything. Charlie et al have massive houses so plenty of spare bedrooms and if they can't stay at one of their many houses the visitor can always stay at his/her country's embassy. So what's left? Food. MaccyD's is always on the lookout for sponsorship deals. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide Big Macs, ice cream, milkshakes etc. for a bit of advertising. They can all eat out of the boxes and drink from paper cups. No fancy cutlery, table settings etc. Win win situation.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 24-Nov-22 13:15:06

Excellent idea Vampirequeen they could have sponsors who would have their names printed onto the paper tablecloths.

mokryna Thu 24-Nov-22 13:24:04

I would think that some members of the royal family, for certain state, visits would much prefer to be doing something else but they have no choice.

vampirequeen Thu 24-Nov-22 14:38:23

They could abdicate and simple become incredibly wealthy private citizens. Problem solved.

Casdon Thu 24-Nov-22 14:40:54

vampirequeen

They could abdicate and simple become incredibly wealthy private citizens. Problem solved.

Except that of course, it wouldn’t wouldn’t stop the state visits, which is what the thread was about!

Namsnanny Thu 24-Nov-22 18:35:56

vampirequeen

Put that way, I wonder why they don't then?

Callistemon21 Thu 24-Nov-22 20:05:02

vampirequeen

No, because a President will still hold State visits.

I wonder what part of State Visits and Heads of States is difficult to understand?
🤔