Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Just what ARE the rules on Covid?

(9 Posts)
ExDancer Tue 22-Nov-22 12:16:06

A friend who volunteers in a charity shop has tested positive for covid. She is still going to 'work' as she says there are no rules about isolating any more and that we have to use our own discretion about mixing with other people. Apparently even masks aren't mandatory any more if you are infected.
I feel uncomfortable about this, am I scaremongering?

annsixty Tue 22-Nov-22 12:21:47

My D who has a small business currently has 3 members of staff off with Covid.
They are all quite ill.
It is far from being over and I feel we should still isolate as much as we can and certainly stay off work.
The person you pass it on to either at work or just passing in the street may well be very ill if they go down with it.

rosie1959 Tue 22-Nov-22 12:26:33

There are no rules and haven’t been for a while. We are to treat it as any other transmissible illness and use a bit of common sense. It is advised you isolate for 5 days but these are not rules.
Masks haven’t been mandatory for ages

Urmstongran Tue 22-Nov-22 12:26:57

I suppose it’s now down to common sense. If you’re not well, you stay home in the warm, take paracetamol and extra fluids so you don’t spread the infection. When you feel better you go back to work.

There’s a nasty RSV (respiratory virus) doing the rounds at present. Our daughter in Yorkshire had it last week and was wiped out by it. She was off work for several days. It wasn’t Covid. Others I know who have had similar said they felt more poorly with this than when they had Covid.

GreyKnitter Tue 22-Nov-22 12:31:32

No COVID rules anymore. Just be sensible. Like when you have flu etc.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Nov-22 12:33:48

The chair of governors at our local secondary school says providing the child doesn’t feel overly ill, they are expected to attend classes, even if they test positive.

Septimia Tue 22-Nov-22 12:34:50

I know several people who have had Covid recently. They've all felt pretty unwell and have avoided mixing with other people. You wouldn't go out and about spreading flu, so why would you mix with others if you have Covid? It's just common sense.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Nov-22 12:34:54

Apparently Department of Education guidance, re my previous post.

nexus63 Tue 22-Nov-22 12:42:47

the nhs say you should isolate for 5-10 days depending on how you are feeling and if you have a high temp.

we are still having deaths from covid in the uk

The number of deaths involving COVID-19 in the UK fell from 708 to 583 in the latest week (ending 11 November 2022).

Deaths involving COVID-19 accounted for 4.4% of all deaths in the UK in the latest week; this is a fall from 5.3% in the previous week.

it has become normal so they don't report on it anymore, i got this info from the census 2021 page using google.