Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I prove this?

(44 Posts)
hybrid1000 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:06:12

My 6 year old Autistic Grandson told his Teacher, Headmistress, and MAST Worker that his Mum and other Grandma were hitting him and shouting at him all the time, and that he wanted to come and live with me, his Mum and other Grandma denied it, saying that he was lying, I backed him up and told MAST he wasn't lying because I have seen them hitting him on many occasions, they told me that they knew about the Abuse and were investigating it, but didn't have enough proof to be able to take any action yet, they asked if I had proof, I told them that I had Video Recorded it on my Phone, but they said that they couldn't use that evidence because Mum and other Grandma didn't know I was recording them, now I have been banned from seeing my Grandson for making "False Allegations", but they are not False Allegations, how can I prove that both me and my Grandson are telling the truth when they won't accept the proof that I have? How do I get proof?

maddyone Wed 16-Nov-22 17:37:22

Perhaps approach Social Services.

Greenfinch Wed 16-Nov-22 17:52:10

You should not need proof. It is unusual for a child on the autistic spectrum to lie especially one so young. He should be believed by the authorities if he is sufficiently able to communicate.

hybrid1000 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:53:31

maddyone, I already tried that, they told them what I had said, asked them if it was true, they denied it, then Social Services rang me and told me that having investigated my allegations they were satisfied that my Grandson is safe with his Mum and Grandma, and the case is now closed.

hybrid1000 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:59:28

Greenfinch, Yes he does communicate well, he has tried telling lies before, but he always gives himself away by grinning and laughing, he has never managed to successfully tell a lie.

eazybee Wed 16-Nov-22 18:05:44

Keep all your evidence and put it all in writing so a copy will be in his file. Sounds like Social Services are maintaining the family bond at the expense of the child's relationship with you. If your grandson told his school it is likely they are watching him but I doubt if they will be able to discuss it with you.

hybrid1000 Wed 16-Nov-22 18:16:08

eazybee I do know that MAST were going to see him once a month at School, (I don't know if they still are though), so it does sound like they are/were keeping an eye on him, which is good, I have kept the evidence even though they said they can't use it. I just hope that they will eventually see the truth and let me see him again.

maddyone Wed 16-Nov-22 18:37:59

Oh I’m sorry hybrid, I didn’t realise. It was the only thing I could think of. I hope nothing happens to your grandson, but if it does, everyone will ask why you weren’t listened to. I’m so sorry flowers

ShazzaKanazza Wed 16-Nov-22 19:04:34

This must be heartbreaking for you. My grandson is 7 and is severely autistic and mostly non verbal and if this was happening to him it would kill me I think. I would keep your evidence and hopefully they will let you see him. He obviously feels safe with you poor love. I can’t give you advice as such but I’m on your side and thinking of you 💐

ShazzaKanazza Wed 16-Nov-22 19:09:43

I just told this to DH and he said I’d take it to the police. A few years ago my grandsons mum left him in the care for a couples of hours of a trusted friend of hers and she came back unexpectedly and caught him hitting him. She reported him to the police after beating him up first and they had a chat with him and that was all. It never went any further. It’s so hard!

hybrid1000 Wed 16-Nov-22 19:22:05

maddyone Thank you.

ShazKanazza Thank you, he has always felt safe with me because he knows how much I love him, and he loves me just as much, this will be just as upsetting for him as it is for me.

Wyllow3 Wed 16-Nov-22 19:54:36

" but they said that they couldn't use that evidence because Mum and other Grandma didn't know I was recording them"

If it were a police matter they would review it as evidence. I know this because I got an arrest on the basis of

I sound recorded abuse on my mobile and it was considered evidence of abuse against me
I also used screen shots of texts etc to same end.

Having said that, my guess - do disagree anyone - it must depend on how serious the hitting was you can see on the video? So do hang onto it and any other evidence.

I so hope you can see him soon and enjoy each other again and that maybe mum has been "warned off".

welbeck Wed 16-Nov-22 21:22:13

where is his father ?

Redhead56 Wed 16-Nov-22 21:55:57

The fact that a mother and grandmother are saying a child of 6 who is Autistic is lying is a disgrace.

What parent in their right mind would call a child a liar. I would inform the school that you intend to contact Social Services.

This should prompt them to more positive action rather than expecting proof from you.

25Avalon Wed 16-Nov-22 21:57:55

Have you reported this to the NSPCC? You can talk to them on the slightest suspicion of child abuse and they will give you advice as to what action can be taken. Their number is 0800 800 5000.

I am child welfare officer for a football club and the advice we are given is to report any safeguarding concern. Better safe than sorry. NSPCC have power to take action.

hybrid1000 Thu 17-Nov-22 08:31:35

welbeck His Father only has Supervised Access twice a week, but unfortunately he believes the Mum and other Grandma, apparently the other Grandma has told him that she "only hit him once and has regretted it ever since", but that is a lie, I have personally seen her hit my Grandson many times, and several other people have told me that they have seen her threatening to hit him, and dragging him out of Shops kicking and screaming.

hybrid1000 Thu 17-Nov-22 08:41:04

Wyllow3 That's very interesting, You said the Police used your evidence when you Sound Recorded it, maybe that's the difference, maybe they can use Sound recordings but not Video recordings, perhaps if I could convert the Video Recordings into Sound Recordings then they could use them.

I'm not very good with Technology so I would have to research how to do that, but that's certainly an idea. Thank you.

Franbern Thu 17-Nov-22 09:00:13

Whereas, I know it is proper policy to 'believe the child', I would also be a little cautious about some of the reports here.

Being seen 'dragging him kicking and screaming out of shops', is sadly so much part of the course for carers of autistic youngsters. Often shops with their crowds and lights, etc can really set up such an episode for someone who is autistic who just cannot deal with it all.

Many years ago, my Son in Law was reported for dragging his son kicking and screaming from the car and into the house. Yes, he did - very autistic son and he could notbe left in the car which was parked in the road, and needed to be got into the house for his own safety.

Equally, I know on an autistic child on whose back a nasty carpet burn was seen by a teacher and reported. Child said 'Daddy did it' - authorities all involved. Fortunate for poor parents there had been othr witnesses. Child was having a tantrum on landing at top of stairs, Dad reached down to pick her up to take her to comparative safety of her bedroom, and she pulled away from him so sharply he lost his hold and she fell down a couple of the stairs before he could grab her again.

It does seem as if the g.son of the OP is being watched and monitored by appropriate authorities. Sadly children do lie, sometimes deliberately, often just giving a version they feel will suit them best.

hybrid1000 Thu 17-Nov-22 11:10:44

Franbern I understand that, yes, "children do lie", but,

(1) I have personally witnessed him being hit many times,

(2) I have even managed to Video Record some of these instances,

(3) I have Video Footage of his Mum saying that she "had to drag him kicking and screaming out of a Shop because he wanted something and she didn't want to buy it for him", as well as having been told by other people that they witnessed this, and these occasions were NOT because he was having a Meltdown due to Sensory overstimulation, though he does sometimes have those as well, but I have been in the same situation when I have been out Shopping with him, and I simply explained to him the reason why I wouldn't buy the item for him, and he has accepted that explanation and quite happily left the Shop without having to be dragged out,

(4) There have been Scientific Studies done that prove that although ALL Children lie, "Autistic Children are incapable of lying Repeatedly and Consistently" and he has been saying the same thing "Repeatedly and Consistently" for over a year now.

Sorry, but I KNOW that he isn't lying.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Nov-22 11:22:42

I’m assuming you’re the paternal grandmother.

Really the child’s father is the one who has to take this forward. To apply to the courts for joint custody, if he has not already got it.

If he has then he can express concern and ask for an investigation into family circumstances.

As a parent he has sues that you, as a grandmother, do not have.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Nov-22 11:23:10

As a parent he has avenues.

hybrid1000 Thu 17-Nov-22 11:32:40

Lathyrus Yes, i am the Paternal Grandma, unfortunately my Son only has Supervised Access twice a week, and firmly believes that his Son is lying and his ex Partner is telling the truth, I have tried telling him that it is the other way round, and have even offered to show him the proof, but he won't watch the Videos, and refuses to believe me.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Nov-22 11:43:39

Oh dear. If it’s supervised access, presumably there have been some quite serious issues in the past and the mother has full custody?

hybrid1000 Thu 17-Nov-22 11:46:20

Lathyrus Yes, unfortunately that is the case.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Nov-22 11:55:17

I’m really sorry to say this but if you are no longer seeing him and your son won’t act, I’m can’t see how you can get further proof.

With the “false allegations” recorded now anything further you do will now be regarded with a degree of suspicion as to your motives.

You do realise that if Social Services were to remove him from his present circumstances, it is very unlikely they would place him with you? It’s a rock and a hard place. His current situation or in care.