Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shoe stretchers

(7 Posts)
Aveline Tue 15-Nov-22 09:54:07

Do they work? I'm fed up. I have two pairs of good boots. In one pair the left boot hurts my foot and in the other pair the right boot hurts my right foot. Id wear the 'good' one of each except one pair is black and the other green.
Would shoe stretchers help? It must just be small differences in the stitching or manufacture that causes the problems. If both were wider that would help. Any ideas?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Nov-22 10:01:59

Have you a good shoe menders nearby, ours will stretch shoes/boots for you.

He is an absolute miracle find as he also takes in baggy boots for those of us with skinny legs, a real craftsman.

shysal Tue 15-Nov-22 12:08:00

I have one bunion and often use a shoe stretcher for that shoe. This is the type I have, with added 'bumps' for the chosen spot(s). I have even been known to tape an AA battery to the stretcher at a tight spot. You would need an angled one for boots like the second picture.
The results work for me (I leave for a day or two), but there could be a danger of splitting the leather if you overdo it!
Good luck!

NotAGran55 Tue 15-Nov-22 12:17:15

Leather stretching spray really does work on shoes.
When I read about it I didn’t believe it - but it is true.

I have one foot wider than the other and always have to treat the tight one.

Collonil make a good one and Timpson’s own brand works too.

Aveline Tue 15-Nov-22 12:32:20

That's very helpful. I see there are shoe stretchers on Amazon. Will invest.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Nov-22 13:14:28

I read somewhere, after buying stretcher similar to those in shysal's picture, that spraying with leather stretcher then wearing the boots or shoes with very thick socks works.

Aveline Tue 15-Nov-22 13:35:00

Thanks