Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need a rant

(28 Posts)
Nana56 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:34:36

I have invited my DD and my DS and family for Sunday lunch.
My Dd told me she will come with her children but her husband may not.
He tends to avoid us even nit coming to the door to help DD unload prams etc.
He used to stay when they lived away.
I feel we must have upset him but have no idea why.
I dont want to ask DD as she us very family orientated and I'm sure they will have discussed this and I don't want to cause upset.
I just think it's really offensive and rude. I know Dd will be upset, she's made excuses for him in the past.
Thanks for reading

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 16:39:32

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your post.
I thought that your daughter had already decided to come to you, without her husband.
That’s what you say at the beginning of your post.
Perhaps use words instead of initials

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 16:40:25

No. I’ve read it 5 times now, and I don’t understand

Blossoming Sat 12-Nov-22 16:48:41

I think you need to ask your daughter if he is avoiding you and if so, why. I agree it’s not a comfortable subject to raise over a family lunch, perhaps you could phone her..

Nana56 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:51:05

Oops. Daughter is coming but without her husband.
He used to come with her but over the last few years he's not.
Don't know why and reluctant to ask daughter as don't want to cause upset

crazyH Sat 12-Nov-22 16:56:56

He is probably glad to have a couple of hours to himself.. Don’t ask your daughter. It may cause some upset

Luckygirl3 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:57:51

I would just enjoy having your DD and the GC with you and let the rest wash by you. It is probably uncomfortable for her so I would not make it more so by asking her to complain.

One of my SILs often ducks out of family meals - I don't think it is any big deal - he just does not do family events very much. Not his scene. He can usually find some DIY that needs doing instead!

Luckygirl3 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:58:30

explain - not complain!!

Patsy70 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:58:48

I think I understand it. Nana56 has invited her daughter and son for Sunday lunch. Her daughter is coming with her children, but her husband may not, as he seems to avoid Nana56 and her husband, for a reason they’re not aware of. She doesn’t want to ask her daughter why he avoids them, as this might upset her.

I would just ask her Nana56, then hopefully the situation can be resolved.

Wyllow3 Sat 12-Nov-22 17:04:40

It is upsetting, but I'd not confront DD with it, I'd say it would be most likely to come out when she's relaxed and ready to confide...have a lovely time with them Nana56

...after all there are some nice things having your DD to yourself too

....and don't assume its something you've done, many mysterious things happen in in law situations, best not to second guess xx

Theexwife Sat 12-Nov-22 17:35:51

I would not say anything. For whatever reason, he does not want to come. It could cause unpleasantness if you ask your daughter.

I am not a very sociable person, some family members accept that and do not invite me to events. Others really annoy me when I decline an invitation and they insist on a good reason as to why I don't want to attend.

VioletSky Sat 12-Nov-22 17:42:20

There are so many reasons this could be happening and most of them may not be to do with you at all...

It's disappointing but try not to worry you have done anything wrong

Kamiso Sat 12-Nov-22 17:45:46

One of our son in laws was an only child and really enjoys family gatherings. The other is also an only child and almost always comes up with an excuse. My daughter sometimes looks a bit sad when her siblings are with their partners but no point in stirring things up.

HeavenLeigh Sat 12-Nov-22 17:46:45

Some people just don’t want to do certain things so they stay away. I wouldn’t go into the whys and wherefores, I wouldn’t even take it personally either, sometimes I don’t want to go places, I don’t actually think it’s offensive or rude! Maybe he just likes a bit of time to himself, there could be several reasons that he doesn’t want to go, and maybe it’s not personal to you at all, nothing worse than being told well maybe you should go it could look bad if he really doesn’t want to go

Kamiso Sat 12-Nov-22 17:48:22

Apparently younger son in law isn’t keen on family gatherings and could never understand why DD looked forward to seeing everyone. He has a perfect excuse now as they are renovating their house. It’s actual more relaxing when he declines!

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Nov-22 17:55:54

My sons in law are often "busy" with something it seems - but actually I know it's nice to feel you can "duck out of things" if you want to so I'm happy that they do show that they care in other ways.

My middle daughter and child came over today for a simple lunch and short visit. Her husband stayed at home. He was apparently "fixing things". It's likely that he was fixing things (the back gate, the front door lock and some shflves in the garage are things i know are on the list) and it's easier to do D.I.Y jobs when you haven't got children "helping". Their daughter (age 3) loves to help and needs to talk through whatever she's helping with! 😂

Try not to read too much into it.

If you are sure It's a problem I'd pick my time and say something like "I've really missed seeing x over the last few months - I do hope he's OK and not having a stressful time at work? " or I've maybe upset him accidentally" - or similar.
Stress is exhausting. He may just be wrung out? Life can be rough.

💐

Hithere Sat 12-Nov-22 18:12:04

OP

Please do not mention it to your dd

Her husband is not rude at all - an invitation is not summons

He may have plans for something else, other item more urgent, etc

It doesn't mean at all you have done something to offend him

Enjoy your time with your dd and gc!

Hithere Sat 12-Nov-22 18:23:53

OP

You also ranted about this same issue last July 2021

Why not accept the situation

You seem to have a good relationship with your dd - why isnt that enough?

SuzieHi Sat 12-Nov-22 19:11:05

A lot of us were brought up to have “happy family time all together”, so I understand your feeling upset. Just keep offering invitations to include all of them. Don’t show you’re upset or say anything if SIL dips out - it is upto him. His loss I’d say. Enjoy time with DD and children. You could casually ask what is sil doing today? Having a break? Doing Jobs? Going for a run? Maybe daughter expects some “me “ time too, away from children & family? Seems quite common nowadays- time on with the children /time off!??

tickingbird Sat 12-Nov-22 19:40:14

I always find it really strange when people don’t ask about things. In my opinion it’s rather rude. If I suddenly stopped going to my in laws when I was married I’d expect them to notice and ask why? It’s only natural to ask if you’ve upset someone. It doesn’t have to cause any unpleasantness. How will you ever know if you don’t ask?

sodapop Sat 12-Nov-22 19:48:06

I agree with tickingbird it's obviously causing you some concern Nana56 so talk to your daughter. No need to be confrontational just say you miss seeing your son in law and hope nothing has upset him. It may be the case as others have said that he prefers some time to himself. Nothing wrong with that we are not all social animals.

Luckygirl3 Sat 12-Nov-22 22:52:26

He is a grown adult - he can make choices. I would not feel it is my place to interfere with those. Would you rather he came as a duty and was visibly not enjoying himself? Please enjoy the presence of your DD and GC.

nadateturbe Sat 12-Nov-22 22:56:26

I wouldn't mention it. My husband would cheerfully avoid all family gatherings. Some people aren't very sociable. I'm sure he doesn't mean to be rude.

Catterygirl Sun 13-Nov-22 00:39:24

Our son’s girlfriend has recently lost her mum abroad. She struggles to spend Christmas with us as she feels guilty enjoying herself. I understand.

LovelyCuppa Sun 13-Nov-22 05:54:53

Sometimes you just don’t click with people and their company is hard work. I doubt you’v e done anything particular, just are different people and he’d prefer to spend his time elsewhere.