Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sending gifts abroad (Spain)

(13 Posts)
Mazgg Fri 11-Nov-22 11:20:27

I will not see my daughter before Christmas this year and would like to send gifts for her, my son in law and adult Grandsons. I have in the past sent directly from M & S Spain but cannot see anything suitable this year.
I believe that if posting from the UK I would need her ID number. Can anyone help with stores in this country who would deliver to Spain?
TIA

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 11-Nov-22 11:27:52

It's much more tricky since Brexit to send to Spain, Mazgg, and the recipient may have to pay tax on arrival.

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 11:36:52

Yes, it is a total nightmare since Brexit- and it could cost your daughter a lot of money to receive parcel. Much better to send money at the moment.

JackyB Fri 11-Nov-22 12:03:28

In these cases it is easier to order from a local for and have the goods shipped withi the country. Is there an amazon.es?

Cfaz49 Fri 11-Nov-22 12:07:51

I think that she will have to pay VAT at 20% on anything received. I have sent a couple of parcels to Spain and despite having the correct paperwork they were held up for weeks at customs!
Better to order from a Spanish online store.

JackyB Fri 11-Nov-22 12:08:03

These damn adverts. I aimed for the end of the paragraph and inadvertently posted that last bit before I had finished.

I was going to say that if you wanted to give her something typically British, you can then do that when you see her.

Not only is the customs a faff and probably causes delays, but I am shocked by the cost of postage in the UK these days. It's much more than here in Germany. My sister has sent gifts to my grandchildren but she says the postage is often more than the value of the contents.

giulia Fri 11-Nov-22 12:08:16

How about British Corner Shop (but for food stuff). There are no Customs problems as based in Holland.

I live in Italy and use them periodically for all those nostalic yummies we miss when abroad.

They are extremely efficient and their delivery boxes say "With love from England!", which is sweet.

Redhead56 Fri 11-Nov-22 12:26:13

Sending gifts here is expensive enough now I would be sending something via Amazon if possible abroad.

sodapop Fri 11-Nov-22 12:29:34

Yes be careful what you send Mazgg the recipient may have to pay duty. My daughter sent me a small gift and I had to pay 15 euros before La Poste would release it.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Nov-22 13:05:24

I too would suggest you find a Spanish store to order from giving your daughter's name and address.

Most Spanish online stores seem only able to accept PayPal though.

crazyH Sat 12-Nov-22 13:09:06

I posted a King Charles commemorative mug to my sis-in law in Canada. The mug cost £10 - the postage costs £15 😫

halfpint1 Sat 12-Nov-22 13:17:11

Same here had to pay tax on a small item, haven't ordered anything from Britain since.

vegansrock Sat 12-Nov-22 13:17:47

You could send via companies in NI or the ROI which are in the single market. Or Amazon eu.