Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Free 1940s knitting patterns to download

(22 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 12-Oct-22 08:20:10

I was on Pinterest wishing I could knit when I spotted that the V & A have free knitting patterns to download. Including this lovely jumper.

Link is
Www.vam.ac.UK./content/articles/0-9/1940s-knitting-patterns/

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 12-Oct-22 08:22:06

Ok I’ve just tried the link this morning and it’s not working, if anyone is interested it’s available via Pinterest.

Under

Free 1940s knitting patterns V and A

What a nuisance..

Oldnproud Wed 12-Oct-22 08:35:17

Thank you - I've just had a quick look and have already seen a few patterns that I'm tempted by ... grin

Petera Wed 12-Oct-22 08:42:59

Oopsadaisy1

Ok I’ve just tried the link this morning and it’s not working, if anyone is interested it’s available via Pinterest.

Under

What a nuisance..

remove the dot between "U" and "K"

Petera Wed 12-Oct-22 08:46:03

Petera

Oopsadaisy1

Under

What a nuisance..

remove the dot between "U" and "K"

www.vam.ac.uk/articles/1940s-knitting-patterns

annodomini Wed 12-Oct-22 09:23:14

Those pictures bring back memories! I'm trying to imagine knitting pants and vest with 2-ply yarn...and wearing them!

Witzend Wed 12-Oct-22 11:40:49

My mother used to have a (presumably) WW2 knitting pattern book, all B&W, with patterns for children’s vests, long johns, etc., and a lovely little baby’s cardigan/matinee jacket - very plain and sweet - why are so many babies’ patterns so blinking fussy??

Plus a pattern for ‘sea boot socks’ - she must have knitted several for my father (RN during WW2), long, and very thick grey wool.
We used them as Christmas stockings until they wore out, but a sister said recently that she still has (a very holey!) one.

Grannynannywanny Wed 12-Oct-22 12:00:18

Did anyone have a knitted siren suit as a child? Maybe a granny size one would be cozy for the coming winter months. Then again maybe not as it would probably take 15 mins to get out of it when timing might be crucial ?

Callistemon21 Wed 12-Oct-22 12:47:47

Does anyone remember knitted swimsuits? I have a photo of me wearing one, aged about six.
Somewhere in my inherited patterns is one for a knitted swimming costume for women

Witzend Mum knitted me a pram blanket from a pair of Dad's new sea boot socks, lovely thick cream warm wool. I hope my father didn't end up with cold feet in the Arctic. ?

Grannynannywanny Wed 12-Oct-22 12:57:28

Callistemon21 I vaguely remember my younger brother had knitted trunks and they were inclined to become waterlogged then slip down when climbed out of the pool ?

KellyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Oct-22 13:38:46

We've edited the link in the opening post so it should work now smile

Blossoming Wed 12-Oct-22 14:05:00

It needs the dot after UK removing as well.

karmalady Wed 12-Oct-22 14:12:39

Thank you oops. I have downloaded and saved the two short sleeved jumpers

Esmay Wed 12-Oct-22 14:42:27

Try googling subversive femme -lots of free vintage patterns , which I love .

Juliet27 Wed 12-Oct-22 14:48:28

I remember my mum telling me she once knitted swimming trunks for my dad. They took on so much water that they stretched and he stayed in the sea until the beach emptied. He embarrassed easily at the best of times, my dear old dad.

Witzend Wed 12-Oct-22 14:51:48

Callistemon21

Does anyone remember knitted swimsuits? I have a photo of me wearing one, aged about six.
Somewhere in my inherited patterns is one for a knitted swimming costume for women

Witzend Mum knitted me a pram blanket from a pair of Dad's new sea boot socks, lovely thick cream warm wool. I hope my father didn't end up with cold feet in the Arctic. ?

At one point my father had knitted swimming trunks! They were very tightly knitted in dark red though and mercifully didn’t sag when wet.
I had a horrible ruched thing, sort of green and brown, that did sag when wet. I dare say it was bought (or made) big, ‘to grow into’. Or more likely a cast off from elder sister or (considerably plumper) cousins, like the vast majority of my things. ?

Callistemon21 Wed 12-Oct-22 20:27:35

Oh yes, they were awful too!

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 12-Oct-22 20:32:52

Thanks everyone for pointing out my error and to GN for fixing it!
I should have checked.

lixy Wed 12-Oct-22 20:40:48

What a great find! Thank you.

pinkprincess Wed 12-Oct-22 21:21:43

I had a teddy bear as a very young child which my grandmother knitted for me with wool which she "pulled out of a jumper". It was coloured green and known as Green Teddy
Green Teddy was passed down among all my younger siblings but sadly I cannot remember his eventual fate.

Mogsmaw Wed 12-Oct-22 21:31:16

Not knitted, but I’m contemplating sewing swimsuit. ! Not sure I’ll ever ware it in public, the world is not ready.

Esmay Thu 13-Oct-22 09:08:16

I have memories of my mother , who was a superb knitter making me a beautiful swimsuit .
It was beautiful until
I went into the sea then the whole thing
ended up around my knees !
I was mortified .