Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Halloween ideas?

(81 Posts)
Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 14:36:42

I've made around 24 of these.
A teeny weeny bit fiddly but when in the zone, quite satisfying.
They're around 2 1/2 inches, so not huge.

I have a few ideas how to utilise them.
But wondered if someone else had any ideas too?

Maya1 Thu 06-Oct-22 14:45:06

Oh Namsnanny they are lovely. You are so talented. I cannot do anything craft wise and am really envious of anyone so clever.
I end up ordering bits and pieces from Etsy. Presently waiting for handmade autumn leaves with tiny lights to come.
Maybe twinkly lights with some in a bowl??

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 14:49:36

Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of!
Well done, I have a gold fish style glass bowl, mixed with some fairy lights in the window might look quite atmospheric.
Thanks so muchsmile

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 14:52:03

Love Etsy too Mayal

AreWeThereYet Thu 06-Oct-22 15:16:19

I would make a door wreath with them probably, with lots of autumn leaves.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 15:24:35

I have a glue gun AreWeThereYet and a bare twiggy wreath, so that is a good idea.
I could buy fake leaves or look for a knitting pattern for leaves.
Worth doing I think
Thanks smile
BTW I've always loved your GN name, brings back memories grin

Mapleleaf Thu 06-Oct-22 15:34:45

You could hang some from a painted twig, interspersed with some of that cotton thread stuff that looks like cobwebs and maybe a pretend spider or two if you don’t have arachnophobia.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 16:00:13

I can imagine that would look brilliant in a window Mapleleaf again with some twinkly lights through it.
Thanks smile?

Witzend Thu 06-Oct-22 16:08:06

They’re lovely - they’d make a brilliant wreath!

In case you’d like one, this wreath pattern (knitted) is quite quick and easy - I’ve used the basic wreath for my own Christmas and Halloween ideas. (Not keen on those added bits!). It’s made with double DK on nice fat needles.

www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/p/christmas-wreath-knitting-pattern-by-phoenixknits

Yammy Thu 06-Oct-22 16:12:10

Crochet a string and make a swag from them.I saw them on an American site hanging at different heights I bit like we would bells at christmas. Ir some were piled up with a knitted mouse.in a basket.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 16:21:32

Funnily I've sent for a pattern of a hedgehog and a mouse Yammy.
I think a mouse scampering through a pile of pumpkins would be gorgeous!
I wonder if I could make one pumpkin look as if it had been partially chewed by him?
Dont know but it's worth a try
Thank you?smile

Beechnut Thu 06-Oct-22 16:25:51

These are great Namsnanny, and I like all the ideas too.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 16:27:06

Thanks witzend for the pattern link, and the appreciation.
Especially as I know how accomplished a knitter you are ?(why are there no knitting needles emoji? I see there is one for sword fencing?)

AreWeThereYet Thu 06-Oct-22 16:30:20

NamsNanny Brings back a few memories for me too - not always good ones grin

I saw a wreath on a door this morning which is what made me think of it - it was just beautiful autumn leaves. Whether they were fake or real I've no idea, we whizzed past in the car before I had a chance to investigate grin

Namsnanny Thu 06-Oct-22 18:29:10

Thanks beechnut they turned out better than even I imagined they would.
Yes, so many good ideas, I'm hard pressed to settle on one now, I want to do all of them!

Witzend Mon 10-Oct-22 11:36:03

What I did once for a Halloween wreath for Gdcs, was make a big black spider (IIRC I found pattern on Lovecrafts) for the middle, and then attached him via a ‘web’ made from silvery yarn. Worked quite well - legs were made from pipe cleaners, supposedly covered with some technique I couldn’t get the hang of at all (can’t remember what it’s called but too fiddly for me) so just knitted long strips instead, i.e. cast on a lot, one row, cast off.

Fleurpepper Mon 10-Oct-22 12:04:46

Enjoy it.

But I must say, that is the one celebration in the year I just can't stand. Commercial and straight out of the USA. Hate it. The waste of all those costumes and decorations is massive- and most into landfill. Sad.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 10-Oct-22 13:00:26

Namsnanny, where did you find the pattern for your pumpkin, please?
And Fleurpepper, I don't do Halloween either- I just do autumn .

Grandmabatty Mon 10-Oct-22 13:43:00

Celebrating Halloween has been around in Scotland for a very long time. It isn't an import from USA and it isn't sad. Dressing up is known as 'guising'. I think your decorations look fantastic.

Humduh Mon 10-Oct-22 15:30:30

I have done the circle for the wreath, will add bits

AreWeThereYet Mon 10-Oct-22 16:16:54

Please put a pic on when you've finished it. Are you putting a mouse on with the pumpkins? It's almost like a harvest wreath. Then a big spider hanging off would make it Halloween too grin

Yammy Mon 10-Oct-22 16:27:20

Namsnanny

Funnily I've sent for a pattern of a hedgehog and a mouse Yammy.
I think a mouse scampering through a pile of pumpkins would be gorgeous!
I wonder if I could make one pumpkin look as if it had been partially chewed by him?
Dont know but it's worth a try
Thank you?smile

I think your work is lovely and so skillfully. To make a hole how about a few lines in different coloured wool. Or a cast-on-and-off hole with some kapock poking through.
I often have ideas but not the skill to carry them through. Show us a picture of what you do will you please?
The Scots took Halloween to the USA they just took it too far and commercialized its usual.

Witzend Mon 10-Oct-22 18:26:06

Fleurpepper

Enjoy it.

But I must say, that is the one celebration in the year I just can't stand. Commercial and straight out of the USA. Hate it. The waste of all those costumes and decorations is massive- and most into landfill. Sad.

They’re not all wasted - dd has always got Gdcs’ from charity shops and passes any outgrown ones on. It’s normal among her circle. And any decorations - plastic tat or not - are used again each year.

Fleurpepper Mon 10-Oct-22 18:42:04

Great Witzend and bravo.

Sadly not the case for most people.

Esmay Mon 10-Oct-22 19:32:25

I've planted a beautiful Physalis and bought some little pumpkins to put on the doorstep .

There's a huge climber outside - a hydrangea petiolaris .
I decorate it at Christmas with huge baubles , at Easter with eggs in pastels and for Hallowe'en with giant bows .
Sometimes purple and /or black .
This year it's some incredibly beautiful deep orange printed wired ribbon from the wholesalers , which a florist friend uses .

It's an incredibly simple idea , but I think that it has impact .