Gransnet forums

AIBU

XL Bully yet again…….is there a robust solution?

(19 Posts)
Sago Sun 11-Feb-24 15:54:41

A young boy has been mauled but thankfully survived in Merseyside yesterday.

These dogs and other breeds and crossbreeds need regulating properly, I believe the laws for these dogs should be similar to gun laws and the controls as stringent.

Anyone with a firearms license can be spot checked at anytime by the Police, any breach and the guns are seized.

How many more cases are there going to be?

If an other in America can be imprisoned for 60 years for gifting her son a gun then should the owners and breeders of these dogs be liable for such sentences?

BlueBelle Sun 11-Feb-24 16:03:39

There is a lot of posts already about this Saga on the thread entitle ‘Another person is mauled to death’ I started it about the poor grandmother that was killed but there are additional post about this poor child

Jaxjacky Sun 11-Feb-24 16:04:36

Here
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1332366-Another-person-is-mauled-to-death

argymargy Sun 11-Feb-24 17:13:46

We don't live in America - for which I think God every single day.

Iam64 Sun 11-Feb-24 17:30:41

No point comparing the uk with the USA. We speak the same language but not culture. We don’t have the right to bare arms or desire to do so. We don’t have the death penalty. A 60 year sentence for the mother of that child? what possible good does that achieve
The owner of a dangerously out of control dog that bites a person faces prison. The owner of a dog that kills faces a manslaughter charge

We need a better educated society where people take more responsibility

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Feb-24 17:46:20

America dishes out consecutive life sentences. I think our judicial system is somewhat superior - and we don’t appoint our judges on the basis of their political preference. Of course the owners of these dogs should be prosecuted if they fail to comply with the law or their dog is dangerously out of control, but I hope we never impose American-style sentences.

Witzend Mon 12-Feb-24 12:12:45

I’m a lifelong dog lover, but it does seem that having them all PTS is now the only option. Too many of the owners will simply ignore any other measures.

So often these dogs have been described as ‘so gentle, wouldn’t hurt a fly’ - until they suddenly turn into killers.

Delia22 Mon 12-Feb-24 12:25:42

Iam64

No point comparing the uk with the USA. We speak the same language but not culture. We don’t have the right to bare arms or desire to do so. We don’t have the death penalty. A 60 year sentence for the mother of that child? what possible good does that achieve
The owner of a dangerously out of control dog that bites a person faces prison. The owner of a dog that kills faces a manslaughter charge

We need a better educated society where people take more responsibility

The mother (American) gifted the gun to a child!!! Almost saying , "ok here,s your license,go and kill someone" !Much the same as parents who "gift" their adolescent children powerful cars then are shocked when they go out,crash and kill someone and/or themselves!! Maybe the sentence given to the American mother will act as a warning to others!?

SeaWoozle Mon 12-Feb-24 12:26:09

I don't know if you read the response from the guy who owned the dog which killed the grandmother. He was one of the owners who didn't believe these dogs were dangerous and thought the. Ew laws were "stupid". He now believes they should all be "wiped out". That IS an American mentality, that it's all fine all the time it's happening to someone else with someone's else's dogs.....

Delia22 Mon 12-Feb-24 12:28:03

Oh,and some people can never be "educated"! They.much prefer to be selfish and do as they like!!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 12-Feb-24 12:31:02

Some people are too thick to be educated and I fear a lot of owners of XL bullies fall into that camp.

Iam64 Mon 12-Feb-24 12:50:13

Delia22 I don’t defend the actions of the American mother. I question the benefit of the length of her sentence especially where the right to bare arms trumps everything else

Shelflife Mon 12-Feb-24 13:45:11

We do not understand American culture , Iam64 I am with you ! When I heard what had happened I was aghast!!! Of course she should not have given the gun to a child , but this is America! It is of no value retaining ' the right to bear arms ' and then sentencing the childs mother to 60 years - it beggers belief! Nothing will change because America is hell bent on encouraging mass shootings!!
As for XL bullies - don't get me started!!!??

nexus63 Mon 12-Feb-24 14:01:12

our prisons can't cope with the prisoners we do have, they would not be able to cope with all the owners of these dogs
we will not be able to get rid of these dogs while they have puppy farms, i know that in scotland from the 23rd of feb, they have to be muzzled and on a lead when out in public, the laws coming in will not make much of a difference.

Oreo Mon 12-Feb-24 14:08:59

The latest incident took place in communal space at a block of flats, that meant by law the dog should have been wearing a muzzle.
My own feeling is that so many owners won’t comply with the law that in the end, putting all the XL Bully types down is the best option.

M0nica Mon 12-Feb-24 18:34:59

Put all these dogs down. End of.

America speaks a different language to us, superficially the same, same historic roots, but now completely divergent and its culture is entirely alien.

I am in France at the moment. Different language, but culturally much closerto British culture than the USA, as of course are the cultures of Germany, Norway and almost all the other countries in the EU.

Iam64 Mon 12-Feb-24 19:40:17

Spot on MOnica we share a
Much closer culture with other Northern European countries than with the usa

Witzend Tue 13-Feb-24 08:20:10

Oreo

The latest incident took place in communal space at a block of flats, that meant by law the dog should have been wearing a muzzle.
My own feeling is that so many owners won’t comply with the law that in the end, putting all the XL Bully types down is the best option.

Exactly. The owner of the dogs that killed the grandmother so recently had been heard to say that he wasn’t having anyone telling him what to do with his own fucking dogs.

I dare say such an attitude will not be at all unusual among the sort of people who own these dogs.

Ziplok Tue 13-Feb-24 17:15:37

I think you are right Witzend, sadly.