Gransnet forums

AIBU

Toothpaste tubes

(14 Posts)
yggdrasil Sat 10-Feb-24 12:40:44

This has been bothering me for some time. When I was young toothpaste came in metal tubes. You could roll up from the end (or even use the key from a sardine tin), and get all the paste out, no waste. And the metal tube could be recycled.
Now toothpaste comes in plastic tubes. You can only squash them so far. So you can't get them empty. And the plastic is landfill waste.
WHY!

MissInterpreted Sat 10-Feb-24 12:58:16

Cut them in half when they're almost empty - you'd be surprised how much is still in there!

Casdon Sat 10-Feb-24 13:02:04

Euthymol does still come in metal tubes, but I don’t like the taste! It is strange I’ve always thought it strange how the metal tubes are still used for tomato purée, but not for toothpaste. Maybe it will make a comeback now we are all so plastic conscious.

nadateturbe Sat 10-Feb-24 13:11:45

I buy these, they work well.

OldFrill Sat 10-Feb-24 13:17:11

Check your nearest plastic toothpaste tube recycling facility

www.recyclenow.com/recycle-an-item/toothpaste-tubes#locator

TinSoldier Sat 10-Feb-24 13:18:45

Toothpaste tubes were originally made from lead and cadmium, two metals that you don’t want leeching into something you put into your mouth. These were replaced by aluminium which is expensive.

One of the reasons the price of canned food has risen so much is to do with the cost of the aluminium. You can still buy toothpaste in metal tubes or tins but it tends to be from smaller brands and much more expensive. Metal tubes might still have plastic cap.

You can buy key toothpaste squeezers for a few pounds or you can improvise with a large paperclip or a hairpin or a couple of lolly sticks held tightly held together with rubber bands at the ends.

You can recycle plastic tubes at Boots.

I cut the end from the tube and use my toothbrush to get to the remaining paste that accumulates at the cap end.

Grantanow Sat 10-Feb-24 13:22:07

I was told some years ago that manufacturers made the nozzle wider so people used more toothpaste each time so they would need to buy another tube more quickly.

TinSoldier Sat 10-Feb-24 13:29:35

Squeezing an amount the length of a manual brushhead as shown in advertisments is unnecessary and wasteful. Electric toothbrushes only have a small round head. An amount the size of a pea is enough whatever brush you use.

Whiff Sun 11-Feb-24 06:01:34

Nadateturbe thank you for showing the toothpaste tube squeezers . I am finding it harder to squeeze the tube also they would work on my face wash tube. 😊

PamelaJ1 Sun 11-Feb-24 06:23:33

MissInterpreted

Cut them in half when they're almost empty - you'd be surprised how much is still in there!

Do this for all tubes, you will save a fortune!

mumofmadboys Sun 11-Feb-24 07:07:09

I recycle toothpaste tubes at Boots too

CoolCoco Sun 11-Feb-24 07:12:46

You can buy toothpaste tabs which come in glass jars , so plastic and metal free. More expensive tho.

maytime2 Sun 11-Feb-24 15:19:08

When coming to the end of the toothpaste tube, I roll it up and secure with a clothes peg to get the last bit out.

Moonwatcher1904 Sun 11-Feb-24 15:34:07

I have some very small bulldog clips. I roll the end up and clip then keep rolling and clipping till I get to the end and fold the top over to get the last bit out. I do that with all my tubes of cream. I get my toothpaste in those pump type tubes and when at the end push the last bit out by pushing the handle of my hairbrush up the tube. LOL The things we do.