Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to feel violated and very upset that someone has stolen my trademark?

(13 Posts)
sarahcyn Mon 05-Feb-24 12:50:28

So in 2020 I trademarked the word Grantenatal for my online grandparent classes which I run several times a year, not quite every month but most months. Today BBC Woman's Hour ran a feature on grandparent classes - an interview with a company called Happy Baby Happy Parents who also run grandparent classes.....
AND THEY ARE USING MY TRADEMARK.
They have "grantenatal" all over their website. Pure infringement.
Now I appreciate that they have a bigger publicity budget than me so kudos to them for getting on Woman's Hour, but I have looked into their class (I paid full whack to go on it) and it's not like mine at all. It might suit some people but I found it extremely patronising, personally, and I made sure that my course did not resemble it in any way whatsoever.
I'm just a 65 year old doula and grandma trying to scrape a living - Happy Baby Happy Parents is a big company which runs highly profitable antenatal classes basically by having great PR, cramming lots of couples into frankly unsuitable venues and giving no indication of how their courses are assessed or moderated, or even what they are telling parents.
I knew when I hit on that trademark that it would get copied as everyone says "what a great name" but I didn't realise how violated and upset I would feel as a result.
I have written to them and to Woman's Hour but if there are any lawyers reading this, I'd appreciate your thoughts on what to do next!

Smileless2012 Mon 05-Feb-24 13:14:10

I always thought that if you register a trademark, it's illegal for anyone else to use it.

Hopefully GSM will be along and give you the benefit of her legal advice.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 13:46:33

Grantenatal and The Baby Experience are trademarks registered in 2020, owned by two ladies in London. I assume you are one of them. An application to register Happy Parents. Happy Baby was refused in 2020. A company called Happy Baby Happy Baby Ltd was formed in 2020 by two doctors from Southend. I assume it’s this company who you are complaining about. Their website shows that they run ante natal classes for grandparents but I can’t see the word Grantenatal mentioned, let alone ‘plastered all over the website’.

Google brings up Grantenatal only on the website The Baby Experience, presumably your website. There is nothing there to indicate that the word is trademarked.

If Happy Parents are using your trademarked word - though as I have said I can’t find it - then if they don’t stop using it following your letter you will have to consult an intellectual property lawyer if you want to take things further, but do consider whether the financial outlay is worthwhile.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 13:47:20

Sorry, Happy Parents Happy Baby Ltd.

sarahcyn Mon 05-Feb-24 13:57:08

Thanks very much GSM. Actually it is on their website though in my distress I may have used an overwrought word! See screenshot attached. yes I'm the Baby Experience. I have now had a really nasty letter back from the HBHP woman - but she can't deny its my trademark so hopefully she'll take it off her stuff immediately.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 14:44:41

The website has been changed - that section is now entitled Grandparents Antenatal Classes, so I think your letter has done the trick.

sarahcyn Mon 05-Feb-24 15:03:55

I guess it has. But I've no idea how long they were using my trademark.
I guess what upsets me is Woman's Hour using them really in connection with my trademark.
I actually went on the HBHP course back in 2020 because I was in the process of devising my own course and I was quite worried about duplicating. To my intense relief, their course is NOTHING like what I had planned and it isn't anything like my course now.
yet the HBHP woman wrote back to me a very nasty letter insinuating (but not saying outright, she's too smart for that) that I'd stolen their format in some way. In fact the 2 courses could not be more different. They have a lot of material about changing nappies and baby-proofing your home and they seem to be focussed on "practical skills". I never felt I wanted to include topics like that in my course; I've chosen to focus on how science has changed and what we know about, for example, baby brain development and the microbiome, that we didn't know 30-40 years ago. There is virtually no overlap in our formats.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 15:15:08

Their format isn’t copyrighted anyway. Hopefully you’ve fired a sufficiently good warning shot across their bows for them to be more careful in future!

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Feb-24 16:16:36

I think Woman's Hour could apologise and give your company a mention on their programme.

Probably they didn't realise and it was reported in good faith but it would be the decent thing to do.

flappergirl Mon 05-Feb-24 20:01:29

Yes, as Callistemon says. Contact Woman's Hour and ask for a a "correction" to that interview. They can only say no.

Ali08 Thu 08-Feb-24 14:53:59

I agree with Callistemon21 and flappergirl.

SeaWoozle Wed 14-Feb-24 23:51:35

Callistemon21

I think Woman's Hour could apologise and give your company a mention on their programme.

Probably they didn't realise and it was reported in good faith but it would be the decent thing to do.

Completely agree. If they had done their research then they might well have found out that it wasn't their "word" to use. They should at the very least apologise for their lack of insight!

biglouis Thu 15-Feb-24 00:06:12

Some years back I was contacted by an organization which tried to pressure me into giving them one of my domain names. They told me they were not offering to buy it from me. If necessary they would take me to court to force me to give it up.

After some reflection I told them I was happy to let them have it for free. However for the physical work of providing the transfer my fee would be ££££££

You can charge what you wish for a business service, which this was. Its a bit like those internet scammers who contact you and say they have a huge sum ready to transfer to your account. However they need a $$$ payment from you to cover the "administration costs".

They never took me up on it.