Gransnet forums

AIBU

Audio Books

(47 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Thu 17-Nov-22 12:16:03

I k
Listen a great deal to audio books. - they are a great comfort to me. Recently, an eagerly awaited book by Caroline Corcoran and a novel by Mark Billingham. Have downloaded from Borrowbox. I have not been able to enjoy either because the Narrator's regional accent was so strong and reading style had off pauses. The second book was read by Maxine Peake who may be a known actor but whose voice grates with many people. Not at all relaxing. Would it not be preferable to use a Narrator with a smoother delivery? Samantha Bond and Alan Rickman (I know he is sadly, no longer with us) or others of that ilk?

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Nov-22 12:26:05

Yes, I am definitely led by the narrator, even more than the author.
I have hundreds of books on Audible.
I was really excited when I recently saw that there was a new audiobook out by one of my favourite authors - Anne de Courcy.
Unfortunate it was read by the author. I returned it as it just sounded so amateurish.
There are very few authors who do a good job of reading their own books.
Marian Keyes is one, and listening to Nigella reading her own books (How to Eat especially) is lush.
My favourite reader is Richard E Grant. I also love Jonathan Cecil reading Wodehouse.
I am not really a fan of the Agatha Raisin books, but I still enjoy listening to Penelope Keith reading them.
I could bang on about audiobooks until the cows come home!

Oldbat1 Thu 17-Nov-22 12:33:20

Yes I agree some voices aren’t great. I have to listen to a preview first before downloading. Sometimes narrator also reads too quickly. I’m enjoying McLevy on BBC Sounds acted in the main by the actors Brian Cox and Siobhan Redmond. There are many episodes. Recommend.

Daddima Thu 17-Nov-22 12:50:18

I think I actually prefer Bill Bryson’s books being read by William Roberts to ones read by Bill Bryson himself!
I was very disappointed in Billy Connolly’s book, as his reading style was a wee bit stilted, but I agree, my enjoyment can definitely be spoiled by the wrong narrator!

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Nov-22 12:55:45

Exactly the same here with Bryson, Daddima
My favourite of his is At Home, but I returned it as he is reading it.
The one about the mountain trail (I forget it’s name) is brilliantly read

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Nov-22 12:58:41

‘A Walk in the Woods’

Chardy Thu 17-Nov-22 16:29:15

I'm from London. I love Maxine Peake's voice. And Siobhan Redmond and Marian Keyes too.

I agree about the 'reading too quickly' comment - isn't there a function that allows you to slow it down a tad?

LilyoftheValley Thu 17-Nov-22 16:45:19

OldBat1 Thank you. I have not come across these - shall try.

Nannarose Thu 17-Nov-22 17:01:22

I much prefer Bill Bryson's books when read by himself - which just shows that audio books just can't get it right! I like the accent to be appropriate - sometimes in big cities or very varied backgrounds it's difficult to know which would work best.
I do think 'received' pronunciation works well for some books, but I don't think it does for others.
And of course, some we would never know, but Anton Lesser reading the Falco books is a wonderful treat for me - he really conveys the slightly thuggish but essentially decent Falco. (written by Lindsay Davies for those who don't know him already)

Blossoming Thu 17-Nov-22 17:13:20

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, mainly non fiction, due to visual impairments. I don’t mind accents, I sometimes have a giggle at the strange way some place names are pronounced though!

The only ones I have had to give up on were the Discworld books read by Tony Robinson. He ‘acted’ the characters and some of the results were excruciating. I was surprised as I like Tony Robinson’s work usually. I’ve since found the unabridged versions read by Stephen Briggs and they’re wonderful.

grannyrebel7 Thu 17-Nov-22 17:13:56

I've never tried audio books but if I did I would like to hear one read by Vanessa Feltz. I just love her voice.

Maggiemaybe Thu 17-Nov-22 17:17:07

LilyoftheValley

I k
Listen a great deal to audio books. - they are a great comfort to me. Recently, an eagerly awaited book by Caroline Corcoran and a novel by Mark Billingham. Have downloaded from Borrowbox. I have not been able to enjoy either because the Narrator's regional accent was so strong and reading style had off pauses. The second book was read by Maxine Peake who may be a known actor but whose voice grates with many people. Not at all relaxing. Would it not be preferable to use a Narrator with a smoother delivery? Samantha Bond and Alan Rickman (I know he is sadly, no longer with us) or others of that ilk?

Was the Mark Billingham Rabbit Hole, Lily? The narrator in the book itself is bolshy and from Wakefield and Maxine Peake’s Greater Manchester, so the voice seemed to fit pretty well imo. What I disliked was the constant casual swearing in it, but that’s down to the author of course. smile

Graham Norton reads his own audiobooks and does it really well. On the other hand, I’m part way through one of the Strike series and the narrator’s given Cormoran a very thick, exaggerated Cornish accent. I know he hails from Cornwall, but he sounds more like one of the servants in Poldark and it’s throwing me!

Rosie51 Thu 17-Nov-22 17:22:16

I've enjoyed lots of books read by the author, but I think they tend to be fact not fiction. 'Becoming' by Michelle Obama, 'Dreams from my father' by Barack Obama, Material Girls by Kathleen Stock, and a host of other non fiction. Fiction does depend very much on the narrator. I like the Bosch books by Michael Connolly and these are read by Titus Welliver the actor who plays him in the TV series. That adds an authenticity for me. I do return audible titles when I can't stand the narrator, and then get the kindle version. I could listen to the telephone directory if it was read by Stephen Fry, love his voice smile

Rosie51 Thu 17-Nov-22 17:26:01

Oh I love Robert Glenister reading the Strike novels, but I must admit the Cornish accent is sometimes a little too pronounced.

anna7 Thu 17-Nov-22 17:32:35

Wolf Hall and the two follow up books by Hilary Mantel are narrated by Ben Miles who does a wonderful job I think. I could never get into Wolf Hall when I tried to read it initially but I love the audio books.

Rosie51 Thu 17-Nov-22 17:43:04

Oh I'll try the audio books then anna7 as I was the same as you. My daughter in law devoured them, but I just couldn't get into it.

Daddima Thu 17-Nov-22 18:07:21

Chardy

I'm from London. I love Maxine Peake's voice. And Siobhan Redmond and Marian Keyes too.

I agree about the 'reading too quickly' comment - isn't there a function that allows you to slow it down a tad?

There is! It’s on the bottom left hand corner of the screen ( well, it is on my ipad)

anna7 Thu 17-Nov-22 18:09:38

I think you will like the audio books Rosie51. I enjoyed them so much I read the hard copies and got into them this time. I think I've got a bit obsessed because I've rewatched the TV series as well.

LilyoftheValley Thu 17-Nov-22 19:13:32

M.aggieMay. Yes, that is the book. Each to their own with voices, I think! It is the double g's and fast vowels that make me squirm and lose concentration. I agree with you about swearing. The odd word is acceptable but not a tirade.

Swearing descriptively also foxes me. It simply does not give an accurate description of what is going on, Apologies for going off message!

Franbern Sat 19-Nov-22 08:59:23

I love audio books. But, yes it does so depend on the narrator. To me, the best ones, almost turn the book into a production, like a play. I am just finishing the series of the seven 'Shardake books by CJ Sanson, all narrated by Stephen Crossley - abolutely brilliant, brings it all so much to life for me. CJ Sanson does have a long chapter at the end of each book inwhich he discusses rthe historical facts behind the story - and that is fascinating.

The only author read book I have actually enjoyed was Stephen Fry reading 'Troy'. Some books I have had to stop listening to due to really bad reading.

The Richard Osmon trilogy is narrated well, and I do enjoy hearing the interviews with the author at the end

Maggiemaybe Sat 19-Nov-22 09:04:26

I’ve just thought of another pet hate - narrators putting on different voices for different characters, particularly if it’s a man putting on a woman’s voice or vice versa. Drives me mad.

Mollygo Sat 19-Nov-22 09:36:50

My first audio books -my absolute favourites from the past were the alphabet cases by Sue Grafton and the narrator Lorelei King was my favourite.
Some of the other narrators were OK but some too abrupt or too drawly. Like other posters, I’ll return a book if the narration isn’t satisfactory.

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Nov-22 09:47:21

Do they come in the form of discs or memory sticks, please? I am totally tech challenged.

Mollygo Sat 19-Nov-22 09:51:11

My first audiobooks were on tapes, would you believe? Then on CDs. Now mine are downloaded. You can save them to a memory stick.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Nov-22 09:57:52

Charleygirl5

Do they come in the form of discs or memory sticks, please? I am totally tech challenged.

Hi Charlie
I subscribe to Audible and listen through my Alexa.

I’m sure I remember you saying that you’ve got Alexa, apologies if I’m mistaken.

The cheapest option for Audible is about £7 a month. You get one book a month for that, and there is absolutely loads of free stuff included. They seem to have a constant sale on too.

There are lots of different subscription options. After my first year, I opted for the top tier one where it’s about £100 including 24 books, and I get unlimited returns for that too (it doesn’t advertise that, but they do).

I highly recommend it.