Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tesco Christmas

(57 Posts)
Nanagem Tue 15-Nov-22 07:21:30

Anyone else trying to get a Tesco delivery slot, been on since 5am, site opened at 6 put thought I would join early

Start at place 27656, every time it gets to about 19000 it jumps back now 29899 again!

Hellogirl1 Fri 18-Nov-22 20:32:10

Effalump, I`m unable to get to the shops now, unless I take very expensive taxis, plus I would have great difficulty getting around when I got there. Home deliveries are a blessing.

Hetty58 Fri 18-Nov-22 07:10:05

effalump 'like any other time of the year' - it's ordered and delivered. I haven't supermarket shopped for a couple of decades - and I hated it back then!

MawtheMerrier Fri 18-Nov-22 05:21:47

effalump

Is there a particular reason why some of you can't just go to the shop like any other time of the year.

Oh those halcyon days where the checkout queue stretched to the back of our very large Sainsburys! Such larks- you were practically "besties " with the trolley owners in front of and behind you by the end of the 2 hours before walking the mile to the far side of the carpark and sitting in traffic for another hour.
Hmm remind me, what was the question?

Bijou Fri 18-Nov-22 02:46:47

Being housebound I have Sainsburys deliveries and have no problem in booking a slot straightaway three days beforehand and am surprised to learn the trouble in booking with Tesco.
Have never shopped at Tesco. Waitrose is fine but gave up because the branch they source from nearest to me is small and has little choice.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Nov-22 20:48:21

Blondiescot, I have a different view - my time is just too precious to spend in supermarkets - so everything's ordered online. I would never shop at Tescos though.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Nov-22 20:26:42

Marydoll

Callistemon21

effalump

Is there a particular reason why some of you can't just go to the shop like any other time of the year.

Yes.

But no-one has to explain why on GN.

Try reading the whole thread. The answers are there.

I know, and I fell into the trap of explaining, Marydoll.

Then I thought - Why?

GrauntyHelen Thu 17-Nov-22 20:19:04

I eventually got a "priority slot" nearest one to Christmas was 20/12

Marydoll Thu 17-Nov-22 18:20:21

Callistemon21

effalump

Yes.

Try reading the whole thread. The answers are there.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Nov-22 16:23:58

effalump

Yes.

rosie1959 Thu 17-Nov-22 16:22:11

I was just thinking back in time when I was small back in the early 1960s my parents ran the local village shop. People would place their orders with us all year round and either the delivery boy or my dad in his car would take their produce to their home
At Christmas time mum would use a small part of the shop to sell toys ect for presents which if required we would store until Christmas Eve dad would then go round delivering the toys

rosie1959 Thu 17-Nov-22 16:15:01

effalump

Started delivery during lockdown and have carried on. Not particularly keen on going around the supermarket especially when buying all the heavy stuff and lugging it in and out of a trolly. Actually cheaper to have it delivered rather than take my car to the supermarket
Occasionally go to Aldi as they don’t do delivery.

Kate1949 Thu 17-Nov-22 16:10:47

In our case, there is no particular reason why we can't go shopping. At the start of the pandemic we were worried about going to supermarkets (my husband has health conditions). We managed to get Tesco to deliver once every 10 days. We had never had online deliveries before. Tesco have been marvellous. I still don't like going to big supermarkets although as I said we can walk to Aldi and Lidl for fresh stuff. Why put yourself through the hassle if you don't have to?

effalump Thu 17-Nov-22 16:04:49

rosie1959 Thu 17-Nov-22 15:51:55

Theoddbird

They do have shops that you can visit.... Or you can do a click and collect...that is s really quick way to get shopping and easier than getting a delivery. Takes minutes once you get there.

I suppose that one depends how far the click and collect is from your home it would certainly cost me more in petrol than my delivery contract. Some do not have a vehicle to use in the first place
Collection would not be quicker for me 30 min drive each way.

Scotgirlnick Thu 17-Nov-22 15:34:21

Goodness! I never realise you need to do this sort of thing! Its an eye opener! We will just go to the shops. I am thinking of ordering a bird tho in case I get stuck with one that serves 20 people! Im not set on having a particular thing tho

Theoddbird Thu 17-Nov-22 15:26:13

They do have shops that you can visit.... Or you can do a click and collect...that is s really quick way to get shopping and easier than getting a delivery. Takes minutes once you get there.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Nov-22 13:28:25

And look what he picked up in Aldi just now when he called in for some bread.
Aw!
Too cute.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Nov-22 13:26:15

Our daughter does ‘click & collect’ from Sainsbury’s. As we live above the store guess who does the Christmas Eve collect (and deliver)?
😁

Alioop Thu 17-Nov-22 13:17:23

I go to our local convenience shops and the local market for my Christmas food shopping as there's only my sister and myself at Christmas. I buy a box of crackers that does us 6 years 😁 I have never had a home delivery as I'm lucky enough to drive and supermarkets drive me bonkers at Christmas anyway.

Saggi Thu 17-Nov-22 12:47:53

Got my sainsburys slot in 10 seconds. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Scottiebear Thu 17-Nov-22 12:18:15

I'm repeating what I did last year. Buying all my tins, packets and frozen stuff. Stashing away some wine and goodies. Going to M&S for a few bits today. Couple of days before Christmas I will pop to local Co-op for last minute fresh stuff. Mainly fruit, veg and cream. Was great last year. Stressfree. And I had plenty to cook for 6 on the day and fior casual guests between Xmas and up to NY eve. But I don't have a large family that I will be cooking Christmas dinner for. It may be harder if you are hosting a large group on the day.
I'm a bit dismayed that both our Tesco and Asda have revamped their stores with less manned tills and more self service tills for trolleys. I can't Imagine what the queues will be like at Christmas. I was at a self service till yesterday with about 6 items. Assistant had to come and authorise twice. Once to accept my bag and once for wine.

SillyNanny321 Thu 17-Nov-22 12:04:54

Have had a slot booked for a couple of weeks at Sainsburys with no problem getting it! Have had Sainsburys deliveries for years now due to my disability not letting me get to stores. Dont often have problems & always preferred Sainsburys to Tesco.

Hellogirl1 Thu 17-Nov-22 10:08:00

I`ve just booked my slot. I wanted Wednesday the 21st, but nothing available from that day onwards, so have settled for Tuesday the 20th.

biglouis Wed 16-Nov-22 11:37:37

I got a slot on the friday for my usual time (usual slot is saturday but that was full) after a 30 minute wait. I also boked 2 other slots at the same time so have now booked every week upto christmas. Im not a great lover of food shopping - just put the same things in my cart every week. This is the first time I have ever bothered to queue but I just happend to wake up at 7 am yesterday.

Floradora9 Tue 15-Nov-22 21:45:44

I set the alarm for 6 am and was told I had over an hour to wait. Tried again after an hour and told the same but when I went back I had missed my slot. This was 7.30 and I just looked up the slots left and got one for the Thursday . We could well have lots of snow by then so happy to let them delivery to me .