AIBU

AIBU explanation please and thank you

(32 Posts)
KeepitLight68 Wed 02-Nov-22 11:59:30

Out of the loop here: what does AIBU stand for? confused

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 12:01:08

Am I being Unreasonable

Georgesgran Wed 02-Nov-22 12:04:05

You’ll find a whole list of acronyms used on Gransnet on the website. It will help you to understand what posters are ‘saying’, if you want to read more threads.

VB000 Wed 02-Nov-22 12:10:27

www.gransnet.com/info/acronyms

KeepitLight68 Wed 02-Nov-22 12:50:42

KeepitLight68

Out of the loop here: what does AIBU stand for? confused

Thank you all!

sodapop Wed 02-Nov-22 12:54:58

These are actually very annoying abbreviations and not acronyms Keepitlight
Several people on here find them irritating and prefer to write the actual words.
Despite all that enjoy Gransnet.

biglouis Thu 03-Nov-22 00:09:22

There are common abbreviations that we all use to save time. Some of us have arthritic hands. You will get the odd troll complaining that someone used an abbreviation like NDN rather than typing out "next door neighbour" every time but they just make themselves look foolish.

dlizi4 Thu 03-Nov-22 00:12:27

sodapop

These are actually very annoying abbreviations and not acronyms Keepitlight
Several people on here find them irritating and prefer to write the actual words.
Despite all that enjoy Gransnet.

Thank you! X

BlueBelle Thu 03-Nov-22 05:13:38

Sodapop totally agree PLEASE let’s write properly so much moaning about young peoples text speak why do we have to copy
It takes a second longer and NO I M NOT A TROLL thank you biglouis and if you think I look stupid to spell a word correctly that says more about you than me

argymargy Thu 03-Nov-22 06:35:59

Why are they not acronyms Sodapop? Surely abbreviations are shortened versions of words eg etc for etcetera. Acronyms are where the first letter of each word is used eg AIBU.

Calendargirl Thu 03-Nov-22 06:44:54

I don’t think grumbling about the use of NDN (for example) makes you a troll.

Not my idea of what a troll is.

M0nica Thu 03-Nov-22 06:50:03

I do not mind the standard acronyms such as, DH, DGS, DGD.

But I have been on GN almost since it started and NDN is one I have only seen in the last few weeks and there was one post recently that I simply gave up on, it included so many acronyms, most of which I didn't recognise, or not easily that its content was completely incomprehensible.

JackyB Thu 03-Nov-22 07:13:37

I always thought an acronym was an abbreviation that spelt a word, or at least a pronounceable sequence of letters, such as WRENS or STEM, Not all abbreviations are acronyms.

NotAGran55 Thu 03-Nov-22 07:56:39

Most of the abbreviations on social media (SM) are initialisms not acronyms.

nanna8 Thu 03-Nov-22 08:30:35

I don’t particularly like them,either but I put up with them as a peculiarity on this site. I wish they would have a Like button, it would save having to actually make boring supportive comments half the time. It wouldn’t be hard.

DanniRae Thu 03-Nov-22 08:31:13

Well I didn't know what NDN meant - why would I? I think there is a bit more to being a troll than not knowing what 3 random words mean.

DanniRae Thu 03-Nov-22 08:32:32

Sorry I meant '3 random letters'

sodapop Thu 03-Nov-22 12:53:13

argymargy as JackyB said an acronym spells out a word unlike DD DH etc.

Well said BlueBelle.

KeepitLight68 Thu 03-Nov-22 13:15:29

I used to live with someone who used military acronyms a lot (ex. SNAFU) and then the internet brought the world more acronyms. and abbreviations for common words (U for you, LOL for laugh out loud). Does the world need to move that fast that some of us can't keep up? Am I getting too old to keep up? Slow down everyone who uses these things, there are plenty of REAL words out there, use'em! grin

BlueBelle Thu 03-Nov-22 15:05:37

It’s dumbing down, something older folk always accuse the young of doing to our precious language
If you don’t like them, don’t use them I don’t I write in English not alphabet soup and I shouldn’t be looked down on or called a troll because I once, yes once, queried what NDN meant

joannapiano Thu 03-Nov-22 15:58:32

My son had to explain to me what MILF meant.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 03-Nov-22 17:36:01

biglouis

There are common abbreviations that we all use to save time. Some of us have arthritic hands. You will get the odd troll complaining that someone used an abbreviation like NDN rather than typing out "next door neighbour" every time but they just make themselves look foolish.

In my opinion, no-one makes themselves look foolish by objecting to people using home-made abbreviations.

After all, if you are using a laptop you can make a macro to type in full any phrase you use so often that it is hard to write in out in full all the time.

Abbrieviations are fine, if they are well know. Nobody would consider writing The British Broadcasting Coporation instead of the BBC would they?

On the other hand SIL on this site can either mean sister-in-law or son-in-law and it is not always clear whom you meant.

I have never addressed, and probably never will, my husband as "dear husband" and I feel slightly ridiculous subscribing to the convention that DH on Gransnet signifies the man one is married to - especially if I am giving vent to my exasperation with the dear man!

grumppa Thu 03-Nov-22 18:15:29

NDN is new to me, too.

KeepitLight68 Fri 04-Nov-22 11:21:14

I'm an editor and in the last few years, have edited a memoir written by a "young" woman. I think she was in her 30's at the time. She used a lot of acronyms in use by those of her age. I suppose it's correct? when you're gearing something to a particular age group?

Charleygirl5 Fri 04-Nov-22 12:42:13

U also found out a few weeks ago what NDN meant.

joannapiano do you think your son could possibly pop in here and tell me what MILF means? Should I know?