Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to vent!

(94 Posts)
Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 14:24:29

Arggggghhhh! I need to vent! We live 25 mins from mil. She has 3 adult children. My husband, his older sister and younger brother. They both live 300 miles away. All her care has fallen to us for the last 30 years. There are infrequent, occasional visits from the other two, as and when it suits them, and only for a few days at a time from one, and a couple of weeks from the other. Christmases are always a nightmare. We feel it’s reasonable, being here all the time, to let one or other sibling cover Christmas. She’s now too old to travel to them. Every single year there are arguments as to why one or other sibling can’t do it. This year is no exception, except that having hosted her last year, we said we would be going to my family this year. Sil agreed. Now it transpires she has ruled herself out, saying her mum really wants a family to spend Christmas with. Bil is too unfit to come. The worst of it is that she has been told we are not available this year, but has now browbeaten my husband with threats of disinheritance and the family looking badly on him unless he spends Christmas with her. She feels she should be the priority, and has said as much. Not only do I think one of the siblings should spend Christmas with her, but that they should be volunteering in view of the fact we’re here the rest of the time. However, she is 98, and these threats have become all too frequent when she’s trying to force my husband to do something she wants. AIBU?

Lucca Mon 31-Oct-22 14:40:53

No you are not being unreasonable in my opinion. You can bet the siblings will be right there for any inheritance!
I think you should stick to your guns and be with your family for once. I guess it depends on whether MIL can or would disinherit

Hithere Mon 31-Oct-22 14:45:32

It is time to reclaim your life back

You are only forced to do what you choose (generally speaking)

Granny23 Mon 31-Oct-22 15:01:32

Reminder: Christmas is a season not just one day. You could celebrate with SOME of the family on Christmas Eve, Others on Christmas Day, Boxing day, Hogmanay or New Years Day (or even any day in between). This is what we do as we all have small houses, unable to accommodate the whole family at once.

silverlining48 Mon 31-Oct-22 15:16:52

It is not unreasonable to expect the other son and daughter should take turns at Christmas given you have done the lions share for so many years.
If mil is threatening to cut your dh off then there’s nothing stopping his siblings sharing the inheritance when time comes equally between all 3 of them, but not sure I woukd risk it, they certainly don’t seem to be bothered that they leave you to do it all.
I understand as was in similar position, except my sibling lived 5 minutes walk and I was much further away but still they didnt do their share.

Smileless2012 Mon 31-Oct-22 15:21:29

Your husband needs to stand up to his mother and his siblings Sunflower. His mum will only continue to behave in this way if she's enabled and his siblings aren't going to help out if your husband's going to do everything himself.

I certainly wouldn't be controlled by threats of being disinherited.

Jodieb Mon 31-Oct-22 15:54:44

Does she not live in a nursing home? You do have my sympathy. It's hard enough if they are old and sweet but when they are controlling, well, just don't let her or the Sil. Ignore the threats. You are entitled to your own life.
Hope things get sorted.

Forsythia Mon 31-Oct-22 16:02:23

She’s 98. Realistically, how many more Christmases has she got? The siblings are unfair but could she not join your family for Christmas?

Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 16:43:15

Lucca: No, I don’t suppose she would disinherit, but the sadness of a mother saying that to a son to get him to do what she wants reduces us to tears, especially as we are the ones caring for her.

Silverloning48: They wouldn’t share. Sil would say it was her mother’s wishes! Strange it doesn’t apply when her mother expresses a preference SIL DOESN’T agree with!!!

Jodie’s: No nursing home. She refused. She lives at home and has three carer visits a day.

Forsythia: We’ve hosted her for that reason for the last number of years. Our plans, which were known by DH’s siblings since January, involve travelling. So joining us is unlikely, as that is difficult for her.

It’s really just about the principle of the thing. How can we leave a 98 year old on her own? And yet if we don’t capitulate, cancel our plans, the other two seem to have no qualms about leaving her. I don’t understand.

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Oct-22 17:06:38

Are your pans all "booked in" or do they still have some fluidity?

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Oct-22 17:13:49

If your brother-in-law is unfit to travel why not suggest your Sister-in-law uses your house to host her mother?
I'm confused about the "family" your mother-in-law is wanting.
Does she mean your children?

Do your husband's siblings not have family?

Hithere Mon 31-Oct-22 17:14:54

It is not about how many cmas she has left, how about you and your husband?

You have been coddling mil since she was 68 or younger -she can only play you if you let her

Debbi58 Mon 31-Oct-22 17:37:22

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you , I think Christmas can be really stressful. I married my second husband 12 years ago. He's an only child and both parents are in their 90's now , they live 10 min drive from us and are fairly independent. However, every Christmas is the same , we make our plans. He then visits his parents and they decide what they want to do and my husband falls in with them. He's never stood up to them, preferring to upset me. I have a large extended family as well as grown daughters and 3 young grandchildren. It's just not possible to see everyone on Christmas day . My twin daughters are 30 this boxing day , I used to organise a family gathering for them. But not this year , as they have fallen out again !!! I can empathise with you , I hate being bullied into spending Christmas day with people I don't really want too. If hubbie pulls that stroke with me again this year, I'm going out , leave him here with his parents 😤 I've tried talking to him about how I feel etc and he agrees . Then still does it !! He just can't say no to them.

eazybee Mon 31-Oct-22 17:40:49

Unfortunately, whatever happens you are going to be made to feel guilty. Threats of disinheritance are despicable, but the coercion of one child with the connivance of the other siblings is only too common.
Would you be prepared to spend Christmas with your family without your husband? He has clearly been bullied by his mother for most of his life, and is not going to stand up to her now, being more concerned about the disapproval of his family than your feelings. And have a real go at your selfish sister in law as well. They do sound an awful family.

Theexwife Mon 31-Oct-22 17:42:18

It is unfair, but I assume they do not love her and therefor feel no guilt in not seeing her. You cannot make people care.

You obviously do care about her but surely she would be ok for one day with carers calling in.

Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 18:21:57

NotSpaghetti: They’re fluid in the sense that we’d have to cancel invitations to my brother’s, my son and my daughter’s houses.
Sadly SIL doesn’t drive so would be impossible to get mil to our house, plus the only suitable toilet facilities are upstairs.
Yes, she means adult children. Ours aren’t available so it would only be me and DH. SIL’s children all married with children and doing other things. None live near. BIL’s adult children would come, but sadly BIL unfit to travel.

Debbie58: Is there a high five emoji!!! I’m with you on that one. My family have said just carry on with your plans on your own, but I have a conscience and I couldn’t just walk away. But we have been manipulated, deceived, coerced, emotionally blackmailed for as long as I can remember. Trouble is, it’s the 98 year old that suffers, and who wants to see that?

Forsythia Mon 31-Oct-22 18:27:38

Do your own thing. Let your husband be with his mother and you go to your family. I bet if you suggest to him you’re doing that he will find a way round it.

Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 18:36:11

Eazybee: Yes to feeling guilty whatever happens or immensely resentful.
Yes, threats of disinheritance are despicable, even if she wouldn’t carry it out.
I would be prepared to visit family on my own, but that would make me look so uncaring.
True, he’s not going to change now, although he has tried remonstrating with her, sadly she places more store on staying in favour with her daughter.

Theexwife: ‘….but surely she would be ok for one day with carers calling in.’ Ha! That made me laugh! We had exactly the same two years ago. We gave up our plans in order to make sure someone visited her on Christmas morning because no one would come down and be with her, even though they were given plenty of notice of our plans to go away. She is STILL talking about how she was ‘LEFT’ on Christmas Day. ‘ABANDONED’. Had to have a ‘CHARITY Christmas dinner’. Even though we hosted her last year, she STILL blames us for THAT Christmas WE abandoned her!!!!

Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 18:37:26

Forsythia: He has said he wouldn’t leave her on her own even if I continue with the plans. He would be ok with me doing that. It’s just that I would feel awful!

Allsorts Mon 31-Oct-22 18:37:46

What’s wrong with sil having both mothers for one day. I think you need to have a talk.If you have to have mil make it C day and your family boxing day. I do hope I don’t get selfish and make demands on my son, I want him to have Christmas with his family if he becomes a grandad as I have been lucky and always had my family but only one day. . I only have one day with my sons family the rest of the time I’m on my own so they can see dil family.

Sunflower2 Mon 31-Oct-22 18:43:45

Allsorts: SIL has said she can no longer have her mother at her house as she finds it too hard to look after her. MIL could also not travel 300 miles to her daughter’s.

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Nov-22 01:18:43

Hello, you say BIL’s adult children would come... Maybe ask them if they would please consider going to her this year if you bought a Christmas dinner they could just pop in the oven?

Something like this:

www.cookfood.net/menu/christmas/christmas-day

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Nov-22 01:19:23

Presumably they could stay at your house?

Sunflower2 Tue 01-Nov-22 07:52:39

NotSpaghetti: They WOULD come if their parents were coming, ie BIL and his wife, but as BIL can’t travel due to ill health, it’s unlikely they would offer, plus MIL’s care should really fall to one of her children, not grandchildren, although it would be a welcome gesture. They would be perfectly capable of cooking a Christmas dinner and our house would be available if they needed it.
My beef is just the principle of the thing. The lack of help when we need it. A fair and equitable sharing of responsibility. I can’t understand why, whether out of duty, guilt, gratitude or desire, the others see no reason to play their part. If it were reversed and THEY had responsibility for her, in their part of the country, I couldn’t, for shame, not feel we had to help out at times.

DillytheGardener Tue 01-Nov-22 09:03:20

It’s a difficult one. Your mother in law sounds manipulative and nasty. Using one ac for care then threatening to with draw inheritance is awful behaviour, my mother in law is a piece of work but not that bad.

Unfortunately people who are genuinely difficult and nasty, reap their reward in that relatives avoid them. It doesn’t make the relatives bad, just that they won’t put up with it. Your DH sounds like he has been trained to dance to his DM’s tune and she can be nasty to him, because she knows he will always be there.

For posters saying she’s not long for this world abs they should include her, no it’s unfair she has had plenty of Christmas with op and it’s ops family turn this time.

Say no. If she has a strop maybe she will learn she can’t always get what she wants and may catch more flys with honey rather than vinegar.

Have the Christmas you want op. Having had a LIFETIME with my ghastly mil who must be fettered and indulged I would love a Christmas without her, but have had 30 something years of marriage with her haunting every Christmas and taking over. Now my sons both live abroad I’d wished I’d had at least one without her to do a Christmas my own way and without constant criticism.