Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish that I was independently wealthy (light hearted)

(16 Posts)
Notagranyet1234 Sat 29-Oct-22 21:41:45

I have decided I need to be Independently wealthy!
I am almost 60 and in 3 weeks I start a new job.
I felt it was impossible to remain in my current workplace and maintain my sanity. A management company took over 9 months ago and so many staff have been subject to disciplinary action or left of their own accord.
I realise how fortunate I am to have found an interesting new job on my own terms.
The manager is very eager for me to start and everyone seems lovely. Financially I will be earning about the same although my travel costs will increase.
But...I am fed up of having to go out to work.
It isn't even the working I object to, It is everything that goes with it.
The hour travelling in traffic each way. Going out in the nasty winter weather, knowing that I may not get home to my rural village, if it snows.
My family (both kids are ASD) will help out at home, but only if I leave incredibly detailed instructions about what needs doing which takes almost as long as doing the thing in the first place.
If I can't be independently wealthy I just really want to hibernate until the spring.
It has been a rough 6 months, my lovely mum died 6 months ago and my aged dad is needing a lot of support and we are all dreading the coming C Word because she loved it so..
Am I alone in feeling lazy and unmotivated like this? Is it related to the never ending joy that is the menopause?
In reality I know I am really lucky (because my life hasn't always been so good) so maybe I just need to give my head a wobble and crack on?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 29-Oct-22 22:05:10

There was a time in my life (a long time ago now) when I made a number of TV appearances, including a BBC regional documentary that got a national outing on BBC2. Enough that I was occasionally recognised when out and about a long way from home for a few years.
There was also a time when, while I was some considerable way from being one of the super-rich and I'd never have been allowed within a mile of Annabel's, I had enough income not to have to worry for a while. This and the above did overlap for a while.

Furthermore, I have also been homeless and on my uppers, both before and after my Warholian fifteen minutes of fame.

Right now I'm trundling along on a modest income – a reasonable job to supplement my pension, enough to keep my nose above the waves but not enough not to be concerned about the privations ahead (I don't drive, which does help to give me some breathing space)>

On the whole, my experience of the permutations of rich/not-rich and famous/not-famous is that there's a lot to be said for not-rich and not-famous.

Rich and not-famous would be ideal but very hard to sustain. Not-rich and famous would be miserable. Rich and famous would be a pain because of the life-in-a-goldfish-bowl aspect (but that's just me).

Having enough to get by, enough free time to enjoy it, enough good friends to enjoy it with, and enough privacy not to be hassled, would seem to be perfect.

crazyH Sat 29-Oct-22 22:13:41

LadyHD - you need to write your autobiography. An exciting book it would be !!!

biglouis Sat 29-Oct-22 23:58:55

I would vote for rich and not famous any time. I cant think of anything worse than being "famous" as I am a very private person. As for power and responsibility you can keep those too. Just give me the basic cash.

CanadianGran Sun 30-Oct-22 02:19:07

NotYet... it sounds like you are in a slump and need a bit of cheering up. I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and you are typical of the 'sandwich generation' where there are responsibilities with the older generation, and children still at home.

There are always Gransnetters here with open ears and shoulders to (figuratively) lean on.

Good luck with the new job, I hope you enjoy the work and you may make new friends there.

Notagranyet1234 Sun 30-Oct-22 11:29:05

Canadiangran thank you for your kindness, yes very definitely in a slump and equally choosing to have children later has resulted in me being sandwiched between caring for children and parents.
This too will pass, and whilst I would never wish for fame and fortune, it would be great not having to worry about unexpected expenses. However, I am very well aware we are all feeling the pinch currently and I have always been quite frugal, don't particularly enjoy traveling or socialize much so I am acutely aware it could be worse.
I think being single makes responsibility weight more heavily, but singledom is much preferable to being unhappy in a relationship so pros vs cons.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 11:40:26

Notagranyet1234

You've had a lot to cope with recently and I know the feeling of being like a piece of elastic, stretched to snapping point. You're not lazy at all!
Starting a new job too will bring anxieties and the travelling sounds exhausting on top of a full day but worth it to leave the other place behind.

I'm going to be practical now and suggest you have a checkup with your GP; I'm not saying anything is wrong but you could be anaemic if you are feeling so tired.

I hope the new job works out well.

nanna8 Sun 30-Oct-22 11:42:35

Oh Notagee that is so hard for you. As your children get older it will, hopefully,improve. I think you definitely need some ‘me’ time - any chance you could get a hol away from it all for a couple of days or so ? You certainly sound like you deserve it! I remember all too well my last couple of years at work until I retired. I had a really interesting and varied job but I was so over it all and just wanted to get up in the morning and not have to go to work. Sunday nights were vile, thinking of all the work I had to do the next day. Anyway, thoughts are with you, hang in there,it won’t be forever!

Davida1968 Sun 30-Oct-22 12:04:03

Biglouis you have expressed exactly how I feel. I'd love to be rich but I'd hate to have "recognisable" fame. DH always says he'd rather be Bernie Taupin than Elton John! (Bernie is a lyric writer who co-wrote most of Elton's songs.)

henetha Sun 30-Oct-22 12:21:23

Me too! Rich- yes please. Famous - absolutely not!

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 12:25:06

Every month I fully expect to win £1m on the Premium Bonds and every month I'm disappointed.

However, I suppose even £1m doesn't mean wealth these days.
It would be a large comfort cushion, though.

Forsythia Sun 30-Oct-22 12:25:50

I wouldn’t want to be famous or infamous! However, enough money to live a comfortable retirement means a happy life I think.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Oct-22 13:20:30

Callistemon re the premium bonds- I cannot speak for you but in my case I am sure it is an admin error so next week should be rather different.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 30-Oct-22 13:28:20

Oh Notagranyet, you are in a very tough place- bereaved, with caring duties for a parent and children with additional needs, plus a new job to negotiate. Cut yourself some slack and build in some indulgences for yourself ( whatever that might be for you) . I hope that your new post brings you satisfaction and congenial colleagues- you must be due some good luck 🤞- even if you can't organise independent wealth.

AussieGran59 Sun 30-Oct-22 23:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doodledog Mon 31-Oct-22 00:48:36

I have some bad news for those expecting a million pound win on the premium bonds this month. I’m afraid it’s my turn.

The only good thing I can think of about being famous would be getting to go on Who Do You Think You Are? I’d like that - particularly if they unearthed a scandal or something more interesting than the bare bones recorded on the census records. Otherwise no thanks.

I’d like to be rich, but more for my children really. Not because I’m any sort of martyr (far from it!) but it would make more difference to their lives than mine. I would like a house with a sea view though, and a flat in a city centre would be lovely. Oh and a chauffeur too, if that’s not too greedy grin