Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parcels delivered with no packaging

(23 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 27-Oct-22 15:00:10

AIBU here?
GS's birthday is approaching. It's not til December, but DIL saw the item he wanted on special offer and ordered it online as a present from us.
The item was delivered today (next day delivery - full stars for that!), with no email to say it was coming and no packaging - just the item in its display box which clearly shows what it is. With it being half term, the GC opened the door and took delivery - birthday surprise ruined!
Surely it isn't too much to expect things to be transported in a plain cardboard box?

V3ra Thu 27-Oct-22 16:25:35

If you order from Amazon there is a note during the checkout procedure warning about this. It's to save unnecessary packaging which is a good idea.

However there's also an option to ask for "delivery in Amazon packaging" and then the item is placed in a bag or box so it's not identifiable.

What a shame in this case, though I hope it's not spoiled your grandson's birthday ?

PinkCosmos Thu 27-Oct-22 16:56:58

We have had quite a few items that have arrived in the original packaging and with just an Amazon label stuck on them. This makes items much more tempting for thieves.

Some of the Amazon packaging is so OTT for the item but I suppose they can't have a box in a size suitable for everything

Thanks V3ra, I didn't know you could ask for them to be wrapped.

shysal Thu 27-Oct-22 17:06:28

I was embarrassed when the postman delivered a pair of long janes underwear in cellophane, bearing a huge XL label blush!

Jodieb Sun 30-Oct-22 17:45:06

I pressed the Amazon button for delivery in box and it came in clear bag.
I didn't mind but if you need to return it you need packaging.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Oct-22 17:54:08

My last item to arrive without packaging was a ceramic electric heater. Luckily I was in and the fellow actually rang my doorbell rather than dumping it and driving off. Anybody could read from a distance what was in the box so it could easily have been stolen.

Doodledog Tue 13-Dec-22 21:42:20

Does anyone know whether Curry's deliver without packaging, please?

I have ordered Mr Dog's Christmas present from them, and there was no option to choose a plain wrapper. It's making me nervous, as he usually goes to the door - if I push him out of the way and run to answer he's going to smell a rat, isn't he?

Oreo Wed 14-Dec-22 08:20:03

shysal

I was embarrassed when the postman delivered a pair of long janes underwear in cellophane, bearing a huge XL label blush!

😂😂😂

Oreo Wed 14-Dec-22 08:22:55

Tell Mr Dog not to answer the door.I said same to DP last week as I knew his present would arrive.All it tells them is that you’ve ordered something for them so doesn’t spoil things.

JackyB Wed 14-Dec-22 08:32:06

Jodieb

I pressed the Amazon button for delivery in box and it came in clear bag.
I didn't mind but if you need to return it you need packaging.

This is odd. I've never received anything from Amazon.de which wasn't packed - although Germany has managed to convince Amazon not to used plastic packaging. Nor have I noticed any option to choose the packaging for it to be delivered in when ordering.

However, for returns, you now do not need packaging. You just take the item along to the post office or parcel delivery agency (Hermes, DHL, whatever) show your QR code on your phone and they print the label and pop it in a suitable box for you. Actually, I'm not sure what they put it in, if at all, because they just take the item out the back. I never usually have to return anything but did send a top back recently which turned out to be far too big.

toscalily Wed 14-Dec-22 08:32:18

Can you track the delivery and if you know it will be arriving very soon perhaps you could be outside, pretend to be sweeping the drive, pulling up weeds, cleaning the drains any excuse will due.

Athrawes Wed 14-Dec-22 11:52:02

I can understand why, but when it's got the label firmly stuck on the protective covering it's a bit awkward as I like to wrap it in it's own protective cover. It seems to be a new trend now

Doodledog Wed 14-Dec-22 11:58:01

toscalily

Can you track the delivery and if you know it will be arriving very soon perhaps you could be outside, pretend to be sweeping the drive, pulling up weeds, cleaning the drains any excuse will due.

That's a good idea, thanks. I don't know if I can track it, as I don't have a notice of dispatch yet, but most stores will send an email or text when it's due.

I can ask him not to answer the door when I'm in, Oreo, but ice or no ice I can't stay indoors until Christmas grin.

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Dec-22 12:31:20

You can usually track the parcel on Amazon once it has decided the item will arrive before 10 pm. You would have a long wait outside.

It means you are continually checking your computer. Alexa warns me it is en route and sometimes she may say it is coming between 2-4 pm. I watch until he is a few doors away and work out when my rubbish has to be popped into the bin.

Doodledog Wed 14-Dec-22 13:43:06

It's from Curry's, not Amazon. I had to give a phone number, so maybe they text delivery updates - I don't think I've ordered from them before (or if I have I don't remember), so I don't know. If I knew that it would come in a plain box I would just say it was for someone else - I do 90% of the Christmas shopping, so that would be par for the course, and he wouldn't question it.

I've got him a laptop, and he doesn't know about it (his is an ancient cast-off of mine, so he'll be delighted with it) and I don't want to ruin the surprise. He knows what I'm getting both of the children, so I won't get away with pretending it's for them, and there is nobody else getting a present for that sort of money.

Doodledog Thu 15-Dec-22 11:28:53

It arrived (I thought I'd better tell you all in case you were sitting on the edge of your seats wink)

It came in a box inside a plastic bag, so he could have accepted the delivery, but I got in first.

toscalily Thu 15-Dec-22 12:29:10

That's good, now you have to find somewhere to hide it.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Dec-22 13:24:41

I had to send a purchase back twice earlier this year because the label could not be removed from the box. Eventually I found the tick box about packaging and the 3rd was in a box.

My friend says if you tick that it's a "gift" it comes in something opaque.

Kalu Thu 15-Dec-22 13:43:40

I haven’t experienced this with any parcel deliveries. Amazon keep me posted date and time wise and follow up with a map of my area showing how many stops until my parcel arrive, always wrapped and no chance of anyone having a clue what’s inside.
Your experience would have angered me GrandmaKTespecially if either of our two GDs were taking a delivery in. I often have parcels delivered to DD’s address when sending GDs a surprise. Sorry thé surprise for your GS was ruined for you and him.

Grantanow Mon 26-Dec-22 16:56:20

Amazon do sometimes overdo packaging. Large box for small item with brown paper padding alongside.

Margs Tue 27-Dec-22 10:50:23

Being brutal,as long as they've got your credit card details then that's often when customer satisfaction finishes.

Athrawes Tue 27-Dec-22 11:58:36

I bought a bag for a friend and it was delivered in it's plastic [?] bag with the label stuck on it so everyone could see the contents and also my name on it. The latter is normal but I don't want Tom, Dick & Harry passing comments should they see the bag itself! I wrapped it in Christmas paper to give to my friend and scribble out my name etc to make sure as far as I could that it wasn't something that I'd bought for myself!!!

Curtaintwitcher Tue 27-Dec-22 13:56:36

This is why I don't buy health products from a certain on-line retailer. The postman can see quite plainly what you have bought and, presumably guess what ailment you are suffering from.
Some of the Argos items are not in separate packaging and I have had delivery drivers discussing my purchases with me, even stating that they intend to buy the item themselves!