Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder how people will afford their many beauty treatments?

(154 Posts)
snowberryZ Tue 15-Mar-22 15:32:56

With the cost of living sky rocketing I already find myself cutting back on life's little luxuries.
I try to go longer between hairdresser visits and can't remember when the last time I bought any expensive beauty products
I'm also on low/no buy new clothes this year and trying to utilise the clothes I already have. That's besides making changes to the heating and fuel in the car. Also less cinema trips and meals out.

Okay the thing that intrigues me is this. I have many friends who are 'really' high maintenance. And they're not all well off.
If I use Friend X as an example.
She has microbladed eyebrows that need topping up every now again.
She has her nails done every 4 weeks.
She also has eyelash extensions which have to be redone regularly.
As well as that she has regular facials and botox. She doesn't have extensions, but some of my friends do, and apparently they need to be moved at extra £££ every couple of weeks.

It's not just older ladies having this done, lots of younger people have gone down this high maintenance expensive route as well
How on earth will they manage to keep up with all this expensive grooming?
Listening to some of them talk, I get the impression that the top ups and ongoing maintenance is sometimes almost as much as the original treatments!
Because of the horrendously rising high cost of living do you think we'll see a return to more natural looking women, as the majority won't be able to afford to have these things done anymore?

rosie1959 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:35:44

Some have more money than others

snowberryZ Tue 15-Mar-22 15:36:53

And will we see the more expensive salons and spa and beauty places go out of business?
People will be after a bargain. Maybe mobile hairdressers will come into their own as people will no longer be able to justify paying £200 at a salon.

snowberryZ Tue 15-Mar-22 15:41:24

rosie1959

Some have more money than others

I agree, but I'm talking about fairly ordinary people of modest means spending £££ on lots of beauty treatments.
Their choice of course.

I'm wondering whether there will be a societal shift to looking more natural.
It's already starting to happen in other areas, with food and people are more conscious of where their clothes come from and care more about the environment.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Mar-22 15:49:52

I've really enjoyed seeing people looking more natural looking during the various lockdowns.

Cabbie21 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:49:53

I think you may be right.
I have just been to the dentist, costing me about £64 for a check up and one repair to a broken tooth. For some people just above the benefits threshold that will be unaffordable, so it is not just beauty treatments that may have to be curtailed.

AGAA4 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:50:30

We've been lured into thinking that we should do everything we can to look younger. Some people do spend a lot of money on holding back the years and if they can afford it they will carry on. Those on more modest incomes will have to choose between essentials and beauty procedures.
I do think people will forgo some of the expensive therapies so they can keep the heating on.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:50:33

It’s their money to spend how they wish, perhaps they go without other things in order to treat themselves.

If having these treatments makes them feel confident and contributes towards their mental and general well being, it’s a good thing.

If they are very insecure and these treatments are being used as a crutch and they are getting into debt then that’s a totally different issue.

Kate1949 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:51:18

I suppose it depends on how not getting their treatments affects their self esteem. I never visit beauty salons. However, I will fight tooth and nail to keep going to my hair clinic. Some of us don't have the luxury of hair or simply 'going to the hairdressers'. It's not cheap but without them I wouldn't be able to leave the house. I am an ordinary person of modest means but do without other things so that I can have hair.

rosie1959 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:54:46

I don't think the expensive places will go out of business if you have the money for them then the increase in the cost of living isn't really going to affect you that much
Suspect the less expensive will suffer more
Mind you I am not stopping my regular root colour ain't going grey for anything. My hairdresser is actually very reasonable

JaneJudge Tue 15-Mar-22 15:54:47

Do you know I haven't seen my dentist since before the pandemic and they sent me a text yesterday, not asking me to go in to have my teeth checked but to invite me to a % off botox and derma fillers hmm

Elizabeth27 Tue 15-Mar-22 16:07:19

One person's essential is another person's luxury.

Blossoming Tue 15-Mar-22 16:13:05

I go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks for a trim, it grows so quickly. It was uncontrollable by the time lockdown ended. I’m don’t have any colour on it. I don’t have any beauty treatments. I buy L’Oreal skincare products, they’re not madly expensive.

I used to love a spa day but lockdown and shielding put paid to that.

I honestly don’t know how some people afford all that stuff anyway.

Casdon Tue 15-Mar-22 16:17:35

I think people have all got different priorities. As long as you have food, warmth and shelter what else you spend money on is all down to choice really. If some people prioritise their eyebrows, hair, or whatever else over buying a new suite, or going on holiday for example it’s really up to them.

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-22 16:43:19

I have never been high maintenance, and try to balance dressing well with not buying more clothes than I actually need.

I was brought up to believe looking as best you could on whatever your budget was ( or wasn't) represented your respect for yourself. Not trying to look younger, but the best you could.

Currently I have my hair cut every six weeks. I colour it myself (Superdrug own brand) about three times a year and have my eye brows tinted.

My last stand would be moisteriser. I have very dry skin and it would get cracked, red and raw without it. Soap makes my skin worse. The rest I could, if really pushed, manage without.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Mar-22 17:09:13

I think some people may find themselves faced with either giving up some treatments or getting into debt. I hope they wouldn’t choose the latter but suspect many will go down that route.
I wear (mainly inexpensive) eye makeup every day and take care of my appearance but have never had my nails done and no longer go to the hairdresser, which saves a good bit of time and money. I use moisturiser and sunscreen every day but none of my products are very costly. I’m sorry for ladies who have become so dependent on ‘treatments’ that they daren’t give them up. That’s a really sad situation to be in. (Not you Kate, I’m truly sorry for your situation but what you have done is essential to your well-being IMO, not a vanity project.)

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Mar-22 17:20:00

I have stopped going to the hairdressers for a while now, instead I am going to grow my white hair long. The only beauty treatment I now have and will not give up is waxing on my face which includes my eyebrows and any hairs that shouldn’t be there . Cost £18. I have it done every 5 weeks or so,

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Mar-22 17:31:42

You’re lucky to have white hair Barmey. Mine’s fifty shades of grey but I’m persevering!

Judy54 Tue 15-Mar-22 17:36:10

How on earth did these people manage during lockdown without accessibility to a Hairdresser or a Beautician? Everyone is having to make cut backs it is all about priorities. At least I still have a roof over my head and food on my table unlike the many refugees from the Ukraine.

Sago Tue 15-Mar-22 17:41:55

I’ve just come back from the supermarket, an assistant had to come and help me as a bar code was crimped and wouldn’t scan, her very long acrylic bejewelled nails meant she couldn’t type in the necessary code, I asked her how she managed to do housework etc, she said she struggled with many tasks but her nails meant everything to her.

It’s a bit sad really.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Mar-22 17:51:28

We all have different priorities. I love expensive perfume and visit the hairdresser every 6 weeks for a cut. Every three months I have my roots done. OH and I enjoy eating out at least once a week. But, I haven’t had a manicure or pedicure for years and I haven’t bought a new winter coat for several years. I just have it cleaned. It’s quite bizarre (white with a pattern of enormous red roses all over it) so it’s never going to look out of fashion. It was never in fashion. I love buying books and china but the only makeup I wear is lipstick and I use a £20 pot of face cream.

DillytheGardener Tue 15-Mar-22 17:59:00

I’m lucky as an ex cosmetologist I can do most treatments to myself. My hair I’ve let grow a little longer into a lob, so that I can tie it up and get less haircuts.

Most of my beauty brands are just Avon and drugstore brands - but I’ve swapped to Ren moisturiser because my skin became very sensitive during the pandemic (though I think that’s just age) and I won’t give that up, I’d rather turn down the heat and wear a jumper!

crazyH Tue 15-Mar-22 18:08:15

I’m low maintenance.
Colour my hair myself,
Self manicure and pedicure
Hair trimmed by daughter-in-law
Eyebrows, usually threaded or waxed once every few weeks

CanadianGran Tue 15-Mar-22 18:49:44

I think after a while luxuries become necessities to many people, and they will find a way to make it work for their budget.

I guess at the end, you will both be laying in long term care, one paid for by the government, the other by the person who saved their money. Who is right or wrong? I know, sort of a negative way of looking at it, but there is some truth to this.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Mar-22 18:57:16

Yes. I forgot expensive perfume, I just love No 5 and always have a bottle but I use it sparingly , a bottle will last about 3 years or more.