Gransnet forums

Webchats

Worried always

(7 Posts)
Grandof4 Thu 27-Oct-22 15:21:51

I am a grand of 4 boys ranging from 13-2yrs I watch 3 of the 4 on a regular basis Sun-Wed, this past Monday, the youngest tripped over one of his brothers feet and fell into the front door casing, he did cry for a little, but on the drive home, he fell asleep. I told his father what happened, his father asked if he hit his head, I did not know as it happened so fast, I had myself so worked up over this I cried for hours thinking that he really did hurt himself, and he would not wake up the next morning, my daughter tried to reassure me he was fine, which the next day he was, but now I have such anxiety about it. Just a bundle of nerves, anyone else deal with this and how do you cope?

Hithere Thu 27-Oct-22 15:29:00

Kids will have little accidents like this- it is normal

You seem to be doing a good job taking care of them, I wouldn't change anything or become more vigilant to avoid accidents from happening (some things are out of your control)

Grandof4 Thu 27-Oct-22 15:32:54

Thank you

teabagwoman Thu 27-Oct-22 16:17:22

I agree with Hithere, there’s only so much you can control.

seadragon Thu 09-Feb-23 22:02:45

We moved from the very North of Scotland to look after a grand baby in Devon from age 6 months till she was 3 years old whilst mum went back to work full time. Having spent most of my teen years from age 12 looking after my sister who was 11 years younger and brought up our 2 children with huge support from DH I was confident we could manage. However, the responsibility weighed heavily on my shoulders. I was particular conscious of GD's vulnerability driving her to and from nursery once a week as she sat in her car seat in the back of the car on very busy roads. DH was once more invaluable with his support and easy manner and he was always there. However, on one occasion, I was offered the chance to attend a 2 hour course I'd applied for unsuccessfully when a place became available on the day. I was away for 3 hours including travel time leaving DH 'in charge'. Horrors! When I got back I found DGD in DH's arms exhausted with sobbing. They were both covered in blood. We had neglected to work out a 'protocol' fo him going to the loo so he'd popped along leaving her momentarily alone. In seconds she had climbed up on a buggy parked in the hall, couped it and knocked a front tooth out! We could not find it anywhere; had to ring mum at work and met her up at the dental hospital where an X-ray revealed that the teeth had been pushed up into her gum. We were all distraught while she ran about charming patients and staff alike. The tooth was removed but we had to wait 8 years to see if her adult tooth would grow in normally, which it did with only a slight mark. We were all terribly upset and there was a bit of a falling out but we survived and DGD is doing well at school but we have returned to Scotland as we struggled with the heat in Devon so only see the wee one and her family once a year now. I had another fright with a DGS who came to stay with us in Scotland for a couple of weeks, initially with dad but on his own for the second week. He was poorly one night - sore joints I think - and I only had adult painkillers. I broke one up, gave him a tiny piece in warm milk and he went back to sleep. However in the morning I could not wake him up at first....but he was only teasing me and jumped up laughing. That was soooo scary!!.. I think it is not just what happened but what might have happened that is so scary. I think the responsibility for someone else's child is what weighs so heavily. I'd do it all over again though!

LRavenscroft Fri 10-Feb-23 06:56:21

I know what you mean about anxious but please check other areas of your life. Are you anxious about anything else? I wonder if it is a sign of us getting older. The fact that you are so conscientious is so good because it means you care. Perhaps stick with really predictable scenarios when your grandchild is in your care so as to maintain an inner calm for yourself.

Allsorts Fri 10-Feb-23 07:10:45

Grandif4, your reaction was entirely understandable, I too would have been worried. Children have their accidents but it’s so much harder when it’s a grandchild, you feel so guilty, I know I did. You are doing a remarkable job with those boys, I bet there’s not a lot of grandparents who could look after 3 boys for days at a time, so give yourself a pat on the back.