Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly - shall you?

(521 Posts)
suebailey1 Tue 02-Sep-14 14:09:23

Juts read the article in RT (in Smiths don't buy it) re Strictly Come Dancing and it looks dire - no Brucie and a guest list of no-one I have ever heard of except that coarse fruit and veg man and Andy Murray's sour faced mother.
I suppose I will get sucked in but I think its a record and wiz through job now - I like watching the professional dancers but can't stand the rubbish that Tess talks.
Will you be watching?

HollyDaze Tue 02-Sep-14 14:39:26

This is, apparently, the officil line-up.

Frankie Bridge (The Saturdays)
Scott Mills
Judy Murray
Thom Evans (rugby player)
Greg Wallace
Pixie Lott
Mark Wright
Caroline Flack
Simon Webbe (from Blue)
Jennifer Gibney (Mrs Brown's Boys)
Tim Wonnacott (Bargain Hunt)
Sunetra Sarker (Casualty)
Jake Wood (Eastenders)
Alison Hammond (This Morning)
Steve Backshall (Deadly 60)

I do know most of their names and faces but I shall be watching regardless of whether I know them or not. I'd never heard of Luis Smith before Strictly and he ended up becoming my favourite and I'm so glad he won.

kittylester Tue 02-Sep-14 14:48:33

I love Strictly but I'm a bit worried about the new version! I like both Tess and Claudia but think I would prefer a man to replace Brucie, I don't suppose Richard Armitage would be interested sad so it would have to be Anton!

It will be interesting to see what we all think when it gets going! I hope none of the contestants have a mum on gn. I found that a bit inhibiting last year!

annodomini Tue 02-Sep-14 15:01:30

I think we learnt a lesson on that subject,*kitty*. hmm

shysal Tue 02-Sep-14 15:21:38

I read that Claudia has had her fringe shortened to stop the audience commenting on it - good!

One of the contestants is my love child - can you guess which one?

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 16:27:43

Each year I recognise fewer and fewer people and this year it is only 4. Normally I look forward to it but not this year.

I agree, a man should have replaced Bruce and Claudia would be far down on my list. I would have liked to have seen John Barrowman take Bruce's place.

kittylester Tue 02-Sep-14 16:35:15

Anno, I'm not really sure what we learnt but it wasn't a good experience!

Tim Wonnacott , sal? grin

Does anyone else have a bit of a weird thing about Jake Wood? DD2 thinks he's gorgeous confused

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 16:37:37

kittylester I have no idea who he is!

sunseeker Tue 02-Sep-14 16:40:43

Not a programme I normally watch and not recognising most of the names on the list I don't think I will be changing my mind this year!

annodomini Tue 02-Sep-14 16:41:55

I have found, Charleygirl, that the contestants I don't initially recognise are often the ones I come to like and support. Why should a man have replaced Brucie? What's so special about male presenters?

henetha Tue 02-Sep-14 16:59:42

Yes, kettylester, I also have a 'thing' about about Jake Wood. Sex on legs!
I quite like the look of the line-up, it should be o.k. Give them a chance.
But not keen on Claudia Winkleman. Would much rather have a man to dally with Tess Daly.

rubylady Tue 02-Sep-14 17:25:54

I love Claudia, not that keen on Tess. I am looking forward however to this line up, some good names this year. Loving the fact that Tim Wannacott is doing it, that should be fun. And Jake Wood, the male totty alongside Steve Backshall, yummy, all that see through clothing and sequins.

Record both this and X factor and wizz through the boring bits. Although X factor Saturday was hilarious. Great to see Simon back. Eric seems to have made him a bit softer. grin

JessM Tue 02-Sep-14 17:46:38

Ms Murray is the only one I have heard of. But even DH may watch it occasionally now that the gruesome Bruce has gone. Good to see a programme with TWO WOMEN presenting it. Makes a refreshing change from either mostly men or one of each. Few other examples - but the BBC trust did something useful when they told the BBC management to stop being so sexist and stop keep on using only same old same old chaps.

shysal Tue 02-Sep-14 17:47:39

I also found last weekend's X Factor amusing, Ruby and also emotional!

I really can't see the appeal of Jake at all! confused I actually know of all of them apart from the rugby player.

rubylady Tue 02-Sep-14 17:56:06

I tell you Shysal I'm going to invent tissues for X factor and Long Lost Family. They would sell like hot cakes! Lol grin

shysal Tue 02-Sep-14 18:00:54

Oh yes, 'Long Lost Families' gets to me too! I will be your first customer.grin

annodomini Tue 02-Sep-14 19:18:51

Any bets on which no-hoper will be assigned to poor old Anton this year?

NanKate Tue 02-Sep-14 19:37:46

Now 'fess up Shysal who is your love child ?

It definitely isn't Steve Backshall who is a buddy of my DS.

On another thread someone asked me to find out from my DS why Steve B has signed up as she thought he seemed an unlikely contestant.

Well the reason is he is well known among kids but he (or his agent) what to raise his profile and this is an excellent place to do it. However about 3 years ago Steve broke his ankle badly falling down at cliff in Wales and he is just hoping that his ankle will withstand a few weeks of SCD.

Can't stand Claudia, especially that silly walk she does coming on stage - look out for it. I will have my eyes covered at that moment so will miss it. grin

ayse Tue 02-Sep-14 19:42:25

I'm going to miss it (away) but I'm not that bothered. I used to watch avidly but wonder if it's time to find a replacement?

Ivanova5 Tue 02-Sep-14 19:49:18

Will be giving it a miss - can't bear Tess or Claudia - and who are these so called "celebs" - no, will read a book

feetlebaum Tue 02-Sep-14 19:58:05

I suppose it's a woman's thing - personally, you couldn't pay me enough to watch it. At least I understand they have a band, with real musicians which is a rarity.

numberplease Tue 02-Sep-14 21:15:28

I will miss Bruce something awful, and cannot ABIDE Claudia Winkelman, can just about put up with Tess Daly, but I`ll still be watching, I love the music, the judges (apart from Darcy!), and the gorgeous clothes. Now Jake Wood, no way is he gorgeous, he can`t help his looks, bless him, but they`re not exactly heart stopping!

merlotgran Tue 02-Sep-14 21:26:08

Who are these people? confused grin

Nvella Wed 03-Sep-14 00:03:03

I loathed Bruce Forsyth and thought the shows Claudia and Tess did were really good but then I love Claudia Winkelman - fringe and all.

PRINTMISS Wed 03-Sep-14 08:03:02

What is it that Greg Wallace has that makes the BBC think him an ideal candidate for anything? Bald, fat, self-adoring, fronts a cookery show, - not sure if he can cook, and now he is going to be prancing around on our screens (if we watch) Ugh! Quite looking forward to Tim, though, I think he always seems good for a laugh, and knowledgeable about the show he fronts.